Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How much would you donate to a welfare-style charity, if you weren't taxed?

Poll

How much would you donate to a welfare-style charity, if you weren't taxed, on a monthly basis?

0%
- 7 (17.1%)
<1 - 2%
- 5 (12.2%)
3  -5%
- 9 (22%)
5 - 10%
- 10 (24.4%)
10 - 15%
- 7 (17.1%)
15 - 20%
- 1 (2.4%)
20%+
- 2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How much would you donate to a welfare-style charity, if you weren't taxed?  (Read 12999 times)

blackshard

I'd pay according to net income. If I make $2000 a month and my necessary expenses (rent, bills, basic food, etc) are $1800 a month, I'd calculate a tithe at $20, not $200. If my expenses were $1000, I'd give $100.

The "Deserving Poor" test: Offer them $20 to wash your car. If they refuse, they don't deserve the money.

Dude, I'd wash your car for $20. You'd have to be moderately well off or really fucking lazy to refuse. Try $5.

depends on how well he wants it washed and how bad it is in the first place. are we talking cleaning out the engine and full wax? that'd take a while longer. $20 is crap price if you spend 2 hours scrubbing at the engine.

Alex Libman

The Free State will not work unless there's enough charity!

Or else Michael Moore will come over and find some bum and have him tell his life story with Adagio for Strings as the soundtrack...  And then we lose our freedom!

So not only would I donate large sums to charity, I would look down on anyone who didn't.

And it feels pretty good actually.  You have more reasons to go to work every day other than your own fat ass.

money dollars

The Free State will not work unless there's enough charity!

Or else Michael Moore will come over and find some bum and have him tell his life story with Adagio for Strings as the soundtrack...  And then we lose our freedom!

So not only would I donate large sums to charity, I would look down on anyone who didn't.

And it feels pretty good actually.  You have more reasons to go to work every day other than your own fat ass.
You can support bums as much as you want....but don't send them my way.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org

Why?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

money dollars

cus he is  better than everyone else...he looks down on everyone...AKA assfuckinghole
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:16:14 AM by money dollars »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net

Dude, I'd wash your car for $20. You'd have to be moderately well off or really fucking lazy to refuse. Try $5.
And yet many of the homeless will refuse this offer. I shit you not.

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net

Why?
Because not everyone buys into the randist BS that charity is evil, because you would hope for the same in their situation, and it's not like he's saying he wants to threaten people who don't with fines or jailtime, so let him be.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org

not everyone buys into the randist BS that charity is evil

I'm not an Objectivist, but how is this answering my question of why someone would look down upon another for not caring about others?

you would hope for the same in their situation

So because he would want help, he can look down on others for not wanting help?

it's not like he's saying he wants to threaten people who don't with fines or jailtime, so let him be.

I take it as a given that people on this board do not want to force their opinions on others, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of irrationality. Small irrationalities can lead to great injustice.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day

I (or rather, my wife) already give about five percent, and I'm retired and fairly poor. I'd certainly at least double this, and would probably go higher if my income were more.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile

Most everyone would have separate issues they'd support financially. Giving booze money to bums would be rather low on my list, while sending a few bucks to the X-Prize foundation would be considerably higher.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net

You've got a funny definition of injustice if you can have injustice in absence of force and fraud.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile

I'm with Travis on this one.  It depends on a lot of things.

jckeyser

I would donate extra money to myself for my own entertainment.
I'd give bums what I give them now...jackshit.

mrapplecastle

charities suck, they have overhead costs, I would rather give an individual any money I wished to donate...

wtfk

They vary greatly.  Find out the specifics:

Charity Navigator
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How much would you donate to a welfare-style charity, if you weren't taxed?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.