Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

Poll

Is it rational to hold doors open for other people?

No.
- 2 (5.4%)
Yes.
- 28 (75.7%)
Depends on the person you're holding the door for.
- 7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Holding Doors Open  (Read 14842 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Holding Doors Open
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 07:50:36 PM »

Maybe I should get red hair too.   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »

Red streaks would be just FABULOUS!  :lol:

I used to have like, Crayola red streaks in my hair.  But that was when my hair was blonde. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 03:09:36 AM »

Anyway, yeah.  I'll get the door.

In fact, I'll go one step further and suggest sometimes you SHOULD hold the door.  There can be times if it's on a pneumatic hinge where your decision to release the door can hurt someone who may not expect it, or is not in a position to deflect it. 

In which case, it can be argued that you caused harm. 

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 03:13:19 AM »

I do have it on good authority that people you're trying to have sex with respond well to this simple courtesy.

I mean... if all the other reasons I outlined were unsatisfactory and all.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 03:17:00 AM »

It's true.  But if you're an asshole, don't try to cover it up.  Bitch my go Bobbit on your shit.   :shock:
         -George W. Bush

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 03:42:23 AM »

I think it's irrational for me to put forth effort explaining my opinions to you.

Why?

it's called 'polite.'

If it was considered polite to throw your trash on the ground where ever you are, would you do that?

Sometimes by expending a smidgen of effort to be nice, you recoup that investment and more in the long run.

Fine. But claim that, not that people that do so are selfless, kindhearted, and polite.

MobileDigit, you nicely ignored the part of my argument

I absolutely did not. Read my post again, and respond to my actual arguments.

It's called "not being an asshole" in zebraspeak.

Please define your terms.
Isn't there a difference between being mean and not being nice?

Not everything I do is logically rational, nor do I seek to have every behavior justified through rationality.

Why shouldn't that be your goal?

How is this chain of events irrational if I recieve a benefit that I am aiming for when I voluntarily engage in an activitiy?

Because the benefit comes about through irrational means. Your emotions are, by definition, not rational.

Are you saying that your valueset on what one should be satisfied doing is better than mine for my life?

I'm saying that the reasons one should be satisfied should be rational.

I'd like to add that expecting the world to be rational is not really a logical position given empirical evidence.

I fail to see how that is relevant.

I'll refer you to this poll that I started specifically to illustrate this point.  There is only one rational answer, and fewer than 50% of people here chose it.  Anyway, just some food for thought.

I found it interesting.

I personally try to be rational, and it bugs me when people aren't rational, but I realize that it's just a fact of life.  It's rational to accept reality :)

Do you disagree that rationality is superior to irrationality?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Bill Brasky

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 03:48:06 AM »

Well, someones got to get the door, cause these pigheads are slippery as hell. 

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 05:39:35 AM »

Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »

Mobile:  Why do you keep breaking my (and everyone else's) posts up into one-sentence chunks, yet leaving out certain sections?  I did respond that if you were to only encounter a situation like this once in your life, it would not be rational to hold the door open.  However, assuming that this situation will arise nearly infinite times in one's lifespan, it will actually save time and energy and also create goodwill between you and other people.  You could argue that it is even more rational to let other people hold the door for you and never to hold the door for them, but I would say that because this "game" is played sequentially and with full knowledge over the course of your lifespan, it is completely rational to hold the door open so that you can reasonably expect others to do the same for you.

bakerbaker

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 09:36:05 AM »

It's true.  But if you're an asshole, don't try to cover it up.  Bitch my go Bobbit on your shit.   :shock:

what did you just say?

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:31 AM »

Because the benefit comes about through irrational means. Your emotions are, by definition, not rational.
I'm saying that the reasons one should be satisfied should be rational.

Well Mobile, I disagree with you.  I guess that makes me irrational, but I'll glady accept my "irrationality" in this case.  Perhaps when I become more like this guy:

Then I might see things more your way.

...I think I'll continue to hold the door open, especially for the ladies.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »

what did you just say?

Scroll up. 
         -George W. Bush

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »

Mobile:  Why do you keep breaking my (and everyone else's) posts up into one-sentence chunks, yet leaving out certain sections?

The only way to get to the issue is to find the actual disagreements.
If we were to write long rambling paragraphs it would take us much longer to cut out the bullshit.
I think I am extremely intellectually honest in what I delete and respond to. I am interested in finding the truth, not promoting fallacies.
If you can find where I was not intellectually honest, please, let me know.

assuming that this situation will arise nearly infinite times in one's lifespan, it will actually save time and energy and also create goodwill between you and other people.

I contend that it only saves time and energy if the people are sufficiently spaced out. Otherwise, the door will barely close before the next person goes through.

If the spaces are large enough, the time saved is negative.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

bakerbaker

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »

what did you just say?

Scroll up. 

i see  :shock:

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

I contend that it only saves time and energy if the people are sufficiently spaced out. Otherwise, the door will barely close before the next person goes through.

If the spaces are large enough, the time saved is negative.

Okay, sure, but that's a completely different issue.  That's an issue of when it's efficient and rational to hold a door open.  I always go by the measure that if the door would have completely closed by the time the other person got to it, then it is better to not hold the door open for him or her.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

// ]]>

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 37 queries.