Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

Poll

Is it rational to hold doors open for other people?

No.
- 2 (5.4%)
Yes.
- 28 (75.7%)
Depends on the person you're holding the door for.
- 7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Holding Doors Open  (Read 14843 times)

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
Re: Holding Doors Open
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 02:39:26 PM »

It's not a big deal for me either way. If someone holds the door for me, I say thanks. Sometimes, I'll hold the door for someone, if I feel it's appropriate, like for a person in a wheelchair.
Julia

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »

MobileDigit, you nicely ignored the part of my argument which ties the whole thing together which is that throughout a person's life, that person will not be the first person to the door any more frequently than any other person on average.  Of course when you take it completely out of context and pretend that I'm saying it's rational for one person to always hold the door open for other people because he or she is always the first to get to the door then my argument doesn't make sense.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »

it's helpful

So?

saves them effort.

And costs you more.

That's why it's called 'polite.' As Celestrian pointed out, it's to make others feel good about you. Some people consider this important.

Being polite is irrational, remember?   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

zebraflood

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 06:34:22 PM »

Weird thread.

I'm not employed as a doorman so I don't stand outside buildings holding doors open for random people, but if someone's a few feet behind me as I'm entering a building I'll almost automatically keep my hand pressed against the inside so they have a chance to grab it before it starts to close. It's called "not being an asshole" in zebraspeak. Like holding the elevator for the guy running towards it. I don't consider keeping my hand pressed against the door for a few seconds longer than I usually would to be costing me anything. It's easy enough to say, "Oh I'm not going to do anything ever that doesn't directly benefit me," but I would call that more irrational than anything being said in this thread. Just because something doesn't immediately benefit you doesn't mean the minute investments won't provide some return someday. You don't exist in a vacuum. Sometimes it's beneficial to have built up that good repertoire with the locals.

cerpntaxt

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »

Does it piss off anyone else when someone kind of holds open a door for you? You know like they hold the door open kind of so that you don't have open the door kind of... That really doesn't make sense to me.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »

It only bothers me when I would have been better off had they done nothing at all.  This is more common when the door swings outward towards you.

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »

If it's not rational, why do you feel good doing it?

Because when I do it, the emotional satsifaction is gives me is enough of an incentive to spend an extra 5-6 seconds.

Remember.... emotions, me, part of my existence.  Not everything I do is logically rational, nor do I seek to have every behavior justified through rationality.  I am however, an organic biological being where emotions and the interplay of neurochemicals that trigger than are intrinsic to my existence.  In other words, my existence is defined in large part by the consequence of my physicality.

Back to holding doors open:

- I like it (a motivator)
- I do it  (an action)
- I recieve a positive response from the person (a reward)
- I get a sense of satisfaction from being "well mannered" (a reward)

How is this chain of events irrational if I recieve a benefit that I am aiming for when I voluntarily engage in an activitiy?  Are you saying that your valueset on what one should be satisfied doing is better than mine for my life?

---------
(EDIT: changed "and" to "an")
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2007, 07:47:18 PM »

I'd like to add that expecting the world to be rational is not really a logical position given empirical evidence.  I'll refer you to this poll that I started specifically to illustrate this point.  There is only one rational answer, and fewer than 50% of people here chose it.  Anyway, just some food for thought.  I personally try to be rational, and it bugs me when people aren't rational, but I realize that it's just a fact of life.  It's rational to accept reality :)

jckeyser

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »

Does it piss off anyone else when someone kind of holds open a door for you? You know like they hold the door open kind of so that you don't have open the door kind of... That really doesn't make sense to me.

Like when they see you coming and give the door a final shove before going inside, so that it closes right when you get there anyway?

cerpntaxt

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 09:09:44 PM »

YES!

jckeyser

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

It's not a big deal for me either way. If someone holds the door for me, I say thanks. Sometimes, I'll hold the door for someone, if I feel it's appropriate, like for a person in a wheelchair.

Or an old lady carrying a shitload of bags.

cerpntaxt

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »

or bagloads of shit

jckeyser

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 09:41:48 PM »

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »

If I saw someone carrying bags full of shit toward me, I'd probably close the door and lock it ;)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2007, 10:09:58 PM »

Like when they see you coming and give the door a final shove before going inside, so that it closes right when you get there anyway?

Yeah, that's what I get.   :x
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.