Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

Poll

Is it rational to hold doors open for other people?

No.
- 2 (5.4%)
Yes.
- 28 (75.7%)
Depends on the person you're holding the door for.
- 7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Holding Doors Open  (Read 14806 times)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
Holding Doors Open
« on: March 31, 2007, 03:25:27 AM »

I hate when people hold doors open for me.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
Re: Holding Doors Open
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 03:32:13 AM »

I don't mind when someone holds a door open.

I get pissed off when they hold a door open and then stand in the way.

rabidfurby

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 03:35:24 AM »

If the chick is hot, then yes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:48:20 AM by rabidfurby »

cerpntaxt

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:47:35 AM »

Generally, it serves no purpose, but there are exceptions when it may be useful, as RabidFurby mentioned.

jckeyser

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »

Why?

They normally stand in the way, and even if they don't they expect you to hold it open for them later.

To all those holding doors for anyone, why is it rational?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »

It's also just pleasant behavior, it may not be rational but nor is it irrational, it's just something nice  to do.

Why?

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »

If nothing else, it says you care enough about other people around you to let them enter the door first and/or not have the door slam in their face.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 11:46:35 AM »

I hold doors open for people, and always for women.  In Japan it's very wierd for them because if anyone holds a door open, it's generally women holding it open for men.  The reaction I recieve is always one of pleasant surprise.

I frankly don't care if it's rational or not.  It's the manners I was raised with, and I feel good doing it.  I don't need any other reason.  It helps grease social interactions with other human beings who also have emotional responses to many situations, and in that regard is very useful.  I could make that argument that this usefulness makes this a rational behavior, particularly if I am trying to achieve a level of rapport with an individual.

It's amazing what a random act of kindness that doesn't cost you anything can do.

(EDIT: changed "how" to "who")
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:49:35 AM by theCelestrian »
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

bakerbaker

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »

Why?

They normally stand in the way, and even if they don't they expect you to hold it open for them later.

To all those holding doors for anyone, why is it rational?

i hold doors open for people, generally....if they're close enough behind me.  I don't really stand in their way...that would kind of defeat the purpose of the hospitality.

and i don't expect people to hold them open for me.  on the contrary, i like opening them.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »

I would say that it is rational because it saves time.  If a group of people is walking through a doorway and spaced such that each can't hold the door open as s/he passes (the door has time to shut or mostly shut in-between people) then it is more efficient for the first person to reach the door to hold it open for the rest of the people because it saves time and energy across the whole group.  The person holding the door does not benefit in that particular instance, but that person will not always be the first person to get to the door.  I would conclude that holding doors open is efficient and thus rational.  There are also relational reasons for its rationality.  If you want to impress someone, then saving him or her time and energy by holding the door open is an effective way to achieve your goal.  That person will, in return, be more likely to do you a favor.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

First off, to say that holding open a door for another person is irrational is ridiculous.  Sorry.  "Holding doors open for other people is irrational behavior and we must do our best to eradicate it."  :roll:

I've never really had a door held open for me, so I don't know.  I've held them open for women with huge baby strollers, or somebody carrying something very large that could really use the help.  I've kind of had the thing where somebody walks in the door before you and kind of holds it a second longer so it doesn't slam in my face, but that's all.  It's not really a big deal to me. 

Maybe MobileDigit should move to Manhattan, and only go in and out of buildings with revolving doors. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »

it's helpful

So?

saves them effort.

And costs you more.

let them enter the door first

Why does that matter?

and/or not have the door slam in their face.

It's material on a hinge, not a stone falling from the sky.

I frankly don't care if it's rational or not.  It's the manners I was raised with, and I feel good doing it.

If it's not rational, why do you feel good doing it?

I don't need any other reason.

Why not?

It helps grease social interactions with other human beings who also have emotional responses to many situations, and in that regard is very useful.

If people didn't normally hold open doors, it wouldn't 'grease social interactions'.

It's amazing what a random act of kindness that doesn't cost you anything can do.

Why is it kind?

it is more efficient for the first person to reach the door to hold it open for the rest of the people because it saves time and energy across the whole group.

Not to the first person. It's only valid if there are significant gaps between the people, and even then fully opening the door may still work.

The person holding the door does not benefit in that particular instance, but that person will not always be the first person to get to the door.

So your argument is that the loss to the one is outweighed by the average efficiency boost to all when and only when there are large groups of spaced out people?

If you want to impress someone, then saving him or her time and energy by holding the door open is an effective way to achieve your goal.

Sure, if you are trying to impress an irrational person, irrational actions may be the trick. It is nonetheless irrational.

First off, to say that holding open a door for another person is irrational is ridiculous.  Sorry.

Well, I'm convinced!  :lol:

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »

I think it's irrational for me to put forth effort explaining my opinions to you. 

So you can rationally think of a way to jump up and kiss my ass on this one, pal.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

rah62

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »

Sometimes by expending a smidgen of effort to be nice, you recoup that investment and more in the long run.  By not tailgating or cutting someone off on the freeway, you might just keep yourself from being shot at in a "road rage" incident.  By holding the door open for someone at my apartment building, maybe they'll hold the door for me the next time I'm coming in with a large box.  Sure, it's a gamble and there's no guarantee - but I'm willing to take the risk to be pleasant to people in hopes that in some small way I can be a role model and that it might rub off on someone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Holding Doors Open

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 36 queries.