Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Happy Passover

Poll

Does anyone like Jew food?

Yes
- 10 (55.6%)
No
- 1 (5.6%)
Never tried it
- 5 (27.8%)
Never want to try it
- 2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Passover  (Read 9251 times)

blackie

Happy Passover
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_cuisine

I like bagels.

And I like hanukkah, because I get to fry everything.

But matzo bread and gefilte fish...who likes that stuff?

BonerJoe

Re: Happy Passover
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »

I had matzo ball soup a few months back. Bleh.

blackie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »

I made matzo ball soup a couple times. I don't get it. Do Jews like that kind of stuff, or are they just punishing themselves?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

Not until they accept me as their leader. 

<< Looks at phone.

Any minute, now. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »

Gefilte fish can be very very good if prepared right, comparable to Spam if not.  Matzah is not really supposed to taste all that great, but it can be prepared in such a way that it does.  I like it with cream cheese and jelly in a sandwich form.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

avshae

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:25:42 AM »

I made matzo ball soup a couple times. I don't get it. Do Jews like that kind of stuff, or are they just punishing themselves?

I suppose you intended to ask whether people like Jewish food.

Well, there are so many kinds. There's Moroccan, Yemenite, Ladino(Spanish), Etheopian, and the wider known East-European, from where matzo-ball, gefilte-fish and such come from.

Many traditional East-European Jewish dishes are easy to prepare badly, so many people don't like, say, matzo-ball since they tried a bad version the first time they tried, and they made up their mind prematurely. Plus East-European cuisine tends to be conservative with spices and is sometimes a bit bland.

Couple of days ago my wife made a killer "fusion matzo-ball" chicken soup using a spice called Hawayedge which comes from Etheopian cuisine. Killer.

PS she also wouldn't eat gefilte-fish at gunpoint.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:57:59 AM by avshae »

Russell Griswold

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:45:24 AM »

I've had really good matzo-ball soup at a nearby restaurant. I'm not sure how they made this one, but it was delicious.

blackie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

Many traditional East-European Jewish dishes are easy to prepare badly, so many people don't like, say, matzo-ball since they tried a bad version the first time they tried, and they made up their mind prematurely. Plus East-European cuisine tends to be conservative with spices and is sometimes a bit bland.

Couple of days ago my wife made a killer "fusion matzo-ball" chicken soup using a spice called Hawayedge which comes from Etheopian cuisine. Killer.
I've only made Manishevitz matzo ball soup

Get me your wife's killer matzo-ball soup recipe, please. I want to make matzo-balls for passover, but I want them to be good.

I don't know if I will be able to get Hawayedge.
"Hawayedge" is a mix of spices from Yemen made with black pepper, cumin, cardamom, caraway seeds, turmeric, saffron and coriander and perhaps a few other spices.

but I found a Hawayedge chicken soup recipe.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:30:30 AM by blackie »

patrickj

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:04 AM »

Bagels are one of the greatest food innovations known to mankind.  Matzo ball soup.. i personally don't care for very much.. but i don't dislike the taste.  Its the texture and soup quality that i don't like. 

avshae

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »

I've only made Manishevitz matzo ball soup

Get me your wife's killer matzo-ball soup recipe, please. I want to make matzo-balls for passover, but I want them to be good.

You can use the Manishevitz as a base, just spice up the mixture a bit before cooking. My wife reported that she used a special "Hawayedge for soup" spice blend, salt, pepper, and chicken soup powder in the mixture. But even if you can't get genuine Hawayedge, I suppose if you throw in calculated dosages of those ingredients of Hawayedge that you can obtain (from the list you quoted), thats already a big improvement compared to plain white-bread (pardon, matza) matzo-ball.

AntonLee

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

bagels are polack food.  Jews just happen to eat them.

blackie

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »

But even if you can't get genuine Hawayedge, I suppose if you throw in calculated dosages of those ingredients of Hawayedge that you can obtain (from the list you quoted), thats already a big improvement compared to plain white-bread (pardon, matza) matzo-ball.
I guess that is what I will have to do. I just got some saffron, and it cost $13 per gram. That is as much as good cannabis costs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron
Saffron (pronounced /ˈsæfrən/, /ˈsæfrɒn/) is a spice derived from the dried stigma of the flower of the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus), a species of crocus in the family Iridaceae.

Saffron, which has for decades been the world's most expensive spice by weight

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »

Only a day left until Zombie Jesus Day!
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

I don't like Jewish food.  They've taken some ideas from Arabs, Slavic peoples, etc... and then made them worse.  Garsh darn it, they've even managed to FUBAR up their wine!  I guess that's what you get with cultural isolationism...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:16:05 AM by Alex Libman »

blackie

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »

So I made some Hawayedge matzo ball soup, but I didn't have any idea on amounts of spices to use. So I didn't measure as I added them.

I only made about 10 matzo balls. I think I need to make them smaller, and use more spices. But they were the best matzo balls I have had so far. I used Manishevitz matzo ball mix as a base. I used potato starch instead of eggs(Ener-G Egg-Replacer). I will try to make some more today.

I based my recipe on the one here.

bunch o' large TVP chuncks
2 tomatoes
1 onion
4 stalks of celery
4 potatoes
veg. bullion cubes
N-word rigged hawayedge spice

I used a pack of telma vegetable soup and seasoning cubes(Product of Israel).

But I also had to add a box of Knorr bullion cubes, because the three telma cubes weren't enough.

The kids that tried it liked it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Happy Passover

// ]]>

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 37 queries.