Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith

Poll

What did you think of the 9/27 show with Gardner Goldsmith?

Gardner is great! Make him a regular co-host!
- 37 (58.7%)
He's OK in small doses. Bring him on every few weeks or so.
- 20 (31.7%)
He was annoying. I hate his haircut. Please, no more Gardner.
- 0 (0%)
Fire Manwich! Hire El G Grande!!
- 6 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith  (Read 29976 times)

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2006, 06:33:55 PM »

Liberty hasn't happened yet in New Hampshire.  You're telling me to make a choice to abandon nine years of higher education, the accompanying financial investment, and my ideal career to live in a state which might become a little bit more free over a very long period of time.  Uh, no. 

Such slogans might make more sense to somebody without much to lose. 

Yeah no shit, I KNOW it hasn't happened yet, but saying that you may lose your education job because you would work at a state university and state involvement in education would be done away with if FSPers became completely in charge as a reason for not moving to New Hampshire just doesn't hold water.  A little more free? A little more free than it is already (which it is already very free) would be a lot more free than wherever you live now let me tell you. Plus you don't know how free we all can make it with the amount of people already moved and moving there.
 Like I already posted, liberal arts aren't just going to disappear even in completely privately run and owned institutions of higher learning, because they're not as profitable as business or the sciences.
 Believe me it is worth it to move to a place where other libertarians are all there fighting for freedom and you wouldn't necessarily be "abandoning" anything by the move.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:58:33 PM by Porcupine_in_MA »

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2006, 10:56:36 PM »

Denis,

Plus, no one wants to commute to work if they don't have to.  Gardner HATES his drive.  That's time that could be spent doing productive things, instead of just burning fuel.

That's one thing I don't get.  Lots of us in large urban areas do lots of commuting.  Sure, maybe in the 90s it sucked but now we have podcasts.  Commuting is a great time to make some phone calls (like my weekly calls to various members of my family) or listen to podcasts.  I try to combine it with trips to Fedex, the gym, or the store so it is even less bad.  Heck, I've even called FTL while driving :)  Make sure you have bumper stickers on your car so that you are being an activist while you drive :)
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2006, 12:47:39 PM »

No, it still sucks even with celphones and podcasts.  If you love your commute, I think you're sick in the head.  What commuter wouldn't give it up if he had the chance?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »

I don't love it.  I just wanted to live in the nicest (safest/lowest cost) area I can find within 45 min of all the stuff I want to do (jobs, schools, friends, family, gyms, bars, venues, stores) and it just never happens to be near all of those things.  Commuting used to be a fact of life for a lot of people that was not fun, now it is a lot better.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »

Denis,
Thanks for the suggestions.

lol... that's a bit more diplomatic than my posts warranted, but thanks :D

Plus, no one wants to commute to work if they don't have to.  Gardner HATES his drive.  That's time that could be spent doing productive things, instead of just burning fuel.
No, it still sucks even with celphones and podcasts.  If you love your commute, I think you're sick in the head.  What commuter wouldn't give it up if he had the chance?

I used to think the same thing, really.

Now I commute 2 times a week (sometimes none, sometimes 3, but usually 2 times) from Concord to Nashua. It's about 45 minutes each way, and it's gorgeous. It it weren't for the commute, I would hear maybe 1 FTL per week instead of 5 or 6.

Plus, my FREE-NH license plate, NHFree bumper sticker, FSP bumper sticker, and (starting next week) NHLA bumper sticker really do get pro-liberty messages in front of NH natives, which is a Good Thing.

Garder has a LOONG commute that he has to do EVERY DAY.
It's possible to commue a few times a week, and that's much more manageable.
Plus I drive a hybrid-electric vehicle. It sucks to burn gas, but at 60 MPG, I'm not burning all that much ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 01:59:42 PM by d_goddard »

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »

I smell a new show topic that may get callers. (I personally love driving... I loved listening to the radio while I used to have an hour drive to work a long time ago.. )

Granted, I'd have preferred to be free to not have to drop 2 hours every day... but the drive can be enjoyable. Really, nowadays though... the worst part about any commute is the ridiculous price of gas.

"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2006, 02:41:26 PM »

Granted, I'd have preferred to be free to not have to drop 2 hours every day... but the drive can be enjoyable. Really, nowadays though... the worst part about any commute is the ridiculous price of gas.

Ridiculously low?  It costs around $2.10 around here.  That is not bad at all.  Maybe if it was $4.50 or something I would be really upset.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2006, 02:44:30 PM »

Next time you are setting money on fire... can you send some my way?  :D

edit: granted 2.10 is not bad when you consider nationwide prices, but I remember when I filled up a tank in Georgia for .85 per gallon not too many years ago.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:56:08 PM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »

I remember when I filled up a tank in Georgia for .85 per gallon
Grampaw, can you tell us about when you were young, and people didn't even have MP3 players?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »

Yeah, we had audio cassette tapes instead of mp3 players, and atari 2600s were our game consoles. It was a golden age called "The 80s"

(although I got the .85 cent gas in '98)

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »

Yeah, we had audio cassette tapes instead of mp3 players

Wait a sec, aren't you 28 or something?  No records?   :)

and atari 2600s were our game consoles. It was a golden age called "The 80s"

Favorite games:  Maze Craze, Adventure, Breakout, Combat

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2006, 04:04:06 PM »

Records were more of a 60's / 70's thing... by the 80's it was about 8 Tracks, and Cassette tapes... Records has already started to go the way of being a tool for only DJ's and connesieurs. Records are going away even further now adays with the introduction of: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/fs/fs2_vid_pop.html

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »

Next time you are setting money on fire... can you send some my way?  :D

edit: granted 2.10 is not bad when you consider nationwide prices, but I remember when I filled up a tank in Georgia for .85 per gallon not too many years ago.

Last I paid was 2.05 and it is even lower now (I just said 2.10 because that is more of an average of local stations).  On my commute home tonight, I was on hold with FTL the entire time.  I'd say that is a good use of a drive :)

Update:  And I meant to say that I remember buying gas at 99cents.  However, just because it used to be 99cents does not mean twice that is very high or anything.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:29:13 AM by Keith and Stuff »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »

On my commute home tonight, I was on hold with FTL the entire time.
Hey.. I never thought of it, but that's a sneaky way to listen to FTL Live, while you're not actually in range of an FTL-broadcasting station. Just call in, get put on hold, and ta-da, you're listening to the show. Just tell whoever answers the phone that your name is Glenn in Missouri, and you can be safely on hold the whole time ;)

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2006, 09:43:28 PM »

Yeah, we had audio cassette tapes instead of mp3 players

Wait a sec, aren't you 28 or something?  No records?   :)

and atari 2600s were our game consoles. It was a golden age called "The 80s"

Favorite games:  Maze Craze, Adventure, Breakout, Combat

Worst game ever: ET
Julia
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.