Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith

Poll

What did you think of the 9/27 show with Gardner Goldsmith?

Gardner is great! Make him a regular co-host!
- 37 (58.7%)
He's OK in small doses. Bring him on every few weeks or so.
- 20 (31.7%)
He was annoying. I hate his haircut. Please, no more Gardner.
- 0 (0%)
Fire Manwich! Hire El G Grande!!
- 6 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith  (Read 29985 times)

One two three

• View Profile
Re: Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 04:37:02 PM »

I'd like to teach at Dartmouth.  But the sad thing is that if the FSP takes hold, it would most likely put me out of a job. 

I don't get it. How will that put you out a job?  Also, you must be quite good at something if you think you can get a job at one of the world's top universities.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »

First Question: Yes. Free Talk Live.

Next: Why would I want to destroy an hour and a half 2+ hours of my day every day by living in Hillsboro?

Well, I was kidding.  I don't want you being on FTL 6 days per week.  I also think you should look at other places besides Keene.  Hillsboro is a very short drive from Concord during good weather (less than 30 min for me) so it is in cummting distance to lots of places (45 min from Keene, 50 min to Manchester).  I was just throwing it out there.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 04:53:33 PM »

I'd like to teach at Dartmouth.  But the sad thing is that if the FSP takes hold, it would most likely put me out of a job. 

I don't get it. How will that put you out a job?  Also, you must be quite good at something if you think you can get a job at one of the world's top universities.

If universities cease to use any government funding (which is the libertarian ideal) then only those departments which prove themselves marketable will make a profit, and hence justify their existence.  There are philanthropists, of course, but they have only so much money to go around...and often their interests are questionable (see for example the Templeton Foundation: http://www.templeton.org/).  Therefore, if your discipline is an area which does not turn out graduates who are immediately big producers, there wouldn't be much call for you to teach them.  That would include most of the humanities, arts, social sciences, etc...and even many of the "hard" sciences.  People take out loans and work for years and years to get graduate degrees in these areas, but under a libtertarian system it appears that the job market for them would be even more slim. 

I don't know if I could get a job teaching at Dartmouth, but it would seem like a good idea since it would mean simultaneously pursuing my own career and pursuing the ideal of libertarianism in NH.  However, the irony is that if such an effort should be successful, it would ultimately be self-defeating. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:59:12 PM by Rillion »

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 06:21:33 PM »

We all have to make sacrifices for liberty don't we?

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 06:23:44 PM »

I honestly doubt that if libertarianism were to be the prevailing way of life in New Hampshire that teaching of the arts would suffer. There will always be a market for it, just a slightly different market because it won't be assumed that it will be supported no matter what at everyone elses expense.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »

Yes, and that frightens me. 

As long as they're libertarians what does it matter as to whether or not they are devout Christians?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 07:43:23 PM »

b/c religious beliefs are often in conflict with freedom.

IE: Being Anti-Homesexual, or being anti-choice. (especially when they try to argue that a fetus is not only a fullblown human being, but one that has rights that trump those of another human being)

Many Libertarians have some very concerning beliefs. If you don't think so, you haven't listened to Neal Boortz or Larry Elder talk about how they feel about the Iraq war.

To say you are libertarian, is not the same as understanding the Libertarian philosophy and to strive to become more principled.

I'm willing to go there to get down to these issues though... At least most Libertarians understand that the other stuff is a non-issue, the schools need to be privatized... taxes need to go away... etc etc...

Just because we are gathering those who will agree and get done MOST of what needs to get done, doesn't mean I won't be still concerned that there will be problems that remain once we have taken care of the other stuff first....
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 07:56:49 PM »

First Question: Yes. Free Talk Live.

Next: Why would I want to destroy an hour and a half 2+ hours of my day every day by living in Hillsboro?

Well, I was kidding.  I don't want you being on FTL 6 days per week.  I also think you should look at other places besides Keene.  Hillsboro is a very short drive from Concord during good weather (less than 30 min for me) so it is in cummting distance to lots of places (45 min from Keene, 50 min to Manchester).  I was just throwing it out there.

You just don't like Keene. It's very nice here. Commuting sucks.
Julia

burnthebeautiful

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2006, 08:09:17 PM »

Keene makes sense.

I reccomend not deciding until you have driven around the state and visited the different regions. As I said in the Mark hating NH thread, I pretty much despised southern NH, or at least Dover, Portsmouth and Manchester, which were the 3 southern towns I visited. Simultaneously, I loved every town I visted in the mountains/lakes region.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 08:33:41 PM »

b/c religious beliefs are often in conflict with freedom.

IE: Being Anti-Homesexual, or being anti-choice. (especially when they try to argue that a fetus is not only a fullblown human being, but one that has rights that trump those of another human being)

Many Libertarians have some very concerning beliefs. If you don't think so, you haven't listened to Neal Boortz or Larry Elder talk about how they feel about the Iraq war.

To say you are libertarian, is not the same as understanding the Libertarian philosophy and to strive to become more principled.

I'm willing to go there to get down to these issues though... At least most Libertarians understand that the other stuff is a non-issue, the schools need to be privatized... taxes need to go away... etc etc...

Just because we are gathering those who will agree and get done MOST of what needs to get done, doesn't mean I won't be still concerned that there will be problems that remain once we have taken care of the other stuff first....

Sorry, but those aren't particularly "religious" beliefs. A lot of folk have those prejudices, and I wouldn't worry about devout Christians who are FSP members being anything but what I think of as real libertarians as opposed to Larry Elder and Neal Boortz which have some libertarian opinions but I don't consider to be real libertarians. I am devoutly religious but not Christian or even monotheistic for that matter. I would say all of my beliefs are completely inline with freedom. I've met many devout Christians who would never dream of imposing their beliefs on others, several of them felllow Porcupines.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

Keene makes sense.

I reccomend not deciding until you have driven around the state and visited the different regions. As I said in the Mark hating NH thread, I pretty much despised southern NH, or at least Dover, Portsmouth and Manchester, which were the 3 southern towns I visited. Simultaneously, I loved every town I visted in the mountains/lakes region.

Do you know for sure that he hasn't driven around already and has just decided that he likes Keene the most?

burnthebeautiful

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »

Keene makes sense.

Do you know for sure that he hasn't driven around already and has just decided that he likes Keene the most?

I don't know that for sure, no. I haven't heard Ian or Mark mention anything about having travelled around. As I understand it, Ian and Mark researched different towns/areas online and decided on Keene and bought the house before they'd even visited the state. If they've visited anywhere else, it's been since they moved, and they've been busy, so...

koolaide

• I cut so much, you thought I was a DJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2006, 11:23:52 PM »

I thought he was great. In fact, it was probably one of the best FTLs I've heard in quite a long time.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2006, 11:40:43 PM »

I have no interest in living in any particular area of New Hampshire to be honest. I really don't care. I'm a homebody when I need to be, and when I like to go out... I like Urban areas... L.A., Venice, Boston, NYC, Paris. These are the CITIES I like. In NH, it really doesn't matter where I live, becuase I'm not really going to like the area... I'm just not a big pussy, like Mark. I'll find NEW ways to make myself happy. I grew up in CT, NH seems to have plenty of woods... and Keene is a college town... I forsee paintball, and various wargames in my future... along with hiking and outdoor photography possible... who knows.

I'll be more happy when hopefully in 20 years after we have legalized Gambling, Prostitution, and Marijuana, that somewhere in NH will become the New Las Vegas.

(no indian reservations needed)

"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »

Then you should think of Manchester.  It is already known by the cool people as Manchvegas.  It has tons of stuff to do and is very urban in feel.  It has an international airport, tons of 1 way roads and red lights, lots of highways and interstates, a large and growing population of people that are either not from America or had parents from somewhere else (this should be 30% of the population in the next few years or so), and an exciting social life.  The biggest music and sports acts either come to the city or right next to it.  For example, they have pro-sports games (Boston sports teams) in the city, their own pro-sports games, pretty much any big music act, one of the the biggest motorcycle rally less than an hour north, one of the biggest nascar events around 30 min north, and the biggest acts in entertainment either to the city or somewhere within 30 min. like Bill Cosby just over the border in MA.  Concord for the political stuff is only 20 min north and Boston is less than an hour south.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Garder 'El G Gande' Goldsmith

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.