Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  func( arg1, arg2 )

Poll

Is it superior to func(arg1, arg2)?

Sometimes.
- 2 (13.3%)
No.
- 9 (60%)
Yes.
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: func( arg1, arg2 )  (Read 8386 times)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
func( arg1, arg2 )
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »

I find putting spaces before/after arguments to be mildly annoying, so if you are someone that codes that way, why do you do it?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

theghostofbj

Re: func( arg1, arg2 )
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »

Jesus...

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:19:52 PM »

I'm serious.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

readability
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:39:36 PM »

I disagree. By introducing extra spaces, it makes it more difficult to read, because the important parts are not cleanly separated.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »

To my eyes there is.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »

To my eyes there is.

I don't understand.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »

I hate bastards that code in a way that hurts my eyes.

#1 USE FUCKING WHITESPACE
If it bothers you that much, write an editor macro that strips them before opening, and reintroduces upon close.

#2 USE FUCKING VOWELS
Some people act like they cost extra. I'll take "newFile" over "nwfl" any day.

#3 USE TABS AND DIE
\t is not on your term what it might be on my term. You want whitespace, you use ASCII 0x20, period

Thanks.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »

Are you arguing for or against the extra spaces?

felix.benner

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:33 AM »

If it bothers you that much, write an editor macro that strips them before opening, and reintroduces upon close.

#3 USE TABS AND DIE
\t is not on your term what it might be on my term. You want whitespace, you use ASCII 0x20, period

If it bothers you that much, write an editor macro that changes tabs at the beginning into 4 spaces and reintroduces upon close.
Whitespace is to separate tokens, tab is to indent.

wtfk

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 04:48:15 AM »

#3 USE TABS AND DIE

If it bothers you that much, write an editor macro that changes tabs at the beginning into 4 spaces and reintroduces upon close.
Whitespace is to separate tokens, tab is to indent.

Tab is to confuse.  Joe uses 2 character tabs, Sam uses 4.  Sally uses 8 character tabs, Simon 3.  I use four spaces, and Joe, Sam, Sally and Simon can read my code.

ladyattis

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »

I use the extra spaces for visual legibility since my eyes are fracked up anymore. But I would say I prefer the lack of the spaces in most cases only because I don't want to have to reset my tabs based on the extra white space (ex. foo ( one , two ) <-- okay, but I find it annoying as the final product, foo(one, two) <-- better since the extra space is only between the arguments and not between the brackets or the function/method name. ).

-- Brede

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:05:23 PM »

Are you arguing for or against the extra spaces?

How do I make it clearer, so you can read it?
Like this?
#1USEFUCKINGWHITESPACE

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »

Tab is to confuse.  Joe uses 2 character tabs, Sam uses 4.  Sally uses 8 character tabs, Simon 3.  I use four spaces, and Joe, Sam, Sally and Simon can read my code.

If you indent with tabs, then everyone can read your code in the presentation most comfortable for them.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

rabidfurby

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »

If you indent with tabs, then everyone can read your code in the presentation most comfortable for them.

Not necessarily. Consider this code, where \t represents a tab:

Code: [Select]
if (foo % 42 == pow(bar, 2) &&
\tfoo != baz)
{
\tprintf("whee!");
}

With tabstops set to four spaces, you get the following:

foo != baz)
{
    printf("whee!");
}

The two lines of the conditional line up, which is probably what the author intended to improve readability. With 8-space tabstops, you get this:

foo != baz)
{
        printf("whee!");
}

The conditional no longer lines up, breaking the author's intended readability. This is a contrived example, obviously, but the point is that using \t can and will break readability.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  func( arg1, arg2 )

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.