Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  FSP: is bigger always better?

Poll

Should the FSP focus more on quantity or quality?

The more the merrier!
Commies, stay home!
What is this FSP you speak of?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP: is bigger always better?  (Read 10592 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: FSP: is bigger always better?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 02:01:40 AM »

I voted for quantity over quality.
So... .you movin' up to NH? :P

Brian Wolf

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 02:30:21 AM »

I vote for a second free state project in Arizona or Nevada.
Then all of the people who love freedom but hate the snow could go there.
We'd even take the 'undesirable' ones, because if they would be willing to pack up and move to a place so that they can have a little more freedom, chances are that they can persuaded that everyone should have freedom if they desire it, if we lead by example.

Mike Barskey

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
    • My own web site
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »

I voted for quantity over quality.
So... .you movin' up to NH? :P

Well, I'm contemplating it. My girlfriend and I are visintg NH in February (we're catching the last day of the Liberty Forum) to check it out. I want to live in a environment I like (geographically), but if it ends up that I don't move to NH I will still support FSP and liberty other ways (actually, the same ways with the exception of joining the FSP).

- Mike

Hittman

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 11:47:18 AM »

If someone is going to judge a political system on the looks of the members, and not on the principal of the ideals, then they probably wouldn't be a libertarian anyway. 

This isn't about how we look at each other, it's how the public looks at us. 

Every crazy fucker who screams "I'm a libertarian" hurts the image of the movement among the general public, who don't know the difference between the crazy fucker and the rest of us. 

Brian Wolf

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »

If someone is going to judge a political system on the looks of the members, and not on the principal of the ideals, then they probably wouldn't be a libertarian anyway. 

This isn't about how we look at each other, it's how the public looks at us. 

Every crazy fucker who screams "I'm a libertarian" hurts the image of the movement among the general public, who don't know the difference between the crazy fucker and the rest of us. 

The general public is brainwashed by the big government nanny state. To them ALL libertarians are crazy fuckers. Its the nut point of view for now.
I don't see how alienating a group of current libertarians in an attempt to sell some sort of fake image of us helps our cause.

What does a good Libertarian look like? Do we really want to sell it as a ideal good for only one specific group?
Do we only want clean cut guys in power suits to switch to Libertarianism? Because that would leave a large portion of the populace out of the equation.

bakerbaker

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

It's not just possible statists I'm worried about.  I don't want the wrong kind of libertarians there either.  They can really be just as bad.

just curious, i'm not sure if anyone has brought this up, but...what sorts of characteristics would you say denotes what you would call would perceive as the wrong kind of libertarian?

Taors

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »

It's not just possible statists I'm worried about.  I don't want the wrong kind of libertarians there either.  They can really be just as bad.

just curious, i'm not sure if anyone has brought this up, but...what sorts of characteristics would you say denotes what you would call would perceive as the wrong kind of libertarian?

He doesn't like Anarcho-capitalists.

Smitty507

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 04:26:08 PM »

I like Communitsts.  A true Communists as an anarchist.  The problem is that for Communism to work everyone has to agree to the principal without free-rifders.  We'll see how well that works out.

bakerbaker

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 04:31:47 PM »

So what?  The Anarcho-capitalists are going to be moving in the exact same direction as the minarchists...smaller government.  I mean, and its going to take awhile before the FSP reaches a point where the minarchists say, "alright, we've cut it down to a sufficient and constitutional size," and the freemarketeer's say, "no, we need to take this further..."

so why even worry about it for the time being?  The wrong kind of libertarian is the one moving up to New Hampshire with the expection, or, god forbid, the intention of employing violent means in their quest for glorious freedom.  So yeah, no itchy-trigger fingers.  I mean, the FSP should certainly deter people with the impression that this is going to end up being just another violent, bloody revolution.

Granted, we want revolution...

The right kind of libertarian is anyone who is willing to work towards that goal of smaller government, period.  Anarcho-Capitalist, or not, if your're willing to fight for freedom by the use of whatever non-violent means might be available to you, we want you in the Free State.

Taors

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »

So what?  The Anarcho-capitalists are going to be moving in the exact same direction as the minarchists...smaller government.  I mean, and its going to take awhile before the FSP reaches a point where the minarchists say, "alright, we've cut it down to a sufficient and constitutional size," and the freemarketeer's say, "no, we need to take this further..."

so why even worry about it for the time being?  The wrong kind of libertarian is the one moving up to New Hampshire with the expection, or, god forbid, the intention of employing violent means in their quest for glorious freedom.  So yeah, no itchy-trigger fingers.  I mean, the FSP should certainly deter people with the impression that this is going to end up being just another violent, bloody revolution.

The right kind of libertarian is anyone who is willing to work towards that goal of smaller government, period.  Anarcho-Capitalist, or not, if your're willing to fight for freedom by the use of whatever non-violent means might be available to you, we want you in the Free State.

I don't know man. I completely agree with you. You'd have to ask Charles.

Brian Wolf

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 06:21:40 PM »

So what?  The Anarcho-capitalists are going to be moving in the exact same direction as the minarchists...smaller government.  I mean, and its going to take awhile before the FSP reaches a point where the minarchists say, "alright, we've cut it down to a sufficient and constitutional size," and the freemarketeer's say, "no, we need to take this further..."

so why even worry about it for the time being?  The wrong kind of libertarian is the one moving up to New Hampshire with the expection, or, god forbid, the intention of employing violent means in their quest for glorious freedom.  So yeah, no itchy-trigger fingers.  I mean, the FSP should certainly deter people with the impression that this is going to end up being just another violent, bloody revolution.

The right kind of libertarian is anyone who is willing to work towards that goal of smaller government, period.  Anarcho-Capitalist, or not, if your're willing to fight for freedom by the use of whatever non-violent means might be available to you, we want you in the Free State.

I definitely agree with that. We don't want violent people, but libertarians aren't necessarily pacifists either, I would defend myself with force if acted upon with force.

Charles

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »

This is my finals week so my posting has been sporatic.

I'll address a few things.

First off:

Most of the people who order the most horrible acts imaginable are dressed up in nice business suits, remember that the next time you judge someone based on their taste in fashion.

That's kind of the point.  They managed to perform terrible acts partly because of how they present themselves.  I'm not saying that libertarians have to wear suits instead of t-shirts.  There's far more to presentation than dressing and looking normal.  Personally, I think looking and dressing normal would be a step up for quite a few members of the FSP/LP.  It seems about 80% of people in the LP or FSP I've held conversations with give off a creepy vibe.  I've met more Libertarians who would keep me away from the LP if I wasn't determined to try and help make the LP less weird than I really would like to consider.

It's not that I dislike anarcho-capitalism, it's just that I don't think we should even be talking about the dissolution of the state at the current place we're at.  In this forum, whatever, but if I have to hear anarcho-capitalists start to go on about roads or bridges in the name of Libertarian when we're trying to convince people to come to a meeting, it's not helpful.

Further, some of the FSP and LP members I've met are talking about violence.  If you want to turn someone off to your cause, that's a great way to do it.

I just am not seeing the LP grow like it should.  We  can blame the two party system all we want, but at some point we have to accept responsibility.  The reform caucus is gonna try something new, and I think they're gonna fail.  The LP doesn't need to broaden it's outreach like the republicans or democrats, it needs to fix its image.

Taors

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 11:37:58 PM »

I just wish the LP would make more progress...what's it been, 30+ years?

Smitty507

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 11:39:32 PM »

I think it's time we take things into our own hands and make our own progress.

Taors

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 12:04:30 AM »

I think it's time we take things into our own hands and make our own progress.

http://agorism.info/
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  FSP: is bigger always better?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 44 queries.