Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Fear of Death in Different Cultures

Poll

In which of the following countries / regions do you think people are MOST afraid of death?

USA
- 17 (73.9%)
China
- 0 (0%)
India  (just the Hindus)
- 0 (0%)
Japan
- 1 (4.3%)
Northern Europe  (Germanic, Baltic)
- 3 (13%)
Southern Europe  (Latin)
- 0 (0%)
Eastern Europe  (Slavic, etc)
- 1 (4.3%)
Latin America
- 1 (4.3%)
Muslim World
- 0 (0%)
Sub-Saharan Africa
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Death in Different Cultures  (Read 15076 times)

Alex Libman 15

Re: Fear of Death in Different Cultures
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »

Good post, Mike.

All animals (minus some collectivist insects) have instincts to avoid death, but the human concept of mortal terror exists on a higher level of consciousness, and can thus result in a more diverse, complicated, and powerful emotions.  It would seem, however, that consciousness can be altered through culture and life experience - a human mind can be flexed all sorts of ways, from memorizing the Quran by age six to the most complex of theoretical physics to amazing acting talents to the Pirahã culture that lacks understanding of even the most elementary arithmetic.  All those variations probably have significant impact on how people perceive their mortality.

DogCow

• Moof!
    • View Profile
    • DogCow Myspace Page
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »

Maybe if we were taking this poll in Israel the results would be different.  I'm sure that they love their life too, just like the Europeans, the Chinese and the Koreans.  I think everyone thinks their lives are the most important and in the USA we are particularly selfish also. We believe that the rest of the world should bow and give its treasure to us so we won't be inconvenienced while the rest of the world starves and dies of disease and war.  I'm cheery aren't I.
--
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »

We believe that the rest of the world should bow and give its treasure to us so we won't be inconvenienced while the rest of the world starves and dies of disease and war. 

Well, yeah. I don't see the problem here.  :?
Pocho
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Fear of Death in Different Cultures

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 37 queries.