Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does this make sense?

Poll

Does any religious plus political idealogy make any sense?

Yes, OBEY AND CONFORM, OR DIE!
- 0 (0%)
No, my non/religion has little to do with my wish for nosey neighbors to stay off my lawn.
- 7 (41.2%)
Maybe, God could be a hippy libertarian...
- 5 (29.4%)
WTF J00 NUB!!!
- 5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this make sense?  (Read 1441 times)

ladyattis

Does this make sense?
« on: July 23, 2007, 01:59:03 AM »

Um... BORK BORK BORK!

-- Brede

Bill Brasky

Re: Does this make sense?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:54:27 AM »

AlexLibman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:06:37 AM »

Any political ideology is a religion.

Ed

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »

I think God's a libertarian.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »

I've known Unitarian Libertarians with whom I'd have no argument.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Bill Brasky

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:23 PM »

Any political ideology is a religion.

Not really. 

Is it a religion to consider the options and come to a conclusion, then apply that conclusion to a basic template of action?

I don't think I worship my plan of actions.  Maybe I do.  But it seems much simpler to me than that. 

Its just right and wrong, and I try to avoid the wrong.  I'll admit, I respect some aspects of it, like truth.  Maybe even to the point of worshipfulness (if thats even a word) when I recognize it in others. 

But it's those aspects I respect that bring people to the conclusion of agreement or disagreement with my political leanings, not the ideology itself.  There are numerous times when I'll step off the line because of the fluidity of my beliefs.  If I painted myself into a corner by thinking my ideologies were religious, I'd feel sinful.  I don't condone theft, but I'll steal from the government if given half a chance, because I can steal from a thief with no remorse.  I don't condone violence, but I'd kill a man if he did something wrong enough in my judgement to allow me to perform the act and get away with it. 

I'm pretty good friends with a Marxist.  I really find marxism a terrible philosophy.  I'll renounce it all day long.  But when that marxist has a nice big bag, I'll be the first one to say "From each according to his ability..."  As a joke, of course, as I go pour myself a big 'ol Scotch from a damn nice assortment of liquor.  And when I come back, the promise of "...To each according to his needs." has been fulfilled.  Twice.  Once in my hand with ice cubes jingling in an amber symphony of artful distillation, and once again on a coffee table awaiting my spark.   And because I have been given that hospitality, if the shoe were on the other foot, I would reciprocate to the best of my ability. 

With that in mind, it would appear I've renounced my own political religion, but have I?   Am I unprincipled?  Am I manipulative?  Maybe I'm capitalizing on their political failings and worshiping at my own altar of coerciveness and greed. 

Or maybe its all one big fucking joke, and I'm just living by my code of right and wrong, and they are too.  There is no sin in living.  Define your own sins, and avoid them.  And should you unwittingly step across the lines of another mans codes, you'll be burned in martyrdom.

AlexLibman

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:06 PM »

IMHO:

Religion is different from mere faith or worship - it does not necessarily imply gods, magic, holy books, priests, rituals, etc.  Religion is a value system shared by a group of people, no matter if they're druids, communists, atheists, committed Emacs users, republicans, democrats, or capitalists.  Though it's a fluid concept and everyone has his own mix of ideological attributes, it is possible to identify a list of common patterns a person belongs to.  In this broader sense, any serious, established social discipline with a common body of knowledge and traditions shared by its adherents may be called a religion.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:46:12 PM »

Religion is a value system shared by a group of people...

Well then, it doesn't apply to me.  I have no idea what other peoples value systems consist of, and I have no desire to find out first hand, unless it's a singular person I will unravel over a period of years. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does this make sense?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 38 queries.