Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does Anime Suck?

Poll

Does Anime Suck?

Yes
- 41 (41.4%)
No
- 20 (20.2%)
Sometimes
- 38 (38.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Anime Suck?  (Read 21833 times)

Timothy

Re: Does Anime Suck?
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

The overwhelming majority of the Japanese animation I've seen was total crap, even the supposedly top-notch stuff, but there have been a handful of exceptions.  Grave of the Fireflies [BT], for example, was a powerful and uncompromising masterpiece!  I highly recommend it to everyone.

I believe that anime was at its highest level of art when it was still relatively unknown. Recently, I've grown tired and frustrated with the oversaturation of anime or anime-esque artstyles in western culture, which has led to my distaste to it as a whole. I still view certain films as Akira from time-to-time, but, until corporations cease flogging the dead horse known as the anime fad* (in my opinion), I'll maintain my current opinion.

*I'm refering to the casual fans who are only followers now due to anime being popular in the mainstream culture. When the fad dies, they'll cease being fans before jumping on another bandwagon of popular culture.

goten1201

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »

The overwhelming majority of the Japanese animation I've seen was total crap, even the supposedly top-notch stuff, but there have been a handful of exceptions.  Grave of the Fireflies [BT], for example, was a powerful and uncompromising masterpiece!  I highly recommend it to everyone.

I believe that anime was at its highest level of art when it was still relatively unknown. Recently, I've grown tired and frustrated with the oversaturation of anime or anime-esque artstyles in western culture, which has led to my distaste to it as a whole. I still view certain films as Akira from time-to-time, but, until corporations cease flogging the dead horse known as the anime fad* (in my opinion), I'll maintain my current opinion.

*I'm refering to the casual fans who are only followers now due to anime being popular in the mainstream culture. When the fad dies, they'll cease being fans before jumping on another bandwagon of popular culture.

its almost exciting sifting through all the crappy anime to find some good ones, its like finding a good book to read by the fire, makes it more worthwhile and enjoyable.

Timothy

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2007, 07:14:09 AM »

its almost exciting sifting through all the crappy anime to find some good ones, its like finding a good book to read by the fire, makes it more worthwhile and enjoyable.

I agree; in a way, it can be rewarding, albeit, time-consuming...

Alex Libman

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2007, 12:29:36 PM »

And that's not just my Eurocentrism talking - there were several other works of anime I sorta liked, like 2/3's of Memorîzu and maybe 1/3'rd of Samurai Champloo.  And I'm a very big fan of some KBS historical dramas.  Another example: I didn't like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but I really liked Jet Li's Hero and Fearless.

I've recently given Anime another look, starting with Hikikomori-themed shows, and Welcome to the N.H.K. totally blew me away!  (Get it here, I'll be seeding.)

Looks like I'll be going through another Nihonophile phase (I still remember most of the kana even!) ...  My FSP-related plans will suffer...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 12:33:02 PM by Alex Libman »

Taors

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »

I have a guilty pleasure. Hayao Miyazaki films.

I've only seen Princess Mononoke but I have Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle downloaded, and will be watching them in the next couple of days. PM is an amazing movie, period. Animated or not.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »

Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies ever.  Princess Mononoke and Castle In The Sky are some of the best animated films ever made.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Caveman

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »

There is a lot of crappy anime but as far as telivision series I find Anime to be much more interesting. I love Cowboy Bebop(hey look at my picture), Outlaw Star, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Escaflowne, all great series. The anime movies though are much more hit or miss, Akira was brilliant and so was Ghost in the Shell, all of the Miyazaki films also great.

Taors

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2007, 01:48:27 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Akira. It's long but good. I should probably download GITS.

Caveman

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2007, 03:21:42 AM »

I need to Download that as well its been years since ive seen it.

goten1201

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2007, 03:34:55 AM »

cowboybebop,  black lagoon,  ranma 1/2,  ghost in the shell, ergo proxy - meh? ,   speed grapher was awesome too.   blood + ,  saw them all b4 cartoon network ever did,  its how i learned to speak japanese. lol.

dmgov

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Umm.. ohh snoochie boochies..
    • View Profile
    • TheSharkTank
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:34 AM »

if anyone thinks anime sucks.

watch ghost stories. hilariously politically incorrect.

oh and my favorite, samurai gun.

also, coyote ragtime is not bad.. also, full metal alchemist is pretty sweet, oh yeah.. ghost in the shell.. I can name a dozen or so great anime series.
"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."
— Hunter S. Thompson

Taors

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Akira. It's long but good. I should probably download GITS.

Akira is just about the only anime I like. The Japs should stick to mangas.

Have you seen PM or Spirited Away?

Taors

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »

Okay, so you admit you're worthless.

Taors

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

We'll see about that.

ladyattis

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »

Some anime is okay, but most anime is boring just like most modern films they lack depth or originality, but once in a while a really good one comes along and no one forgets it. Like Patlabor 1 and 2 were both excellent films that dealt with issues [especially 2] in a way most wouldn't consider. Then there's Wings of Honneamise, which deals with not only space flight, but what it means to be human in such extraordinary situations. And so on. These are the films in anime that no one forgets. Akira, Spirited Away, and etc are noted for great styling, but almost never for any decent story telling or plot, just like their live action counterparts around the world.

-- Brede
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Does Anime Suck?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.