Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Do you listen to FTL / LRN.FM via the Free-to-Air Ku Band Satellite Channel?

Poll

Do you listen to FTL / LRN.FM via the Free-to-Air Ku Band Satellite Channel?

Yes
- 2 (4.2%)
No
- 35 (72.9%)
Huh?  What is Free-to-Air?
- 11 (22.9%)
I use it to feed a radio transmitter.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you listen to FTL / LRN.FM via the Free-to-Air Ku Band Satellite Channel?  (Read 31659 times)

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene

Mark was trying to convince me that I'm wasting my money by putting LRN.FM (and by proxy FTL) up on Free-to-Air Ku-band Satellite.  Details on this technology at http://sat.lrn.fm

Am I?

I say it has potential to deliver audio direct-to-home and to micro radio stations.  The question is, is anyone listening?  We've been on for a year, and I just renewed for another one.  It's not cheap - it's several hundred dollars per month.

Do you listen via our Galaxy 19 channel?  Do you use it to feed a transmitter?  I know at least one micro station does, but I wish I knew of ten.

If you do listen, please don't just choose yes.  Take a moment and explain why you choose to listen on Free-to-Air.

Thanks for your replies!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:56:49 PM by FTL_Ian »
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile

I'm sure some people do, but I don't know anybody with a receiver.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

SeanD

• View Profile

I usually listen via the internet the next day.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

"it's several hundred dollars per month"
Mark is probably right and it's not worth it.

My suggestion would be....
STOP renewing next year.

Spend that several hundred dollars investing in equipment for a year. 

Send that equipment out to people willing to run pirate stations.

Then you will have your 10 stations in 2013.  (assuming the equipment to run a station costs only a few hundred... (which I believe, especially by 2012, that it will)

OORRRRRRRRRR....

Find a way to get advertisers or investors... or whomever, to start buying equipment to plunk down some stations... I'm betting there are people out there that would be willing to run a pirate station, and even learn, but don't think of it as much of a priority because they don't want to drop a few hundred on equipment.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Also - from what I thought... isn't the Free-to-Air stuff MUCH more popular with non English speakers... or rather, people seeking content from other countries... Maybe you could figure out how to get on the free-to-air satellites in OTHER countries that speak English... or DON'T speak English, but where there are still large pockets of English speakers who would tune in... what is the European equivalent of KU-BAND?
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

heheh $300 is like 8500 in rubles.  RT is over here from Russia, maybe you could start a LT (Liberty Today) over in Russia...

heheh I think it's actually only probably equivalent to about 2000-$2500 in purchasing power... hehe but still...

Pasqinell

• View Profile

I listen to the podcasts nearly every day, but I have no idea what you are talking about... so no.

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene

My suggestion would be....
STOP renewing next year.

Spend that several hundred dollars investing in equipment for a year. 

Send that equipment out to people willing to run pirate stations.

Then you will have your 10 stations in 2013.  (assuming the equipment to run a station costs only a few hundred... (which I believe, especially by 2012, that it will)

This is a neat idea, but I wouldn't consider sponsoring any stations I couldn't reach out and touch.  I don't want to turn into a charity for people that aren't dedicated enough to spend a few hundred bucks on their activism/hobby.  Same reason why I'm not buying people bus tickets to NH and putting them up in hotel rooms.  No freeloaders, thanks!
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Then it makes it more obvious. It's time to bail out. Most people aren't interested enough to spend that kind of money on this as a hobby.
If I had the money to invest on a radio thing, I certainly wouldn't go into a KU Band receiver or broadcast equipment... Nope, I'd be investing into broadcasting on the internet.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I think that technology is dying as far as most people are concerned.  Why would one really want to spend that kind of money to set up a radio station that reaches 10's of people, when they could use the same money to set up one that reaches the world?

I guess the difference of opinion is that you see it more as you providing the equipment to run a pirate radio station to a "free loader"

Whereas I see it more as someone willing to put their ass on on the line to run an affiliate station for LRN.FM AKA YOU - which makes them anything but a freeloader.

That said... you have no way of testing the dedication of anyone who would be willing to do so for it's genuineness of commitment, so... Yeah... I agree with Mark, it's probably a waste of time to do the whole KU Band thing.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile

I'd say ditch it and put it to whatever could use the money most.  Whether that be helping get LRN to more ears or whatever.  KU band doesn't seem all that popular in America because most anyone who has a dish, they have tv or internet with it.  It's just the way media tech is marketed here.  Everything is a subsidy.  It might be more popular if that wasn't the case, so at the current time I'd say it's a waste of time and money if you're not seeing appropriate incoming results vs expenditures.

blackie

I'm not sure the BBS is the right place to ask this question. You should ask on air, and tell people if they don't respond, it will be going away.

I thought it was more of a marketing thing...just so you can say you are doing it. I'd have to go with Mark on this one. If it doesn't help Mark sell advertising, it's not worth it.

Do you have the number of potential listeners in sat. footprint with a Ku setup?

feedmeliberty

• View Profile

Does the Satellite Channel work internationally? Might be good in areas internationally without internet connection, but then again is that really a demographic?

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Doesn't this have value for potential radio affiliates as a cheap satellite link?

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

I listen on XM.

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene

Do you have the number of potential listeners in sat. footprint with a Ku setup?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Do you listen to FTL / LRN.FM via the Free-to-Air Ku Band Satellite Channel?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.