Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Do you find over-quoting annoying?

Poll

Do you find over-quoting annoying?

It's a major problem on this forum!!!
- 13 (26.5%)
Somewhat rude.
- 4 (8.2%)
Sometimes annoying.
- 14 (28.6%)
Rarely annoying.
- 1 (2%)
Never bothered me before, but people should avoid it.
- 5 (10.2%)
Never bothered me before, and who cares?
- 7 (14.3%)
I love it when people over-quote!
- 1 (2%)
I love it, and people should do it more!
- 4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you find over-quoting annoying?  (Read 9771 times)

AlexLibman

Do you find over-quoting annoying?
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »

Do you ever find it rude or annoying when people quote a large message that's just above -- sub-quotes, images, and all -- only to add a couple lines of their own?

(Random example.)

Quoting was intended to make sure the context of your reply is known, not to take up as much space and bandwidth as you possibly can!  It is generally recommended that people should edit out of the quote tags everything that isn't essential.  Over-quoting waters down the conversation, and unnecessary prevents people from correcting what they wrote before, archiving their typos for posterity.

No. I'm the self-nominated forum etiquette gestapo man, just wanted to make a pet peeve of mine known, and see if anyone agrees.

Have a nice day!   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:03:38 AM by AlexLibman »

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
Re: Do you find over-quoting annoying?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »

I'd half expected to see a Ben Tucker cut-n-paste there  :?
I agree, especially if the quotes are cherry-picked in order to bastardize the spirit of the
original statement.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Johnny_

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »

Do you ever find it rude or annoying when people quote a large message that's just above -- sub-quotes, images, and all -- only to add a couple lines of their own?

(Random example.)

Quoting was intended to make sure the context of your reply is known, not to take up as much space and bandwidth as you possibly can!  It is generally recommended that people should edit out of the quote tags everything that isn't essential.  Over-quoting waters down the conversation, and unnecessary prevents people from correcting what they wrote before, archiving their typos for posterity.

No. I'm the self-nominated forum etiquette gestapo man, just wanted to make a pet peeve of mine known, and see if anyone agrees.

No.

But in all seriousness, it's a flaw with the forum software more than it is the users.  In some BBS systems, when you click "Quote" it only quotes what that user said, and not what that user quoted, and then that user quoted, and then that user quoted, etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:04:04 PM by Johnny_ »

mike the godless heathen

• your friendly neighborhood atheist
  • life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »

i think it really depends on the nature of the thread.  if it is actually a serious topic then yes it is highly annoying.  if it is a silly thread where bbs users are posting crazily about innane bullshit then who really cares?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:48:40 PM by handyshizzle »
Snake Plissken: Got a smoke?
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Snake Plissken: Land of the free.
Facebook
Twitter

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »

(Random example.)

Yeah that's annoying.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »

I am a culprit in this annoying practice. Sorry. I'll honestly try and *snip* the quotee's post from now on. I didn't know it was bothering people.  8)

Taors

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:52:04 PM »

(Random example.)

Yeah that's annoying.

I love it.

cerpntaxt

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »

(Random example.)

Yeah that's annoying.

I love it.

Huh?

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:55:31 PM »

If I'm having a discussion with someone, the only reason I will quote him or her quoting me is because some people like to mischaracterize what I type when they're replying to me, and I typically need to clarify. Especially if they can't refute something so they try to hijack my side of the argument as their own and then try to steer me into opposition.  This also happens with the aforementioned cherry picking.

This is why an unmoderated forum like this is not very good for honest debate.
$signature not defined.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 08:03:05 PM »

If I'm having a discussion with someone, the only reason I will quote him or her quoting me is because some people like to mischaracterize what I type when they're replying to me, and I typically need to clarify. Especially if they can't refute something so they try to hijack my side of the argument as their own and then try to steer me into opposition.  This also happens with the aforementioned cherry picking.

much like the:

yes!
no!
yes!
no!
yes!
no!
no!
yes!
no!
dammit, i said yes and i mean yes!

debate in cartoons
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Facebook
Twitter

Johnny_

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »

If I'm having a discussion with someone, the part that really sucks is when people change the text in the quote and people like to mischaracterize what I type when they're replying to me, and I typically need to clarify. Especially if they can't refute something so they try to hijack my side of the argument as their own and then try to steer me into opposition.  This also happens with the aforementioned cherry picking.

I agree.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »

Do you ever find it rude or annoying when people quote a large message that's just above
How dare you suggest such a thing :x
-- sub-quotes, images, and all -- only to add a couple lines of their own?
Are you kidding how else can I be more annoying.  I know I can by dissecting every line with my added comment vs just replying in general.
Quoting was intended to make sure the context of your reply is known, not to take up as much space and bandwidth as you possibly can!
Bandwidth who cares it isn't my bandwidth.  Oh boo hooooo (I mean I am starting to annoy myself with this mimic.)
It is generally recommended that people should edit out of the quote tags everything that isn't essential.  Over-quoting waters down the conversation, and unnecessary prevents people from correcting what they wrote before, archiving their typos for posterity.
What people don't love to re-read my typos?  How else can I make the spelling nazis feel like they are superior?  Yes lets not discuss content btw did you notice that mispelling that alone should prove the person doesn't know what they are talking about.
Well I'll nominate you for the forum etiquette gestapo, it is an unpaid powerless position, so knock yourself out.  But don't quote me on it.
I will not have a nice day, how dare you suggest that you could offer me a nice day you don't know me you pretentious terd. :P  (Note* this was example of the type of quoting I find most annoying. It could have been worse I could have dissected it down word by word but I would have pissed myself off.)

------------I also find blank space at the end of a message annoying----------  It messes with my quoting when I do quote -------

And yes I am well aware I have done this is the past myself but very rarely.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:31:31 PM by handyshizzle »
Facebook
Twitter

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »

Brent you rock :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Do you find over-quoting annoying?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.