Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  do you endorse freedom of speech on the bbs?

Poll

free speech?

yes
- 24 (53.3%)
no
- 21 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: do you endorse freedom of speech on the bbs?  (Read 12874 times)

honeybee

Re: do you endorse freedom of speech on the bbs?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »

No.

Even in the US, with our so-called "free speech," I'm not really free to say whatever I want. In my own home, yes (for now). Technically, I guess I really can say whatever I want, when and where I want, but there would be consequences - some legal, some social. Even if that freedom was absolute, it doesn't transfer to other venues. The Tos that I agreed to is pretty clear that there are a couple of things that will get people booted. I clicked "agree," so they apply. I didn't have to -- I was as free as any other person to close the browser and forget about joining.

I'm a long-time lurker, recent member, but I've never seen a BBS with such a low rate of moderation as I have on FTL. Some of the exchanges may not be to my taste, but I appreciate the freedom that I do see here. If a conversation is a little rough for my delicate sensibilites, I don't have to join in, or even read it. If someone is a complete asshole, I can put him on ignore. As a member of the community, I've agreed to a certain level of behavior. If I decide that I can't honor that agreement, then I can go away, or break the agreement and reap the consequences.

eeyore1

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 03:24:11 AM »

easy yes i endorse free speech and on the bbs unlike the real world i have the option of closing my ears to people i dont want to hear

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »

bump
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  do you endorse freedom of speech on the bbs?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 38 queries.