Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?

Poll

Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?

Yes, I thought it was bad.
No, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either.
No. I liked it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?  (Read 10617 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:49:02 PM »

Very simple. How did you feel about the Interview FTL did with Dr. Gene Ray?
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »

Very simple. How did you feel about the Interview FTL did with Dr. Gene Ray?

Loved it and wish they would have him on again. But they'll never be able to pull off that joke where they treated him like they believed every word that he said, again sadly. I can't believe folk thought they were serious. So Johnson, when are you going to get back on the show? I enjoyed your insane input.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:44:07 PM »

what about wiley brooks ????
http://breatharian.com/   :lol: :lol:
i've only eaten 1/4lb.ers from mc Ds since
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:49:43 PM by mrapplecastle »

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:47:07 PM »

I'll get to that show... I may poll about a couple of 'classic moment' shows...
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »

I enjoyed the show, but felt a bit guilty about laughing at someone who is so obviously suffering from a mental illness.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »

The guest was whack and it's not fitting to have some nut as an FTL guest. Alex Jones would make an interesting guest, especially on a Saturday night show.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »

Very simple
... yet you still manged to cock it up by asking a negative question instead of phrasing it simply as "did you like the show?"  :roll:

Trademark

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 04:41:18 PM »

Very simple
... yet you still manged to cock it up by asking a negative question instead of phrasing it simply as "did you like the show?"  :roll:

He has a point there.  8)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »

The guest was whack and it's not fitting to have some nut as an FTL guest. Alex Jones would make an interesting guest, especially on a Saturday night show.

So a nut as a guest on FTL is only fitting if it's a nut you agree with?

I thought the Gene Ray interview was fun. The tapdancing by the hosts to keep things moving like a regular old interview made for as many chuckles as the time cube answers.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »

negative questions make better polls because they force the person answering the question to really consider how they want to answer. It creates more honest results.

I'm trying to figure some things out about the show... Ian and I debate about stuff sort of like this all the time.. and I want to at least try and find out if either one of us has false pretenses about what makes for good radio, and what makes for bad radio, as far as Free Talk Live is concerned.

Thus far, the results are panning out to be far more ambiguous that I would have guessed... meaning there is either no real cohesion as to what you fuckers like about Free Talk Live  :D or that I simply don't know how to ask the right questions...

also.. on the "cocking it up" thing... I was the first vote that said "no, I liked it" becuase I loved the Gene Ray show... I also liked Wiley Brooks, and Landmark... and I like most of the FTL experimental shows... I'm not arrogant enough to think though that just becuase *I* liked it, means that it makes for good radio... hence the polling.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:02:33 PM by Johnson »

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 06:15:04 PM »

negative questions make better polls because they force the person answering the question to really consider how they want to answer. It creates more honest results.
Holy shit... you are saying, "it's better to make the question more confusing and less straightforward because it forces you to think"
Are you a politician, or do you sell used cars?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »

Read a few articles on how to conduct polls and get back to me when you've got a handle on your attitude problem.

Ian and I are both aware of how negative and positive wording can skew a poll. *golf clap* good for you for being aware of it as well.
Yes, wording is important. Yes, this poll was skewed to make people MORE inclined to vote either of the YES answers.

This poll is worded to make it clear that if someone votes "No, I liked it" that they REALLY mean it, becuase they poll is worded against them choosing that option.

If I can be accused of being a "cock" on anything... It's that I want to show Ian how very clear it is to a lot of listeners what a GOOD Free Talk Live episode is, and what a bad one is. 

The discussion he and I are having, is this... I expressed that although *I* liked the Landmark show... I could see how people wouldn't like it... and I could also see how a different approach would needed to be taken to make that into really "good" radio for a broader audience of listeners.

This is part of my longer running and broader campaign to prove to Ian without a doubt the importance of including more content that comes in the form of storytelling (personal or otherwise) and the inclusion of a larger amount of MOOD control of the show (balancing the serious topics with some lightheartedness within each and every hour of the show to prevent the buildup of a gloomy mood)

This poll had me worried at first... but it is very quickly panning out to show me I was quite correct.
When an esidode of Free Talk Live is GOOD... it's pretty easy to tell, and there is MUCH less division amonst listeners as to when it is good...

Ian liked to think people always complain and praise and there is no way to tell what's good, and it's all just a crapshoot, and to just keep doing whatever.

I'm a little more certain that Free Talk Live tends to be much better radio and more widely liked (as well as exeriencing increased growth rates) during times when the show approaches serious issues in a positive and lighthearted way that isn't too clownish, but still more comical and entertaining than simply serious and informative.

In the long run, I'm gunning to prove that a better balance between lightheartedness and seriousness needs to be struck in order to appeal to the widest audience in a manner that will insure the fastest growth rate. I don't believe this requires any changes in the subject matter that Free Talk Live covers, I believe that it's simply a matter of a few subtle changes with regards to approach about certain subjects.

I also don't make any claim to boasting that I have never fallen into the negative pattern of making the show to slow or serious... (I've certainly contributed my share) I'm just campaigning to make Ian - as the director of the show, more aware of how mood can affect the quality of the program.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:47:25 PM by Johnson »

OUND

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

what about wiley brooks ????
http://breatharian.com/   :lol: :lol:
i've only eaten 1/4lb.ers from mc Ds since
QUARTER pounders? You might as well be a breatharian with those tiny things..

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »

your attitude problem.
Dude... have you heard yourself on the air?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »

Ok, so you don't want to talk about the polls. Thank you for so quickly abandoning the concept of defending your initial argument and turning to ad hominems in a display that clearly illustrates your lack of any agenda other than attacking me.

Have fun with that conversation... I'm sure there is a nice solid wall somewhere over there that you can talk to.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:04:15 PM by Johnson »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Did you DISlike the Gene Ray Show?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.