Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Smoking?

Poll

Do you smoke cigarettes / cigars ?

Yes.
- 92 (25.5%)
No.
- 201 (55.7%)
Rarely.
- 68 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Smoking?  (Read 54126 times)

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: Demographics - Smoking?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »

I have at least one asthmatic friend who claims that when he smokes IN MODERATION, he needs his inhaler significantly less than when he doesn't smoke at all.  And he's done both for extended periods...

Thats bizarre.

bonerjoe

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 09:06:28 PM »

Why is there no "cocks" option?

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 10:23:50 PM »

No tobacco for me.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 12:55:55 AM »

Never started, watched too many friends smoke their money away.

Best Anti-Smoking ad evar = http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2619843252444704878
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »

Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org

username

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »

I smoke a pipe... tobacco pipe, if clarification was needed

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:33 AM »

I have at least one asthmatic friend who claims that when he smokes IN MODERATION, he needs his inhaler significantly less than when he doesn't smoke at all.  And he's done both for extended periods...

Thats bizarre.

It's probably because when he stops smoking his lungs start to clear out, bringing up all of the gunk that's accumulated inside of them. Either that or, more probably, he's in denial. "I have to smoke. It actually helps my condition." You know--they same way every smoker can cite at least one relative who lived to be ninety, despite smoking two packs a day?
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

X

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »

not cigarettes..... 8)

trollfreezone

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 10:21:33 AM »

Hey...I'm curious...any of you nicotine addicts try vaporizing?  Anything to tell the class?

As for me, I don't do nicotine, as I'm not interested in being addicted, and I don't inhale burned stuff.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 10:44:24 AM »

Vaporizers can't be used with tobacco. hehehe

It's really funny to me that people think that vaporizing somehow prevents cancer... Cancer is generally caused by particulates entering the lungs. The fact that the chemicals are carcinogenic speeds up the process, but even wood smoke causes cancer. Radon gas causes cancer...  Non-Burned wood DUST causes cancer... Asbestos DUST causes cancer... Leather dust causes cancer...

If you think you are safe while breathing any sort of particulate matter into your lungs, you are deluding yourself. THC vapors are, I'm sure, quite harmful. Maybe not AS harmful as smoke, but in the long run, cancer is cancer. Also, most vaporizers achieve a RATIO of say... 80% THC and 20% Tar... It's simply better than an unfiltered joint... but not 100% tar free.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:46:34 AM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 10:55:45 AM »

Here's some supporting info

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/smokestudy.html
http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/mj-health-mythology.html

Essentially... The best you can hope for while breathing in pot, is to slow your onset of lung cancer.

All that said... Nobody lives forever ... Just don't delude yourself.

trollfreezone

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »

Surprisingly, the unfiltered joint outperformed all devices except the vaporizers, with a ratio of about 1 part cannabinoids to 13 parts tar. This disturbingly poor ratio may be explained by the low potency of the NIDA-supplied marijuana used in the study, which was around 2.3%.

Furthermore, many people vaporize at such a high temperature that they cause combustion, which is where most of the carcinogens are.  Dial it down, and you'll do yourself a favor.

Oh...and there's this newer report from Cal NORML/MAPS...

Harmful toxins in marijuana smoke can be effectively avoided by a vaporization device, according to a new study by California NORML and MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) with support from a grant from the MPP (Marijuana Policy Project).

...actually, that's not the only study that disagrees with that old marginal study...take your pick:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=vaporizer+study&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Here's the most recent study I found:

Marijuana Vaporizer Provides Same Level Of THC, Fewer Toxins, Study Shows

Quote from: ScienceDaily (May 16, 2007)
A smokeless cannabis-vaporizing device delivers the same level of active therapeutic chemical and produces the same biological effect as smoking cannabis, but without the harmful toxins, according to University of California San Francisco researchers.

I guess I'm just naive. ;-)

BTW, about the first crack, WRT vaporizing tobacco, I'm guessing you're just as wrong, but it's not something I've verified.  I do know that there are vaporizers with instructions for using them with tobacco.  The one I vividly recall suggests slicing a cigarette into small cylinders and putting them in the vaporization chamber.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:58:40 AM by trollfreezone »

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »

Nicotine doesn't vaporize before the temperature at which tobacco burns. I don't know how a marijuana vaporizer would do anything to tobacco, and you didn't address anything I said about putting PARTICULATES into your lungs.

I specifically pointed out (as you repeated in your post) that vaporizers did a better job then unfiltered joints of minimizing the amount of toxins taken into the system. It's not just toxins that cause cancer.

*shrug*

Some people go their entire lives without ever getting lung cancer.
We may be able to cure lung cancer within the next 10 to 20 years...

You can call me wrong all you want if you feel it makes you more comfortable.

trollfreezone

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »

Nicotine doesn't vaporize before the temperature at which tobacco burns. I don't know how a marijuana vaporizer would do anything to tobacco, and you didn't address anything I said about putting PARTICULATES into your lungs.

As I said, I didn't know, but your citation of an outdated study on the health of vaporizing did not give me confidence.

I specifically pointed out (as you repeated in your post) that vaporizers did a better job then unfiltered joints of minimizing the amount of toxins taken into the system. It's not just toxins that cause cancer.

Apparently you didn't read the references on the newer studies--the carcinogens are virtually eliminated.  I'm sure one would have to operate the equipment properly.

*shrug*

Some people go their entire lives without ever getting lung cancer.
We may be able to cure lung cancer within the next 10 to 20 years...

You can call me wrong all you want if you feel it makes you more comfortable.

Everything Gives You Cancer

Taors

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »

Looking at the stars will give you cancer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Smoking?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 51 queries.