Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Reading Material?

Poll

What do you read most often? (Pick all that apply)

Adult Magazines
- 22 (1.4%)
Sports Magazines
- 16 (1%)
Entertainment Magazines
- 25 (1.6%)
Electronics Magazines
- 88 (5.7%)
Hobby / Crafts Magazines
- 27 (1.8%)
Home / Garden Magazines
- 25 (1.6%)
Outdoor  / Guns / Hunting / Fishing Magazines
- 41 (2.7%)
Fitness / Exercise / Health Magazines
- 30 (2%)
Music / Scene Magazines
- 27 (1.8%)
Technical  / Trade Magazines
- 64 (4.2%)
Newspaper / News Magazines
- 107 (7%)
Religious Books / Magazines
- 32 (2.1%)
Sci-Fi / Fantasy Books
- 148 (9.7%)
Nonfiction History Books
- 115 (7.5%)
Technical / How To Manuals
- 91 (5.9%)
Romance Novels
- 1 (0.1%)
Mystery / Thriller Books
- 43 (2.8%)
Other Fiction Books
- 112 (7.3%)
Other Nonfiction Books
- 125 (8.2%)
Political / Philosophical Issues Magazines
- 140 (9.1%)
Car / Auto / Mechanics Magazines
- 28 (1.8%)
Science Magazines
- 78 (5.1%)
Fashion Magazines
- 7 (0.5%)
Art / History / Culture Magazines
- 29 (1.9%)
"Classics" Books
- 60 (3.9%)
Self (Help, Health, Motivation) Books
- 26 (1.7%)
Business / Finance / Investing Books
- 26 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Reading Material?  (Read 47907 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Demographics - Reading Material?
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

No not at all, I realize that those kinds of bookstores cater to both the SF and Fantasy crowds together, can you take a joke?  :lol:

"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2008, 09:14:33 PM »

Can you tell a funny joke?

Maybe I didn't get your joke because I have no idea who that author is. Instead of seeing a joke, I only interpreted pointless complaining.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »

Awww so sad.  Perhaps the sarcasm could have been more obvious.  Sorry  :(
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

jimmed

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

Johnson is wayyyy to serious about everything.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »

Maybe... but I'm also probably finding it hard to laugh right now, because my mother is still in surgery after 9 hours of having her tits cut off, and I'm supposed to be studying for an exam tomorrow... but I really really can't fucking think math right now... at all.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

jimmed

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »

Oh.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »

Maybe... but I'm also probably finding it hard to laugh right now, because my mother is still in surgery after 9 hours of having her tits cut off, and I'm supposed to be studying for an exam tomorrow... but I really really can't fucking think math right now... at all.
Good luck on your exam, and if it helps, my father survived cancer as did one of my best friends mothers (she had breast cancer).  I understand how you feel in your circumstance. 

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2008, 06:51:32 AM »

I wouldn't expect it to be an option since I am probably the only one on the board that would pick it, but 90% of what I read is Torah (thats the Bible to the rest of y'all).

The remaining 10% is philosophy, and literature.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Taors

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »

I wouldn't expect it to be an option since I am probably the only one on the board that would pick it, but 90% of what I read is Torah (thats the Bible to the rest of y'all).

Wait, are you here to take Joelberg's place? Because we already have our token Jew. You sound a lot more interesting than Joelberg though...maybe we can have you two fight to the death (hand-to-hand Jew combat)?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

Wait, are you here to take Joelberg's place? Because we already have our token Jew. You sound a lot more interesting than Joelberg though...maybe we can have you two fight to the death (hand-to-hand Jew combat)?
No no, he's not taking my place, no-one ever will.  But he is pretty philosophical and more religious than me.

Tolstoys Fourth

Re: Demographics - Reading Material
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2008, 04:18:47 AM »

If you pick one of the "other" categories... Please consider suggesting a category, and I will consider adding it.

Your answers are editable, so if I add a suitable option you will be free change your answers to reflect that option.

Also, if you feel like sharing your favorite magazines, publications or book publishers...... Go for it.

I picked Other Nonfiction to account for "Academic" books.  While there are books about history stuff (I also picked Art/History/Culture), a lot can tend to be too plebe-pleasing to really get anywhere in the field I want to jump into someday, which I consider to be a slight different than some of the stuff I read. 

DontTreadOnMike

• View Profile
    • DontTreadOnMike Blog
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »

Conan.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Reading Material?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.