Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Reading Material?

Poll

What do you read most often? (Pick all that apply)

Adult Magazines
- 22 (1.4%)
Sports Magazines
- 16 (1%)
Entertainment Magazines
- 25 (1.6%)
Electronics Magazines
- 88 (5.7%)
Hobby / Crafts Magazines
- 27 (1.8%)
Home / Garden Magazines
- 25 (1.6%)
Outdoor  / Guns / Hunting / Fishing Magazines
- 41 (2.7%)
Fitness / Exercise / Health Magazines
- 30 (2%)
Music / Scene Magazines
- 27 (1.8%)
Technical  / Trade Magazines
- 64 (4.2%)
Newspaper / News Magazines
- 107 (7%)
Religious Books / Magazines
- 32 (2.1%)
Sci-Fi / Fantasy Books
- 148 (9.7%)
Nonfiction History Books
- 115 (7.5%)
Technical / How To Manuals
- 91 (5.9%)
Romance Novels
- 1 (0.1%)
Mystery / Thriller Books
- 43 (2.8%)
Other Fiction Books
- 112 (7.3%)
Other Nonfiction Books
- 125 (8.2%)
Political / Philosophical Issues Magazines
- 140 (9.1%)
Car / Auto / Mechanics Magazines
- 28 (1.8%)
Science Magazines
- 78 (5.1%)
Fashion Magazines
- 7 (0.5%)
Art / History / Culture Magazines
- 29 (1.9%)
"Classics" Books
- 60 (3.9%)
Self (Help, Health, Motivation) Books
- 26 (1.7%)
Business / Finance / Investing Books
- 26 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Reading Material?  (Read 47913 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Demographics - Reading Material?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 02:12:14 PM »

That is hobbies / crafts, unless it's something like... say digital photography...

Then you might consider it a Technical  / Trade Mag.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Taors

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

Why does Johnson get to decide what's what?

TYRANNY OF THE POLLS. THE VIOLENCE INHERENT WITHIN THE SYSTEM!

Gordee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 04:25:40 PM »

That is hobbies / crafts

What if I want to read about the Fine Art in paintings or Art of Architecture but creating such art aren't my hobbies?
They don't fall into "crafts" category either.

Evenstar

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »

Where would Self Help books go?  I'd think that'd be a rather popular category.  And I guess biographies are under general non-fiction, though they'd usually be set apart.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 12:33:10 AM »

I may do a separate poll someday about more specific books, but for now, I'm really just searching for stuff that is more marketable. It would be best to file that vote under health magazines, or under other nonfiction books.

If we attract advertisers from a bigger market than just self help books, maybe we'll get a little more specific.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »

What if I LOVE Science Fiction but LOATHE Fantasy?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Evenstar

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 04:33:10 PM »

The line between them is often rather blurred... I can absolutely see why they're grouped together.  I guess the real question is, if this were advertised on FTL, would you be an appropriate target audience.  So, if there were an ad that was directed to BOTH Sci-Fi and Fantasy readers, would it be more enticing or more of a turn-off.  Vote accordingly.

My two cents.  :)

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »

What about literature?  And Men's Entertainment/Fashion magazines?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »

Literature is not a category...

Entertainment Mags, and Fashion mags are both already options...

The goal is not superspecifics... For example, I will not be adding "Pet Magazines" for those that read Cat Fancy...
Somewhat general is the point... I'm only looking for things that DON'T clearly fit into an existing category...

Considering Fashion and Entertainment are both there... That is not a new category...

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »

Literature is not a category...

I don't see how you (or a person interested in your statistics for the sake of better marketing) can lump in classic and contemporary literature together with the heaps of relative trash via the "Other fiction," but that's your call.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »

I guess I just feel "The Grapes of Wrath" and "The Great Gatsby" are just books... just like any other book. I don't feel the fact that you read books that make you feel intellectually superior simply because they are old and some government high school teachers said that you need to read them somehow lends extra validity to them, or means that somehow there is a special marketing niche there. If "Moby Dick", "Tom Sawyer", or "As I lay Dying" are really so special... I think you are really sort of just being silly.

Besides, I think there are better names for categories of books than simply "Literature". Maybe if a few of those were tossed out I might consider it...

Until then... I will consider the fact that "The Library of America" was relatively uncooperative in coming up with a good deal for us to resell some books... So the Literature crowd can go screw...  :D

Taors

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 02:17:17 AM »

Johnson, you should really add a Literature section.

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 03:00:05 AM »

I guess I just feel "The Grapes of Wrath" and "The Great Gatsby" are just books... just like any other book. I don't feel the fact that you read books that make you feel intellectually superior simply because they are old and some government high school teachers said that you need to read them somehow lends extra validity to them, or means that somehow there is a special marketing niche there. If "Moby Dick", "Tom Sawyer", or "As I lay Dying" are really so special... I think you are really sort of just being silly.

Besides, I think there are better names for categories of books than simply "Literature". Maybe if a few of those were tossed out I might consider it...

Until then... I will consider the fact that "The Library of America" was relatively uncooperative in coming up with a good deal for us to resell some books... So the Literature crowd can go screw...  :D

Literature is different by virtue of the nature and depth of its subject matter.  You can't recognize the difference between Steinbeck, Milton, Waugh, and the modern-day ego-authors who get published because they can turn a quick phrase and the (government-protected) top publishing houses realize they can turn an even quicker profit?  Friend, I think you're the one being silly.

But since we're talking demographics: the evolution of literature includes a wide range of materials from ancient to contemporary, and further particularization is unnecessary - the "literature crowd", as you (derisively? arrogantly?) put it, will classify themselves accordingly.  I just thought it would be worth something to FTL's advertisers to know that FTL listeners read to a higher standard: I read my Wired magazine cover-to-cover (literally) because the advertising doesn't assume I'm stupid and even (!) makes me laugh.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »

I know for a fact that there are more categories than just literature, and have already added categories that show that our listeners read to a higher level and standard than most....

If there were a couple of different categories for literature that were a bit more specific, I might add something.

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 03:34:22 PM »

I know for a fact that there are more categories than just literature, and have already added categories that show that our listeners read to a higher level and standard than most....

If there were a couple of different categories for literature that were a bit more specific, I might add something.

All of the categories listed for books:

Sci-Fi / Fantasy Books     
Nonfiction History Books    
Technical / How To Manuals    
Romance Novels    
Mystery / Drama Books    
Other Fiction Books    
Other Nonfiction Books

connote different kinds of books than that connoted by including categories for, say, "Literature" and "General Fiction."  I read ancient, medieval and classical romances - I do not read what is connoted by the category "Romance Novel."  I read literature that is dramatic and mysterious - but I didn't choose "Mystery / Drama Books", because that connotes Tom-Clancy-type books that I do not read. 

I know I'm not the only one, here, who reads literature; I've met literateurs with the freedom mindset.  How can you be so crass?  What is it, a knee-jerk reaction against what you derisively called the "literature crowd"?  I've met the stereotype you must be speaking of in real life, and it's their type of thinking - not the subject matter they've chosen to concern themselves with - that sets them apart. 

Anyway, it's your poll and you know what its aims are and what the requirements of its design should best be.  Carry on as you will - I think I've said my piece well enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Reading Material?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.