Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Employment Status?

Poll

What is your Employment Status?

Full-Time Employee
- 105 (52.8%)
Part-Time Employee
- 28 (14.1%)
Self Employed
- 39 (19.6%)
Currently Unemployed
- 17 (8.5%)
Family Caretaker
- 5 (2.5%)
Retired
- 5 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Employment Status?  (Read 22413 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Demographics - Employment Status?
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »

collecting demographics
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Demographics - Employment Status?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

No "retired?"

Two weeks ago, I would have said retired. Now, I have to say full-time employed. Just couldn't resist the bucks. However, I may soon wise up. It's sure nice not having to get up in the morning!
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »

Two weeks ago, I would have said retired.
You, sir, should move to NH and run for State Rep

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »

Two weeks ago, I would have said retired.
You, sir, should move to NH and run for State Rep

Not a job I'd want--not because it doesn't pay (which it does not), but because I'd hate it, and wouldn't be much good at it.

But, I'd love to move to NH. And, may.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:35:51 PM »

No student either?  I'm employed part time, but I consider myself first a student.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 01:51:29 AM »

Student is not an employment status, it's a job... it's listed under occupations in that poll... If you make money part-time that is how you are employed.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:21:53 AM »

I'm a student and I also work Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Cornell University Soil and Water Lab.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:07:19 PM »

I'm a full time welfare recipient.  Where is that option?  Haha!  J/k.  I'm part a part time worker, and a part time student.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »

self employed.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 12:59:22 AM »

Employed, for two more days. Then, I'm done. Just too much trouble and too much risk.

tanstaafl1981

• Prepare to Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »

that's it?  no more boiler?  after reading your blog, I'm interested in what the final straw was.
Hoje acordei sem lembrar, se vivi ou se sonhei

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 08:58:27 PM »

that's it?  no more boiler?  after reading your blog, I'm interested in what the final straw was.

Cumulative effects. For one thing, there's the safety issue. To clean the firebox, it's necessary to open it up and practically stick your head into a 1200 F. furnace. So long as the draft remains negative, everything is okay. But, if it should go positive, then you're cooked. If the power should go out, you're done. The crappy draft controller bounces all over the place, and could die at any time. Also, there is no steam or gas backup feedwater pump, and so if the power goes out you can't get water into the boiler--even though the fire doesn't die for twenty minutes or so. They've lost water in the steam drum several times in the last month, and there is know way of knowing if the tubes were exposed or not. God knows how many times in the past this has happened, or what condition the tubes are in.

Then, there is the equipment issue. The electronic control system is old and failing, and replacement parts are no longer made. Some of the multi-level controllers no longer toggle between functions. The skin of the furnace leaks like a sieve, so that there is dust everywhere all the time. And, there is no real back-up boiler. If the unit goes down when it's freezing outside, the entire place will freeze up before the crappy little fire tube in the next building can be put together and brought up to pressure. By that time, it'll be too late.

I don't care for the 50-minute commute, which will only get worse as winter comes on. I can hardly keep my eyes open on the freeway while driving home.

But, the last straw was that I was told there would be a mechanic on duty most nights to help out if something goes wrong. Now, I find out that the guy is being transferred to day shift, and will only work mids during my days off. When I took this job, I was lead to believe I was to be the midnight shift operator. After being hired, I found out I was the only operator, and that on the other shifts a mechanic would look in on the boiler "from time to time." They just shoved all the actual work onto midnight shift, so that the operator is just running all the time.

Hey, I'm retired! I just don't need the hassle, especially at the fairly low wages they are paying (around $18/hr). I really don't need the money, and value my time more than that.

timmysoboy

• Word
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:18:32 PM »

Part time employment under my pappy, although I may start looking for another job, due to not enough hours.

Travis

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 12:47:02 AM »

I fit 3 of these. How do I vote 3 times?

Part Time - Self Employed - Family Caretaker

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »

I put family caretaker in for unemployed spouses whose PRIMARY role is to take care of the family in lieu of a job. I felt this clarification is better for stay at home moms and dads than simply calling them unemployed. Ugh, and before anyone bitches at me for the use of the word spouses, interject the word "life-partners" or "mates" there and see if that works for ya...

Its very difficult to predict how people will choose to interpret your wording when creating a general purpose poll...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Employment Status?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 38 queries.