Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Education Level?

Poll

What level of Education have you completed?

Have not Graduated Highschool
- 4 (2.3%)
Highschool or GED
- 17 (9.8%)
Attended College but have not Graduated
- 57 (32.8%)
2 Year College Degree
- 18 (10.3%)
4 Year College Degree
- 45 (25.9%)
Masters Degree
- 10 (5.7%)
Doctoral Degree
- 6 (3.4%)
Other Professional Degree (MD, LLB, ETC)
- 2 (1.1%)
Multiple Technical Certification(s) w/o HighSchool Diploma or GED
- 1 (0.6%)
Multiple Technical Certifications w/o College Degee
- 6 (3.4%)
Multiple Technical Certification(s) & 2yr Degree
- 0 (0%)
Multiple Technical Certification(s) & 4yr Degree
- 4 (2.3%)
Multple Degrees (In Different Fields of Study)
- 4 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Education Level?  (Read 26936 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Demographics - Education Level?
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »

Collecting Demographic Info
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Taors

Re: Demographics - Education Level?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »

If I got a GED, that means I never graduated high school. However, I can't choose both options.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »

umm.... That's because that option supercedes the other one... For example, if you look carefully, it doesn't say highschool AND GED but instead it says highschool OR GED.

A big reason why the ged is sometimes called the general equivalency diploma, is becuase those taking it, must score higher than 40 percent of currently graduating highschool seniors.

Therefore, it should be fairly logical to assume, since the GED is equivalent to graduating highschool, that if you have one - the "didn't graduate highschool" option is not for you, no matter how much of a badge of honor it may be.

(also, logic dictates the GED option is more specific, not all dropouts have geds, but all GED holders never finished highschool. )
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:42:18 PM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Taors

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:58:24 PM »

Okay. I'm sensing a little unwarranted hostility in your post. You should chill out and host some FTL.

KDus

• Democracy=fraud
  • Money
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 06:50:42 PM »

I went to one day of college. It was obvious that it would be detrimental if not only a waste of time. I got most of my money back the next day. Now my business card says Engineer.
Liberate America!

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

It feels like there should be a differentiation between "Attended college but did not graduate" and another option which is  "AttendING college but have not graduated". 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:02:10 PM »

No personal hostility...

Just being firm...
Maybe I'm wrong in feeling this way... but I don't really think that needed to be explained. So, I felt like I was having to explain the obvious... and in doing so, I was probably coming off as aggressive, because of the REASON I felt I was having to actually make an explanation of something that I was pretty sure you already understood... So it was a sort of firmness in relation to saying... "No, I know you want to say you didn't graduate highschool as a badge of honor, but if you have your GED, that's basically the same as graduating, so you don't count as a non-graduate, so... Come on... it should be pretty obvious"

If it wasn't obvious... I've come off like a condescending ass, and for that I apologize... I don't think that's what's going on here though...

I'm betting I'm right about my latter theory, which is that you are simply trying to wear "I never graduated highschool" as a badge of honor in relation to your current level of success / intelligence... Which is cool for general conversation... "Look at how far I got, and I never graduated Highschool"...

but for a general demographics poll... (and mostly for jobs... colleges... etc) Having a GED is basically the same as graduating highschool...

I'm not really trying to be mean... it's more of a "Come on man. Really?"

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »

It feels like there should be a differentiation between "Attended college but did not graduate" and another option which is  "AttendING college but have not graduated". 

Made the language a friendly combination of both. It's actually not totally relevant the demographics poll whether you are attending or attended.

For example, I have a 4 year degree, and am PART way through a 2 year degree... If I leave school now, I should still finish that 2 year degree at any point.

Also, the numbers for who is a student is on the occuptation poll, eventually, all of this data is going to be shown together.

It also means that technically there isn't an option for me either...
4 year degree, but ALMOST to multiple degrees.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:07:43 PM »

Made the language a friendly combination of both. It's actually not totally relevant the demographics poll whether you are attending or attended.

For example, I have a 4 year degree, and am PART way through a 2 year degree... If I leave school now, I should still finish that 2 year degree at any point.

Also, the numbers for who is a student is on the occuptation poll, eventually, all of this data is going to be shown together.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell since you put it that way... :P

I suppose it makes sense, if it does not matter who has graduated and who is still a student.  Would you still consider it "attended college and did not graduate" if one has taken classes, and has not gone back to finish up quite yet?   :?
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »

I went to one day of college. It was obvious that it would be detrimental if not only a waste of time. I got most of my money back the next day. Now my business card says Engineer.

I would assume then that you hold multiple technical certifications w/o a degree then?

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »

Lets see, I have a  few professional licenses, a 2 year AA degree and I'm about to get my BS in Biology in about 3 semesters at which point I'll start medical school, after med school I plan on going to a Radiology school...  Maybe checkmarks would be better than the radio buttons?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

blackie

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »

and am PART way through a 2 year degree... If I leave school now, I should still finish that 2 year degree at any point.
I got most of the way thru a 4 year degree changing schools every year...I had 90 something credits accepted by the last school I went to about 10 years ago. But it would be almost impossible for me to finish that degree now. Most (if not all) of the schools I went to will not accept credits for classes after 10 years. I did graduate from the U.S. Army Computer science school.

I would assume then that you hold multiple technical certifications w/o a degree then?
I'm also considered an engineer by my employer, and don't have any technical certifications.

On my resume, I list 4 colleges I attended with dates, and it is just assumed I graduated from the last one listed. If anyone asks, I don't lie.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »

How about "School of Hard Knocks"?
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

How about "School of Hard Knocks"?

I think it should count. 
         -George W. Bush

Taors

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 12:49:43 AM »

No personal hostility...

Just being firm...
Maybe I'm wrong in feeling this way... but I don't really think that needed to be explained. So, I felt like I was having to explain the obvious... and in doing so, I was probably coming off as aggressive, because of the REASON I felt I was having to actually make an explanation of something that I was pretty sure you already understood... So it was a sort of firmness in relation to saying... "No, I know you want to say you didn't graduate highschool as a badge of honor, but if you have your GED, that's basically the same as graduating, so you don't count as a non-graduate, so... Come on... it should be pretty obvious"

If it wasn't obvious... I've come off like a condescending ass, and for that I apologize... I don't think that's what's going on here though...

I'm betting I'm right about my latter theory, which is that you are simply trying to wear "I never graduated highschool" as a badge of honor in relation to your current level of success / intelligence... Which is cool for general conversation... "Look at how far I got, and I never graduated Highschool"...

but for a general demographics poll... (and mostly for jobs... colleges... etc) Having a GED is basically the same as graduating highschool...

I'm not really trying to be mean... it's more of a "Come on man. Really?"

My bad nigga, you know I love you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Education Level?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.