Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Age / Gender?

Poll

Which of these Categories are you?

Male 12-17
- 60 (7.7%)
Male 18-24
- 205 (26.2%)
Male 25-34
- 239 (30.6%)
Male 35-44
- 122 (15.6%)
Male 45-54
- 41 (5.2%)
Male 55-64
- 11 (1.4%)
Male 65+
- 2 (0.3%)
Female 12-17
- 3 (0.4%)
Female 18-24
- 37 (4.7%)
Female 25-34
- 37 (4.7%)
Female 35-44
- 13 (1.7%)
Female 45-54
- 8 (1%)
Female 55-64
- 3 (0.4%)
Female 65+
- 1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Age / Gender?  (Read 66244 times)

Violajess

Re: FTL's Demographics
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 04:45:56 PM »

My worry is that the message of liberty, particularly with young FTL listeners, is simply a fad that will fade with time.  They're young & cocky now, but as they're drawn into the 'professional' corporate world with its government-sanctioned legal system, banking, investments/401K, etc., and the additional burdens of home & family, will the tendency be to just go with the flow and submit to the corrupt system because that's how our society works?  Will talk of our Constitution be further reduced to merely academic discussion?

The difference between libertarianism and other philosophies that would seem to prevent it from falling into the fad philosophy group is that it's so simple, consistant, and principled. Even if a libertarian falls off the map into normal life, it'd be simple and easy to re-awaken the philosophy and drive that may have been faded by age. Unlike more complex political philosophies, libertarianism is simple and fluid enough to become adapted to any lifestyle and living situation with proper interpretation.

Charles

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 09:21:45 PM »

I really appreciate the 35-44 bracket.  For some reason I think I would feel older if the cutoff was at 40.  Maybe I have a young mind because I have always been interested in adventure.  I might not fit the normal demographic for talk radio but I think this show is significant.

My worry is that the message of liberty, particularly with young FTL listeners, is simply a fad that will fade with time.  They're young & cocky now, but as they're drawn into the 'professional' corporate world with its government-sanctioned legal system, banking, investments/401K, etc., and the additional burdens of home & family, will the tendency be to just go with the flow and submit to the corrupt system because that's how our society works?  Will talk of our Constitution be further reduced to merely academic discussion?

Well, I certainly think that some libertarians who are young, but end up not being succesful in their endeavors later in life might risk turning into fans of the "safety net."  I fail to see how banking, investments, and family make people turn statist.

Sublex

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 06:55:10 AM »

I'm probably one of the youngest listeners out there.

I'm 12 :)

-struts- :P

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2006, 10:03:43 AM »

I really appreciate the 35-44 bracket.  For some reason I think I would feel older if the cutoff was at 40.  Maybe I have a young mind because I have always been interested in adventure.  I might not fit the normal demographic for talk radio but I think this show is significant.

Well, I certainly think that some libertarians who are young, but end up not being succesful in their endeavors later in life might risk turning into fans of the "safety net."  I fail to see how banking, investments, and family make people turn statist.

Let me tell you something there is no such thing as a, "safety net."  It is just another lie the government tells people.  I have lost jobs yet never ever once qualified for unemployment.  I have been seriously ill but for some reason not ill enough to qualify for social security disability.   Eventhough it would be impossible for me to go back to my former employment.  After losing my job due to pregnancy because the company I worked for was so small they didn't have to follow the pregnancy leave act, I didn't quailify for WIC because my salary for the previous year was too high.  I didn't quailify for medical sublemental insurance because I had a small piece of land that was reivaluated and a car.  The amount was $4000 my land went from being worth only $1000 to being worth $4000 according to the government so when added with the rediculous amount they said my car was worth I am all of a sudden to rich.  Don't kid yourself there is no such thing as a safety net and it is a total fairytale.  The only people who ever quality are either lieing and cheating or it is a political kick back to buy votes, ie unions.  And if you are so sorry as to let yourself get to the level of qualifing for any of it you and your family will be totally fucked when a hurrican or other natural disaster hits.

mbd

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »

I just turned 25, which puts me in the next bracket...  damn I'm old!

Oh shut up!  :lol:  I just barely sneak into the 25-34 age bracket and will become a 35-44-year-old in less than 3 weeks...  :x
I'm 28 and not that wealthy. They say if you have not made it by 25, it is very hard to. What do you guys think?

Who said that? A 24-year old rich person? Hard to do at all, but much easier if you have a whole lifetime.

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »

I wanna be rich! I demand that we redistribute the wealth of everyone that makes over $20,000 directly into my pocket!

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 10:34:45 PM »

Crap my plans have been foiled!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 06:07:16 PM by aquabanianskakid »

Charles

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2006, 11:17:56 PM »

A very large amount of money goes to paying the interest on the national debt.  Several billion dollars actually.  If I can pass an amendment to not allow the US government to build up debt, the interest that goes to the debt should go to me for one year.  They'd really be saving themselves a lot of money.

mbd

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 12:46:28 AM »

A very large amount of money goes to paying the interest on the national debt.  Several billion dollars actually.  If I can pass an amendment to not allow the US government to build up debt, the interest that goes to the debt should go to me for one year.  They'd really be saving themselves a lot of money.

According to this site the national debt is about 8.5 Trillion.
According to this site (popup warning) the current 90-day t-bill rate (the lowest rate the government pays) is 4.95%.

As of today, that's $420 billion a year, more than $1B per day just in interest. This doesn't take into account the $2.5 billion per day increase in the debt, or the higher rates from longer-term debt instruments.

You'd be richer than Bill Gates by the end of February of that year.

Charles

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2006, 12:33:30 AM »

You want a million dollars?

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »

Why, are you handing out money? Because I could really use some to pay off my car.

bsquared

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2006, 01:22:35 AM »

26, so I feel old.  :shock:

-- Bridget

Well I'm 2 weeks away from 39 and I'm not old.

I also don't fit FTL's predicted or actual main audience demographic. YAY that means you won't be targeting any of that nasty advertising at me  :D

-- Bernadette

Ibedi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 11:53:15 PM »

Female, 45...for a couple more weeks.

atlantic

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »

I just turned 25, which puts me in the next bracket...  damn I'm old!

Oh shut up!  :lol:  I just barely sneak into the 25-34 age bracket and will become a 35-44-year-old in less than 3 weeks...  :x
I'm 28 and not that wealthy. They say if you have not made it by 25, it is very hard to. What do you guys think?
I think you shouldn't listen to that, you can always make things better, each new day is a chance to turn it all around ;)

RAnthony

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »

26, so I feel old.  :shock:

Ya'll are a bunch of puppies. I clocked in my 43 birthday last August.  Nobody under the age of 40 gets to 'feel old' without my permission...   :lol:

-RAnthony
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Age / Gender?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.