Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Deleting Lame Accounts

Poll

(Q1) How soon should accounts with 0 posts be deleted?  (Q2) ... acounts with <20 posts?  (Q3) ... accounts with <150 posts?

(A1)  one week w/o posts
- 1 (2%)
(A1)  one month w/o posts
- 4 (8.2%)
(A1)  three months w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A1)  six months w/o posts
- 2 (4.1%)
(A1)  one year w/o posts
- 3 (6.1%)
(A1)  NEVER!
- 3 (6.1%)
(A2)  one week w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A2)  one month w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A2)  three months w/o posts
- 1 (2%)
(A2)  six months w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A2)  one year w/o posts
- 3 (6.1%)
(A2)  NEVER!
- 9 (18.4%)
(A3)  one week w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A3)  one month w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A3)  three months w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A3)  six months w/o posts
- 0 (0%)
(A3)  one year w/o posts
- 5 (10.2%)
(A3)  NEVER!
- 18 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Deleting Lame Accounts  (Read 10103 times)

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
Re: Deleting Lame Accounts
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »

Nah, the poll is just a side-show anyways - this ain't no democracy here.  But it looks like there's an emerging consensus that deleting zero-post accounts after a couple weeks of inactivity is a good idea.  If done right (i.e. an automated warning e-mail three days before deletion), it can actually increase newbie activity.

But I accidentally voted for Buchanan.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

Alex Libman

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 11:56:41 AM »

And I accidentally didn't reset the poll.

Life goes on.

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »

It's important to be able to tell your listeners that your message board has almost 3000 members, whether they're active or not.
$signature not defined.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »

You should give people more than just a couple of weeks to overcome shyness, I think.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Alex Libman

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »

We got 17 members in the 20 hours since I start this thread:

"PC Harris", "ecomiergo", "Insedohon", "Meeliageoge", "BiopewitleTow", "StymnGarErymn", "freshweterp260", "SexyCat", "MolReaL", "Hipolik", "VonyAntenor", "Hoforieffic", "DDDepressionnn", "Lance", "hochuvtail", "Pcmgstot", and "oppoggict".

None have posted thus-far.  I agree that some people take a while to start posting, but it's weird that such a large fraction of new users are like that.  Combined with the recent spike in registrations - something is weird.

(When I'll have the time, I'll tweak the script and smooth-graph registrations-per-day over time, and maybe also a time-to-first-post average.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:49:49 PM by Alex Libman »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »

We got 17 members in the 20 hours since I start this thread:

"PC Harris", "ecomiergo", "Insedohon", "Meeliageoge", "BiopewitleTow", "StymnGarErymn", "freshweterp260", "SexyCat", "MolReaL", "Hipolik", "VonyAntenor", "Hoforieffic", "DDDepressionnn", "Lance", "hochuvtail", "Pcmgstot", and "oppoggict".

None have posted thus-far.

It's all Hansen anyway. Everyone is Hansen.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »

How about the option to permanently shithead Alex Libman instead?
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Alex Libman

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 06:00:42 PM »

It's all Hansen anyway. Everyone is Hansen.

Is that authoritative (i.e. based on them coming from similar IP / hostname patterns or from known proxies)?

My top wild guess was that it's an "inside job" by the #1 nick-hopper rancemuhamitz (currently aka "Rancid Panocha") looking for ways to screw with me.  Acting very weird lately, including deleting all posts...

How about the option to permanently shithead Alex Libman instead?

You're mean!  Girl hormones fighting boy hormones?

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

Not sure, but I just find your constant deletion/recreation of your account a greater disruptive force on the forum than people who prefer to lurk.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Alex Libman

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »

Oh, you're missing 99% of the drama.  Once I hired two separate hitmen to watch this BBS and kill me if I ever came back, setting it up so that I can't pay them not to kill me if I did.  They're both dead now.  :lol:

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »

I hypothesize that they are all lurking and waiting for intelligent threads to jump in on but find only threads about cat eating and obsessiveness about gathering statistics about thread posters.

:P
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

rabidfurby

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »

It doesn't matter exactly how long accounts without posts are given before deletion, all that really matters is that there's a rule about it. A rule that's strictly enforced, preferably by a script. Because the reason this BBS is so shitty is the lack of rules.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:53:28 PM by rabidfurby »

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:41 PM »

It doesn't matter exactly how long posts are given before deletion, all that really matters is that there's a rule about it. A rule that's strictly enforced, preferably by a script. Because the reason this BBS is so shitty is the lack of rules.

...in regards to some things. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

rabidfurby

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »

It doesn't matter exactly how long posts are given before deletion, all that really matters is that there's a rule about it. A rule that's strictly enforced, preferably by a script. Because the reason this BBS is so shitty is the lack of rules.

No, in regards to everything. Everything must have a rule regarding it. Not a guideline or suggestion, but a rule. All rules must be strictly enforced by scripts (that is a rule). If it were not for the rules, this BBS would delve into anarchy, and before you know it we'd all be smoking pot.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »

No, in regards to everything. Everything must have a rule regarding it. Not a guideline or suggestion, but a rule. All rules must be strictly enforced by scripts (that is a rule). If it were not for the rules, this BBS would delve into anarchy, and before you know it we'd all be smoking pot.

WAT 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Deleting Lame Accounts

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.