Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience effectivness?

Poll

How effective is it?

Very effective.
- 0 (0%)
Situationally effective.
- 9 (75%)
Ineffective.
- 1 (8.3%)
Other.
- 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil Disobedience effectivness?  (Read 3960 times)

blackie

Re: Civil Disobedience effectivness?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 10:07:58 PM »

When Ed and Elaine Brown were doing their thing, anyone I spoke with about it (other than here) pretty much thought they were batshit insane,
They are batshit insane. They should have ran.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »

When Ed and Elaine Brown were doing their thing, anyone I spoke with about it (other than here) pretty much thought they were batshit insane,
They are batshit insane. They should have ran.

I bet it would have been nice for them to be able to go outside and take a walk.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »

Situationally effective.

Keys to success:
1) needs to be seen by a large number of people
2) needs to evoke, in the average viewer, empathy with the dissenter and not with the State

Most of the CD I have seen so far in NH has been fail on one or both of the above.
Classic counter-example, of superbly well-done CD, was Mike Fisher's "Outlaw Manicure"
[youtube=425,350]Kx0HH5FIScU[/youtube]

blackie

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »

Situationally effective.

Keys to success:
1) needs to be seen by a large number of people
2) needs to evoke, in the average viewer, empathy with the dissenter and not with the State

Most of the CD I have seen so far in NH has been fail on one or both of the above.
Classic counter-example, of superbly well-done CD, was Mike Fisher's "Outlaw Manicure"
[youtube=425,350]Kx0HH5FIScU[/youtube]

But one of the problems with this kind of stuff is that it points out how shitty NH is. Free state my ass.

Taors

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »

The problem with the stuff Lauren Canario and her bunch does is that it only affects them. I've heard Ian justify this behavior on here and on the show by saying that they're simply 'acting like the free men and women that they are' (I'm obviously paraphrasing here). They have no regard for other people...just what they want, and they want it NOW. They don't want to wait for anyone else to catch up to their ideas, or their way of thinking. They want what they want immediately, and they'll stop at nothing to get it.

fatcat

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »

I've heard Ian justify this behavior on here and on the show by saying that they're simply 'acting like the free men and women that they are'

That is one of the lamest justifications that gets thrown about.

Shit if Lauren Canario is a freedom fighter, I know smack heads who would rival Ghandi in the amount of "acting freely" they do.

Smart people don't get caught.

Buts its about getting attention onto liberty!

oh but wait, no ones paying attention, nevermind....

Taors

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »

I've heard Ian justify this behavior on here and on the show by saying that they're simply 'acting like the free men and women that they are'

Shit if Lauren Canario is a freedom fighter, I know smack heads who would rival Ghandi in the amount of "acting freely" they do.

Exactly...no one cares if you get arrested for not having a driver's license. Almost everyone in this country believes that they're necessary (even quite a few libertarians) for the safety of other drivers besides yourself on the road. You aren't going to win the minds and hearts of the people by constantly flogging their beliefs in the system.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

So uhh.. when was the last time CV changed anything? The Boston Tea Party and Whisky Rebellion don't count.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »

Well, it's not really civil disobedience if you don't get "caught."  The whole point of civil disobedience is  for people to pay attention, and then join you, and they can't do that if they don't know you're doing it in the first place. 

The fact that nobody is paying attention now is testament to exactly how much freedom has been taken away.  In a country with the largest prison population in the world, per capita, you could get sent there for life on bogus charges and chances are that people won't even notice. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience effectivness?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 37 queries.