Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience effectivness?

Poll

How effective is it?

Very effective.
- 0 (0%)
Situationally effective.
- 9 (75%)
Ineffective.
- 1 (8.3%)
Other.
- 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Civil Disobedience effectivness?  (Read 3962 times)

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
Civil Disobedience effectivness?
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:52:22 PM »

I only ask this question because I believe that fundamentally the majority of Americans don't give a flying flip whether 10,000 Lauren Canarios live or die in their action of civil disobedience so long as it doesn't cost them their way of life. What can a CivDis'er do when no one feels for them nor thinks of them?
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

BonerJoe

Re: Civil Disobedience effectivness?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »

Other.

Only effective if LOTS of people are doing it.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »

Other.

What if the asshole down the street and his family, and half the city doesn't give a shit?
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

blackie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »

Other.

this

BonerJoe

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:01 PM »

Other.

What if the asshole down the street and his family, and half the city doesn't give a shit?

Burn their house down. Plus one.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »

Okay, here's my take for wjat its worth. CD doesn't give liberty. The purpose of CD is to get attention, make people think, spread an idea. Going after freedom by engaging in CD is a long-term plan. People doing it are looking for something way down the road, not as an immeediate reward for their action.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

fatcat

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »

Thats like saying how effective is a gun.

Depends whos using it, what they're using it against, etc etc

The only times civil disobedience has been seen to have any large scale effect is when it is used in large numbers (i.e. >1% of the population), something the NH lib crowd seem to be oblivious to.

If you're doing it on your own you're just wasting your time when you could be doing more productive things.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »

The only times civil disobedience has been seen to have any large scale effect is when it is used in large numbers (i.e. >1% of the population), something the NH lib crowd seem to be oblivious to.

If you're doing it on your own you're just wasting your time when you could be doing more productive things.

That's why I put the option for situationally effective.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »

I think they are trying to inspire others - build momentum. For that reason all of the naysayers really bother me. I mean, is criticizing those who are doing something really advancing our cause?
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »

I think they are trying to inspire others - build momentum. For that reason all of the naysayers really bother me. I mean, is criticizing those who are doing something really advancing our cause?

I have no issue with them other than their bullshit attitude. They some how thing just because someone who agrees with them doesn't do it their way is bad/dumb/inferior/whatever, which is the real irk for me with them. As well as they cannot fundamentally answer how to deal with a portion of the population that wouldn't mind blowing someone away for a cheese burger (or some other good/service). How do they expect to deal with the truly violent and unconcerned?

fatcat

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »

Thats why i voted for it.

I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for anyone to answer any other way.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

Thats why i voted for it.

I was just pointing out how stupid it would be for anyone to answer any other way.

No problem, then.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »

Before voting, can someone give an example of a situation where it actually changed something? (In recent years)

Also, why haven't you guys posted in the "Practical Disobedience" thread?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »

I think I sort of agree with Harry Tuttle.  The part that bothers me is that it doesn't do anything but cost local taxpayers money to keep you in these jails repeatedly.  I really think that is the opposite of freedom.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »

When Ed and Elaine Brown were doing their thing, anyone I spoke with about it (other than here) pretty much thought they were batshit insane, and figured they had the whole Waco experience coming to them.  I think this is the usual attitude toward any form of CD, but occasionally, when there is unusual brutality, people might care if it's over an issue that resonates with them.

Well, it made sense to a degree.  But when it gets to the point where there are feds standing guard outside your house and you can't come and go, I'd say that constitutes a loss of freedom as well.  Because the rest of us are still here paying our taxes.  And yes, to an extent we are given a choice - and we choose to pay them to continue receiving what freedoms this country allows us still. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience effectivness?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.