Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Can God kill himself?

Poll

Can God kill himself?

No, He has everlasting life. Says so in the Bible.
- 2 (20%)
Yes, he is all powerful and can do liek anything. Says so in the Bible.
- 1 (10%)
But if he can do anything he wants, then he can.
- 3 (30%)
But if that's true then technically he doesn't have everlasting life.. cause it can come to an end.
- 0 (0%)
But it can't cause it's everlasting..
- 0 (0%)
But he can do whatever he wants!
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can God kill himself?  (Read 4424 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Can God kill himself?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »

According to the creation story, man was created in god's image. Many believe this means god bestowed upon man free will. So, if a man has the free will to commit suicide it reasons that god would be able to also (first).

That's my take on it and I'm sticking to it.

The story of Jesus is an actual example of self inflicted dietiracide. 
If you believed that Jesus is God then sure.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

patrickj

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »

I guess it depends on your definition of god.  Christian (which i am not) god, i think their answer would be no. 

ask christians:

Would jesus vote?

davann

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »

According to the creation story, man was created in god's image. Many believe this means god bestowed upon man free will. So, if a man has the free will to commit suicide it reasons that god would be able to also (first).

That's my take on it and I'm sticking to it.

The story of Jesus is an actual example of self inflicted dietiracide. 

If you believed that Jesus is God then sure.

In the lexicon of deities, he qualifies. Like Zues, Yahweh or Annubis. I believe he was the god of lawn maintenance up until he got caught drinking from the neighbors water hose and urinating on the bushes. Then his white middle class employer had to fire him and hire his brother Sergio.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »

Here's the way I learned it from a priest. God is omnipotent, which most people take to mean "all-powerful," that is, He can "do anything." But, what omnipotent may mean is "most powerful." God can do anything that is actually possible to do. Thus, it would by logic be impossible for Him to resolve a contradiction, such as making a rock so heavy He could not lift it, and that sort of nonsense. Nor could He somehow cause 2 + 2 to add up to 5, since it would entail an absurdity.

Can God kill himself? Obviously not, since it would be impossible for a non-existing being to bring himself out of existence.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 06:27:27 AM »

Here's the way I learned it from a priest. God is omnipotent, which most people take to mean "all-powerful," that is, He can "do anything." But, what omnipotent may mean is "most powerful." God can do anything that is actually possible to do. Thus, it would by logic be impossible for Him to resolve a contradiction, such as making a rock so heavy He could not lift it, and that sort of nonsense. Nor could He somehow cause 2 + 2 to add up to 5, since it would entail an absurdity.

Is this difference between "all-powerful" and "most powerful" somehow supported by religious doctrine? I think not. Remember, thar be miracles, the definition of a miracle is something that happens that is in fact impossible.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:13 AM »

Is this difference between "all-powerful" and "most powerful" somehow supported by religious doctrine? I think not. Remember, thar be miracles, the definition of a miracle is something that happens that is in fact impossible.
I think the question is on the definition of omnipotence.  I see it as more of an omnipresence.  God created (and is the entirety of) the universe and at said time set the laws of nature, many of which we have discovered/described/conjectured through scientific inquiry.  Everytime you perform an action you are obeying the laws of nature, they are laws you cannot break by definition of pure scientific fact.  2 + 2 = 4 ALWAYS because it is a law of nature.  The question of "Can God Kill Himself?" in my opinion is really the question of "Can God change the laws of nature as he sees fit?".  And in my opinion and from my religious perspective that question is on its face invalid because it demands that God have a human like mind that has whims and desires.  I guess I'm too pantheistic, but it I am what I am and I believe what I believe.

Sum up: I think that the question is invalid from my religious perspective, but I can see how the question would destroy any validity in a human like God such as Jesus being all powerful or most powerful or whatever.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »

I think the question is on the definition of omnipotence.  I see it as more of an omnipresence.  God created (and is the entirety of) the universe and at said time set the laws of nature, many of which we have discovered/described/conjectured through scientific inquiry.  Everytime you perform an action you are obeying the laws of nature, they are laws you cannot break by definition of pure scientific fact.  2 + 2 = 4 ALWAYS because it is a law of nature.  The question of "Can God Kill Himself?" in my opinion is really the question of "Can God change the laws of nature as he sees fit?".  And in my opinion and from my religious perspective that question is on its face invalid because it demands that God have a human like mind that has whims and desires.  I guess I'm too pantheistic, but it I am what I am and I believe what I believe.

No, the question does not require the godthing to have any qualities what so ever. The question is not "Would god commit suicide on a whim" or "Would god want to commit suicide", the question is just whether he/she/it would be able to in any circumstance. Could a god powerful enough to create the universe and the laws of nature be powerful enough to rid said universe of his/hers/its own existence?

At the same time, the god described in works like the bible is a very antropomorphic god who quite clearly has human feelings like rage, and acts on whims. He/she/it makes mistakes, and then corrects them by doing impossible things. The bible even says that the humans are created in the god's image, and so it would not be unreasonable to portray him/her/it with suicidal whims and desires in a thought experiment.

You're obviously too pantheistic, or perhaps deistic. But I kinda like that. theists have a tendency to be difficult to deal with :P

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »

But but but but. Yeah, he could have killed himself, but Zeus got to him first.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Can God kill himself?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.