Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Blackwater v. al-Maliki

Poll

Who will be kicked out of Iraq first?

Blackwater
- 2 (25%)
al-Maliki
- 6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackwater v. al-Maliki  (Read 1855 times)

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
Blackwater v. al-Maliki
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gkx-3oYeFwuWKCusr2jrojs98w8w
BAGHDAD (AP) — The Iraqi government said Monday that it was revoking the license of an American security firm accused of involvement in the deaths of eight civilians in a firefight that followed a car bomb explosion near a State Department motorcade.

The Interior Ministry said it would prosecute any foreign contractors found to have used excessive force in the Sunday shooting. It was latest accusation against the U.S.-contracted firms that operate with little or no supervision and are widely disliked by Iraqis who resent their speeding motorcades and forceful behavior.

Interior Ministry spokesman Abdul-Karim Khalaf said eight civilians were killed and 13 were wounded when contractors believed to be working for Blackwater USA opened fire in a predominantly Sunni neighborhood of western Baghdad.

"We have canceled the license of Blackwater and prevented them from working all over Iraqi territory. We will also refer those involved to Iraqi judicial authorities," Khalaf said.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki late Sunday condemned the shooting by a "foreign security company" and called it a "crime."

The decision to pull the license was likely to face a challenge, as it would be a major blow to a company that was at the forefront of one of the main turning points in the war.

The 2004 battle of Fallujah — an unsuccessful military assault in which an estimated 27 U.S. Marines were killed, along with an unknown number of civilians — was retaliation for the killing, maiming and burning of four Blackwater guards in that city by a mob of insurgents.

Tens of thousands of foreign private security contractors work in Iraq — some with automatic weapons, body armor, helicopters and bulletproof vehicles — to provide protection for Westerners and dignitaries in Iraq as the country has plummeted toward anarchy and civil war.

The question of whether they could face prosecution is legally murky. Unlike soldiers, the contrators are not bound by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Under a special provision secured by American-occupying forces, they are exempt from prosecution by Iraqis for crimes committed there.

Khalaf, however, denied that the exemption applied to private security companies.

Blackwater has an estimated 1,000 employees in Iraq, and at least $800 million in government contracts. It is one of the most high-profile security firms in Iraq, with its fleet of "Little Bird" helicopters and armed door gunners swarming Baghdad and beyond.

The secretive company, run by a former Navy SEAL, is based at a massive, swampland complex. Until the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, it had few security contracts.

Since then, Blackwater profits have soared. And it has become the focus of numerous controversies in Iraq, including the May 30 shooting death of an Iraqi deemed to be driving too close to a Blackwater security detail.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

annyab

Re: Blackwater v. al-Maliki
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:21:12 AM »

Blackwater is like 15 mins from where I live. I really don't like waht they do, but they are a good example of what our military would be like if privatized. The poor spouses of these Blackwater people getting killed are treated like shit and given no explanation or information, it's sad. It's good to see Iraq actually acting as a sovereign nation and kicking blackwater out (of course that actually happening is up in the air).

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »

Blackwater is like 15 mins from where I live. I really don't like waht they do, but they are a good example of what our military would be like if privatized. The poor spouses of these Blackwater people getting killed are treated like shit and given no explanation or information, it's sad. It's good to see Iraq actually acting as a sovereign nation and kicking blackwater out (of course that actually happening is up in the air).

How, exactly, is a government contractor with state-negotiated immunity from prosecution a "good example of what our military would be like if privatized"?  Unless you mean "privatized" as the government uses is, which is a government contractor with state-negotiated immunity.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Santiago Johimbe

• ....by the river now. Hey! Where are my nachos?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

The difference is that blackwater can be kicked out and can be prosecuted. Just try that with the US military.

Maybe private security firms can market their exploits as 'reality' tv shows.

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »

How, exactly, is a government contractor with state-negotiated immunity from prosecution a "good example of what our military would be like if privatized"?  Unless you mean "privatized" as the government uses is, which is a government contractor with state-negotiated immunity.

The difference is that blackwater can be kicked out and can be prosecuted. Just try that with the US military.

Maybe private security firms can market their exploits as 'reality' tv shows.

No, that's still the same thing, i.e., statism.  The "bad guys" change, but so long as you're a "good guy," you get immunity.

Santiago Johimbe

• ....by the river now. Hey! Where are my nachos?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »

So why are they talking about prosecuting the blackwater guys. Aren't they still the "good guys"?

annyab

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »

i meant, if the military were gov't contracted... not an example which is good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Blackwater v. al-Maliki

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.