Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Black Friday?

Poll

Love it or Hate it?

Love it.
Hate it.
Who fucking cares?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Friday?  (Read 35657 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday?
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

Sounds like someone needs to go back to the loss leader thread.  When you let the market decide, there is always room for competition, and nobody squashes that except for a governing body.  "We" as anarcho-capitalists can support the conducting of business because that's exactly what it is.  A private business entity, and if we don't like it - we simply choose not to do business or be employed there (as I said before).  And then, eventually enough people get fed up that they pool their resources and start a competing business with products and services at a lower cost (possibly loss leaders) because they will likely steal enough business from the big bad company to still generate a profit.

All of this is fairly simple, and you're twisting it into something that it's not.  We're dealing with private businesses here, and there is nothing wrong with private businesses. 

Let's take Microsoft for example.  Huge, multi-national, multi-billion dollar company.  Holds most of the market share for its niche.  If people did not find that Microsoft's products and services are useful, what would happen?  OH!  There would be other companies...like Apple, and Linux, that offer competing products and services.  And may someday hold the majority of Microsoft's clientele.  You let the consumer decide.  Not you, Mr. Internet.  Not me, not Barack Obama, not anybody else.  It's a culmination. 

People decide what works for them, even in the face of extreme suffering.  For some people, paying their taxes doesn't work for them - so they don't!  For some people, Pepsi doesn't work for them - so they drink Coke.  Some use Linux because they don't like Windows or Mac.  I drive a Honda because a Ford didn't work out so well for me.  The only real monopoly in play here IS the government. 

I'm getting redundant because I've already brought the ideas to light, and so have other people - but I guess when they come from some and not others they're obviously not good enough. 

Edit and Addendum:  After a good night's sleep I have decided that this must be a case of playing devil's advocate and not an actual belief system, because most likely you wouldn't be interested in hearing what we have to say on this subject.  I could be wrong though. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:59:02 AM by Krasavitsa »
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »

If you don't like a company's policies and actions that much, don't work for or shop with them. 

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2008, 11:57:58 AM »

Blackonred, thinking a little more about what you're saying, you're basically the kid who comes into a game of rock-paper-scissors saying that his fist is "everything-proof". If your initial conditions turn whatever private entity you're worried about into a coercive entity, that's what it is, and none of us would support it.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »

If you don't like a company's policies and actions that much, don't work for or shop with them. 

Don't agree with me, Matt.  That would automatically mean that you're stupid and cannot come up with ideas of your own. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »

These scenarios are all presented with virtuous CEO's and owners right?

It would be wise to leave a bit of room for greed and corruption. Consider coal mining just a couple of generations ago..

Mine offers to buy land, set up shop, provide jobs, housing, food, mercantile - to anyone who will come and work for them.

Mine owns land, shop, housing, food and mercantile. Mine pays with some cash and some credits.

Poor people come to work, live in mine owned houses, shop at mine owned stores- and in tough times run up a line of credit.

Mine controls wages (and prices for food, rent, etc.), workers form union to attempt to gain a more fair wage.

Mine denies request and cuts off credit, begins eviction from mine owned properties.

Workers strike, mine merely hires "scabs" to work in place of the strikers.

Scabs replace strikers, usually violently. Violence is doled out by scabs and the mines own private security.

Poor workers are out of the picture. Scabs are eventually taken advantage of, then they are done away with in the same fashion.

Mine continues to function as normal- and is also paying off anyone who might report health/safety/environment concerns to keep quiet.

Nothing says this couldn't happen in the free market, although it wouldn't be as severe since people have many more options than just working at the mine..

I do think that if enough responsible people were able to form a society for themselves, then the virtuous free market system could exist. Expecting it all to run without a hitch is misty eyed dreaming!

I also think that a society bound by endless contracting with one another is doomed to fail. Ideally people would be responsible and respectful enough not take advantage of someone else, and would always follow through with their promises. But how likely is that?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Black Friday?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 36 queries.