Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Best Web Forum Software

Poll

As a user, which WWW BBS software do you prefer?

SMF (free) - used by this forum, etc (see below)
- 8 (44.4%)
vBulletin ($160) - used by RPF, etc
- 4 (22.2%)
phpBB (free) - very popular, older version used by IWF, etc
- 3 (16.7%)
Invision ($150+) - used by CC, etc
- 0 (0%)
MyBB (free)
- 1 (5.6%)
Vanilla (free)
- 0 (0%)
PunBB (free)
- 0 (0%)
OTHER - please post
- 1 (5.6%)
Drupal (free) - added late
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Web Forum Software  (Read 8364 times)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Best Web Forum Software
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:14:33 PM »

Just discovered the Free Minds TV forum, which uses phpBB.
I knew there was a reason I never clicked that link

Alex Libman

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »

Recently came across:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 03:42:41 PM by Alex Libman »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

(Note that someone just bumped this thread talking about phpBB, and I started typing the below reply, but by the time I was ready to post it the person above me deleted his/her post...  I would appreciate it if that person restored that post if at all possible.)

I just started using a phpBB-based forum at GraveyardOfTheGods.com, and it seems like phpBB has improved quite a bit since I used it last (version 2.xx), but, due to my recent enlightenment on how copyleft licenses encourage government aggression - I would avoid all of the aforementioned forum software from now on.

As for the rest of the server stack, the Apache and PHP licenses are fairly permissive, but MySQL should definitely be replaced with PostgreSQL (or possibly SQLite for tiny projects), which would eliminate the majority of forum packages out there.  The Linux kernel should also be avoided in favor of something like FreeBSD, but that change should not affect the high-level forum software in any conceivable way.

I was initially able to only find a handful of forum packages that don't violate the Non-Aggression Principle (by which I mean they have a permissive license or are public domain, and they work on top of a permissively-licensed software stack below them): Phorum, the forks of OvBB, and some wacky idea called FruitShow.  There also seem to be many new projects to build forum software with something like Django [2] or Grails [2].

And, needless to say, one can always proclaim that Web interfaces are for noobs and just run an NNTP server instead.  ;)

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

I just came across an awesome site called BackendBattles.com which ranks the server-side technologies used throughout the Web's 10,000 most popular sites, including forums, CMS, blog software, etc.

The most popular forum backend on those top sites is predictably vBulletin (233), followed by phpBB (34), Invision Power Board (20), and finally our habitual SMF (10) at fourth place.

Drupal (69) is the most popular Content Management System, Joomla (25) is second, and MediaWiki (22) is third.

WordPress (194) is by far the most popular blogging software, with Movable Type (14) a very distant second.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:13:29 PM by Alex Libman »

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »

They need to rethink the way they rank things. WordPress is much closer to a CMS these days. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Best Web Forum Software

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.