Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Autumn and the things it brings under its frosty coat

Poll

Pick, fool.

Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter
It all sucks, I'd rather sleep
70°

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn and the things it brings under its frosty coat  (Read 7235 times)

Bill Brasky

Autumn and the things it brings under its frosty coat
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:29:25 PM »

Autumn is upon us, the trees are just beginning to change in the Northeast.  Outside I can see the first telltale signs of color in a few species of tree, mostly some subtle red as if they're feeling a little bashful and blushed at the approach of the full orange Harvest Moons that will soon grace our early darkened skies.

Next will come the geese flying in their loosely constructed V's as they obey their instinct to survive.  The winds are carrying a chill in their whorls and the heat of the now elderly summer sun is vanquished with a few thin clouds only to return when it feels like showing its face for a few moments like a nosy neighbor minding its business in its own yard, not far but less ambitious in its retirement.  Soon the scent of burning leaves will waft across our senses and remind us of other things from other times.  Pumpkins will be hauled, apples will be bobbed for by little kids on Sundays as they plunge their faces into tubs of water much too cold for leisurely childrens games.  

In this season, I am always reminded of a crush I had on a girl named Autumn who was much too old and experienced for a pup like me, at the time.  Man, she was cool.  Looking back on it, she wasn't old at all.  I'm probably her age now as she was then, if that makes any sense.  It wasn't a freaky crush, but she was quite something.  I went to a party with her once by invitation and she was always very reserved at work, always mellow and had a very slight hippie edge to her, long skirts and maybe some bells on her wrist.  So she shows up at this party wearing a long black silk dress with a dragon on it, about four feet long from over her breast flowing down her torso and the tail finally ended at her knee.  I had a pile of CD's with me and asked her if she was interested in hearing anything out of it, she flicks through it and comes up with the Metallica Black album.  Play it loud, she says, then sits there perfectly quiet with her shoe dangling off her toe.  

So, I like this season, but it ends badly because the winter is something I'd rather avoid.  Winter might look nice through a window, but other than that, it holds no allure for me, I simply hate the cold.  Winter is a huge mess of holiday blitz advertising and scraping of windshields and shoveling snow just so you can go to work and suffer through five months of shivvering while your car warms up.  Nice time of year for gathering, though, people are festive and theres many things that can be done indoors.  

Spring for me is amazing.  I feel rejuvinated, its the only reason I can tolerate the inhospitality of winter weather, is the rush when everything comes back to life and holds the promise of a long season of warmth and crickets chirping through open windows when the house is silent at night.  Best of all is the leisure, the comfort of pleasant weather, the vacations, kids riding their bikes and swimming in pools making a goddamn nuisance of themselves, burnt hotdogs on a grill that's seen better days.  

But I think the true beauty of spring is the potential it holds, it announces itself with a robust flourish of unrestrainable nature and promises to give everything it has for a short season of lusty heat - knowing all the while it will fall to dust when its time is done and the scythe strikes it down as if it never were at all.  

I vote spring.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:18:33 PM by Bill Brasky »

mrapplecastle

Re: Autumn and the things it brings under it's frosty coat
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:31:02 PM »

bonerjoe

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »

Fall, 'cause you can go fuck around in the western part of the US and it isn't too hot or cold.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »

I'm from Florida, where such "seasons" have no bearing except on the calendar. In Florida, you get a dry season and a wet season. Dry is from January to June, wet is from July to December.

I prefer the late wet season and early dry season, which is about November to February. It's like what I understand fall is everywhere north.

I'll find out what fall is supposed to be like soon, 'cause I'm in North Carolina now.

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:37:57 PM »

Fall.
I like coats.
Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »

It's spring here now, quite nice really.

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »

I'm going to guess southern hemisphere?
Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »

I like fall, it's what comes after that makes me want to crawl in a hole. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:46:05 PM »

Winter.  I love the cold.  I love snow.  I love the holidays.  I love to be little miss homemaker...holidays give me an excuse to cook and bake and all that stuff.  Decorating, too.  But mostly, I look forward to a break from the heat.  I hate hot weather.   
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »

Here, winter is too cold and snowy to do much of anything, unless you enjoy skiing. Spring is alright, except that early spring is wet and muddy, with ticks in high hunger mode, and late spring gets pretty warm. Summer is too hot to enjoy much outdoor activity, the rattlesnakes are out and about, and all the campgrounds are crammed full with families brimming with screaming kids.

That leaves fall, from late summer until early November. Weather is perfect; bugs gone, snakes lethargic, and campgrounds largely empty. My kind of season.

I just returned from a three-day trip to the mountains in northeast Washington.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

bonerjoe

Re: Autumn and the things it brings under its frosty coat
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 09:23:04 PM »

I just returned from a three-day trip to the mountains in northeast Washington.

Bastard.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »

Pacific NW is one of my fav's, winters much too harsh though.

Somewhere west of Wyoming in the southern part of Idaho - or maybe into Oregon, I can't remember...  But theres this desert with little boulders sprinkled all over it, thousands of 'em.  Its whats left from the glaciers retreat.  That is probably one of the most unusual landscapes I've ever seen. 

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »

I'm going to guess southern hemisphere?

Naw, alternate universe.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:45 PM »

Summer. Heat doesn't really bother me, assuming air conditioning.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

rabidfurby

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »

Summer. Heat doesn't really bother me, assuming air conditioning.

So heat doesn't really bother you, as long as it's.....not hot?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Autumn and the things it brings under its frosty coat

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.