Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?

Poll

Do you own a

Apple
- 13 (20.6%)
Microsoft
- 29 (46%)
Linux
- 21 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?  (Read 25070 times)

Brian Wolf

Re: Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 11:25:58 AM »

Have you ever even used a Mac?
  • OSX has had the Darwin core since it first came out.
    It is way more secure. There have been a few exploits for the Mac, but not enough to be a problem.
    Its easier to use.
    Its faster.
    Its much nicer looking.
    Now that they have switched to Intel, you can run your Windoze on it.
    Its not twice as much, it is a little more expensive, but the hardware is better quality.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:28:04 AM by Brian Wolf »

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

If I had the money I would get a Mac... but my cheap pc was just to tempting. I like the look of OSX and it is fairly user friendly. In all honesty, if Linux ran better on my computer I would have stuck to it. Windows is ok, but not great.

ladyattis

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »

It's just that Unix based systems are often easier to lock down than Bloze based systems. First, most host server functions in Unix are separate from the kernel in the form of programs called daemons [in reference to Maxwell's Daemon], so if one daemon is found to be buggy you just turn it off and take it off your crond list. Second, memory is managed in what is known as protected mode. Protected mode memory is basically where a block of memory is quartered off for one program for the cycle of the program's time [when it's running] and no other programs can access it [although it can send signals to other programs to parse data them like D-Bus and etc]. So if that program fails it just fails in its addressed memory, preventing the system from crashing. This often works, although this doesn't stop 'kernel' panics, which are system crashes of the kernel when something messes up, usually something to do with memory management and/or hardware interfacing [which is why I don't compile a kernel with hardware support beyond the basics. I got HAL, ALSA, ESD, XFree86, and etc to handle my hardware].  Bloze doesn't have this modularization out of the box or ever. That's why bloze often fails.

-- Bridget

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 03:26:42 PM »

And on one hand I doubt that the average luser will follow suit, which means Linux and open source remain marginal. On the other hand, I'm betting MicroShaft and it's corporate software buddies will start playing hardball (i.e. getting open source outlawed, or void the GPL) when they start seriously loosing marketshare; so I'm doubting that I'll be left with much choice in the long run...

-RAnthony
Microsoft doesn’t need to do any of that to defeat any other company in market share.  Apple does not seem to be interested in market share, opting to be the “sharper image” of computers, and Distribution Purists who become angered when Ubuntu ships with binary drivers will prevent Linux from going anywhere because they believe that my grandmother should be more interested in hippie software freedom than expecting her camera to work when she plugs it into the computer.  Microsoft wins because they’re the only ones bothering to try to win.

It is way more secure. There have been a few exploits for the Mac, but not enough to be a problem.
    Its easier to use.
    Its faster.
    Its much nicer looking.
    Its not twice as much, it is a little more expensive, but the hardware is better quality.
I’m not sure how the hardware quality is better since they are using the same parts that are in many PCs manufactured by other companies which are sold much less expensively. 
$signature not defined.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »

Its easier to use.
    Its faster.
    Its much nicer looking.

Yes I've used a Mac. 

1) more secure than what?  All OS's available on any platform?

2) easier to use than what?  + easy is what you know. 

3) faster than what?

4) yeah.... probably prettier but My tower is under the desk.

5) now that they've switched to intel they're just another PC

6)  I build my own...  It's twice as much.  better quality than what?....  My hardware doesn't typically break faster than I replace it for other reasons.  I've had one HD go out after 5 years....  that's understandable, after 5 years it was time for more storage space.... storing massive amounts of audio/video had become practical and cheap in the last 5 years.  and one heavily used 4x CD burner crap out on me.  It was time to get a faster burner anyway.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 04:06:43 PM by Roycerson »

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »

Hey Roy, you never responded. Are you taking me out to dinner or what? Now now don't deny that Macs are really nice.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2006, 04:21:24 PM »

It's Royce....  I must have missed the dinner post....  and uh... no....  hadn't planned on it... why?

I've never enjoyed my experience w/ Macs.  The spinning beach ball comes no less often than the blue screen.  Now that I'm thinking about it.  I haven't got a blue screen since Win95 on my own machine.

My Dad's Bachelor's is in "the use of computers in education" and when he got that degree Apple was supposed to fill that niche.  He taught in the computer lab at Mizzou in grad school.  I had the run of the place at 5 years old.  I did my first word processing on appleworks.  My training is on MS OS's.  I suppose it's possible that they don't actually DO more but it is true that I can do more with them.

OK OK...  I admit..  those desktop macs are kinda pretty.  But I'm looking at a 21" monitor right now.  That's WAY better than having the side of it look pretty. 

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »

Because you're hot? Sorry for hitting on you, while talking on an online bbs. Must be the beer.

RAnthony

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »

Microsoft wins because they’re the only ones bothering to try to win.

Microsoft wins because it is supplied on a PC system at no significant charge.  It's a lot like payroll deductions.  Most people don't notice the difference between net income and gross income.  They don't do their own taxes, balance a checkbook, etc.  That's why they support things like socialized medicine; it will be free to them because they don't count the costs that come out of their pocket before they even know what they had.  There isn't a cost to them at point of purchase, so they think of it as free.

When you buy a computer system, there is a lump sum fee that you pay.  There is no detailed record of what everything that goes into your computer costs.  There is a software upchage of about a hundred bucks on the average windows system.  I can buy a complete computer system with a Linux OS on it for 150 to 200 bucks.  Windows systems are generally much higher than that.

If people had to pay for the software upfront, this would all be a different story.  Microsoft would not have the marketshare they currently have.  The MPAA and the RIAA would not have been able to advance their agendas because there would be no monolithic software giant to enforce their will.  There wouldn't be the problem that currently exists with viruses and malware, because there wouldn't be a Swiss cheese OS out there that is specifically set up to be hijacked.

[The average windows system is shipped with a default user profile created, and an administrator account invisible on top of it.  None of the accounts are password protected, and the average user doesn't know about the admin account that anyone can log on to.  When you plug the box into the network, it's a simple thing for a cracker to ping it, load his software onto the system through one of a hundred or so open ports, log on to the administrator account remotely, and hijack the system.  It generally takes about 15 minutes for this to occur, according to the last article I read on the subject. Systems set up to be hijacked.]

It is the massive market share (and sweet deals for exclusivity with Microsoft) that has gotten peripheral suppliers (like cameras and scanners)  to program their drivers for Windows only.  There was a time when driver disks had multiple OS options on them.  I almost never see that anymore.  It's not the fault of Linux programmers that peripherals aren't recognized, it is the fault of the manufacturers who don't support anything but Windows; and will in fact build their hardware to rely on Windows (as in the case of some printers) to the exclusion of everybody else.

It's a corporate disease, much like a free-government-provided disease.

-RAnthony

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »

6)  I build my own...

You build your own laptop?

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 04:47:03 PM »

You actually could if you wanted to. But I have yet to find a barebones that was cheap enough to be worth buying.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »

I've thought about building a laptop.  I saw in a magazine at a doctor's office that it is something that people do these days.  After seeing that thing about about the keylogger in the dell laptop I know I will seriously look into it when the time comes.  I don't think they are as nice as the cool one's my friends are getting with the articulating keyboards, harmon kardon speakers and all.  That would be a downside.  I really dig those articulating keyboards.

Even if I don't build a laptop I wouldn't be tempted to get a Mac.

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2006, 05:02:20 PM »

Ohhhh Roy er Royce don't deny your love for me

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2006, 05:02:48 PM »

I've thought about building a laptop.  I saw in a magazine at a doctor's office that it is something that people do these days.  After seeing that thing about about the keylogger in the dell laptop I know I will seriously look into it when the time comes.  [...]

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/dellbug.asp

Quote from:
Although furtive eavesdropping on computer activity is certainly possible, the specific tale presented above is nothing more than an example of "government conspiracy" type hoaxlore. It originally appeared on www.chromance.de (from which it has since been removed, although it remains mirrored elsewhere), a site which carried several other obvious hoaxes. The graphics for the article were lifted from another site's page about commercial keyboard loggers, and the purported letter from the Department of Homeland Security appears to be an altered version of someone else's example of correspondence from the DHS.
$signature not defined.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »

Because you're hot? Sorry for hitting on you, while talking on an online bbs. Must be the beer.

Quite alright.  I've discussed it with my closest advisors and I'm permitted to be flattered without having to buy a pink shirt and change my accent so I think I'm OK with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.