Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?

Poll

Do you own a

Apple
- 13 (20.6%)
Microsoft
- 29 (46%)
Linux
- 21 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?  (Read 25074 times)

Gustav

Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:29:06 PM »

This is obviously a random post but I'm just wondering what the rest of the libertarian crowd surfs the web on.

Taors

Re: Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »

Where's the option for all three?

Gustav

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 07:52:43 PM »

If you have all three pick your favorite OS.

AlexLibman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:17:38 PM »

I guess "Linux" is a catch-all category.  Vote "Linux" if:

• Your hardware is Apple, but your software isn't.

• You have to use a Micropple OS, but you tie in as much FLOSS as possible, through dual-boot, remote access, or emulation (Cygwin, CoLinux, VMware, etc.)

I fall into this last category: stupid proprietary VPN client doesn't work w/o Windows, and most clients / co-workers are using Microsoft Office.  And, I must admit, the tablet features of my hybrid laptop work better in Windows.  But I still do most of my development for LAMP, using several Linux boxes I ssh into, so I'm voting "Linux".  You can tie the Linux components pretty close to your Windows system, via an X server and something like SfpDrive.  Most Windows Apps I run locally are available for Linux as well, which will especially be the case once KDE4 comes out.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:52:59 PM »

This is obviously a random post but I'm just wondering what the rest of the libertarian crowd surfs the web on.
M$ or Linux all the way (I CAN"T STAND APPLES!)
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Brent

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:04:28 PM »

All I know is that I have an Apple and my girlfriend runs Windows on her PC.  My computer always works (printing, not freezing, generally doing what I want it to) and hers never does.  Windows seems to involve a constant battle against your machine.  It seems to me that every Windows user I know hates their computer while every Apple user loves theirs.

BugEyedBeast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:33:46 AM »

Win XP, 5 year old hardware, constantly at 100% CPU use if I don't forget to feed it tasks.  Works fine, but I'll probably go with a linux variant next time I change the operating system.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:04:22 PM by BugEyedBeast »
Ralph Wiggins 2012!

Brian Wolf

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »

I am using Kubuntu 6.06 on my old G3 PPC
I am using WinXP Pro on my wifes machine (she needs it for work and school)
And Dual Boot WinXP and Ubuntu 6.10 on the Laptop.
I am probably gonna fix up the G3 to dual boot OSX and Kubuntu, believe it or not, 10.3.9 seems to run faster than Kubuntu on it!
Plus I just kida miss OSX.
My next computer will be an Intel Mac, and I am going to tri-boot OSX, WinXP, and Linux.
I will not switch to Vista unless I absoloutly have to.
I am really liking Ubuntu.

ladyattis

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:06:06 AM »

I am using Kubuntu 6.06 on my old G3 PPC
I am using WinXP Pro on my wifes machine (she needs it for work and school)
And Dual Boot WinXP and Ubuntu 6.10 on the Laptop.
I am probably gonna fix up the G3 to dual boot OSX and Kubuntu, believe it or not, 10.3.9 seems to run faster than Kubuntu on it!
Plus I just kida miss OSX.
My next computer will be an Intel Mac, and I am going to tri-boot OSX, WinXP, and Linux.
I will not switch to Vista unless I absoloutly have to.
I am really liking Ubuntu.

It's a good debian derivative distro to be honest. Even the other debian distros are now starting to use ubuntu repos as their base instead of debian proper [sarge, etch and etc]. Also, the greatest thing about it is despite the fact that ubuntu is fairly resource demanding, it still doesn't come close to the usually demands of other OSes for the same feature set.

-- Bridget

Jason Orr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »

I'm on an iBook G4.  I chose a Mac because I felt it was a superior product, and I don't regret my choice.  I thoroughly enjoy the OSX software.
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money”

--Alexis de Tocqueville

RAnthony

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 11:46:54 PM »

I currently run WinXP, Suse, Red Hat and Ubuntu.  I've not met with the Linux distro that I love, but I will be giving up Windows as soon as they try and force Vista on me.  I have no intention of ever upgrading, and almost regret moving off of W2K. Software authorization is a complete joke (having to ask for permission to run software that was legally purchased, what a rip off) and won't be purchasing any software that uses it from here on out.

I've never been thrilled with Mac's either, price point on the systems has not been competitive until recently.  Now that they run on intel, that barrier will go away.  Even though I've never owned a Mac, I have a version of OSX that will run on a Wintel box.  I need to load that one too...

-RAnthony

ladyattis

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:48:57 PM »

try KateOS if you want a full featured Slackware-like Distro. :)

-- Bridget

RAnthony

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2006, 12:22:45 AM »

try KateOS if you want a full featured Slackware-like Distro. :)

They all seem to lack the same features.  DVD playing and burning.  Strangely the first distro that I tried, Suse, seems to have the most support for Multimedia; and I considered it seriously flawed in that it left out playability for most DVD's available in the US. 

Yes, I know I can build (and do build) players that will handle protected DVD's, I just want the damn system to handle them out of the box, which is something Windows doesn't do either, BTW.

-RAnthony

rollins100

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 06:51:34 AM »

All I know is that I have an Apple and my girlfriend runs Windows on her PC.  My computer always works (printing, not freezing, generally doing what I want it to) and hers never does.  Windows seems to involve a constant battle against your machine.  It seems to me that every Windows user I know hates their computer while every Apple user loves theirs.

Amen brutha!

I have been using Apple products since I was five, and I'm not about to switch now!  Granted, they are pricey, though.  But I think it is worth it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:54:10 AM by rollins100 »

BugEyedBeast

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 07:36:52 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/v/t-L-0s-7-Z0

Bummer, can't embed flash here - suppose someone abused that early on.  Link still works.  Just for fun :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:39:19 AM by BugEyedBeast »
Ralph Wiggins 2012!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Apple, Microsoft, or Linux?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.