Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

Poll

Q1: what MS OS do you run now?   Q2: did/will you try Windows 7 RC?  Q3: your opinion?

Q1: Windows 7 RC already
- 7 (9.3%)
Q1: Windows 7 beta
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Server 2008
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Vista
- 8 (10.7%)
Q1: Windows Server 2003
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows XP
- 9 (12%)
Q1: Windows 2000
- 0 (0%)
Q1: an older MS OS
- 1 (1.3%)
Q1: I touch nothing from Microsoft!
- 3 (4%)
Q2: tried it in beta
- 4 (5.3%)
Q2: tried it in RC
- 3 (4%)
Q2: will try RC soon
- 0 (0%)
Q2: will wait for final release
- 8 (10.7%)
Q2: will wait for SP1
- 3 (4%)
Q2: never!
- 6 (8%)
Q3: didn't try yet
- 11 (14.7%)
Q3: it was perfect
- 3 (4%)
Q3: it was OK, no complaints
- 4 (5.3%)
Q3: too ugly / poorly designed
- 0 (0%)
Q3: too slow / bloated
- 0 (0%)
Q3: software compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: hardware compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: not innovative / cool enough
- 1 (1.3%)
Q3: bad, other
- 4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?  (Read 17557 times)

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »

I watch any region DVDs I want on Windows...inside Windows Media Player.  Or any other player for that matter.  It's called AnyDVD.  There are a plethora of other tools available as well, and it is incredibly easy.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »

I watch any region DVDs I want on Windows...inside Windows Media Player.  Or any other player for that matter.  It's called AnyDVD.  There are a plethora of other tools available as well, and it is incredibly easy.
Yeah I was gonna say I haven't had any problems with straight DVD rips I've downloaded that are from foreign regions, although I was guessing that it was possible that the claim was true and the regions were just eradicated in the rip even though they were ISOs.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »

Who watches DVD's nowadays anyway?  It takes less time to download a movie than to stop at Blockbuster!  Stop feeding Big Content!  Oh, shit, the Wikipedia article on Big Content was deleted.....  WIKIPEDIA IS BIG CONTENT TOO!!!

* Alex Libman 2012 runs around in circles, then grasps his chest and collapses.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2009, 12:40:40 AM »

AnyDVD does it on the fly and doesn't even require ripping.  For that matter, you can patch the firmware on your DVD drive and remove region code support from it.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »

...and the regions were just eradicated in the rip even though they were ISOs.

One of those wonderful insanities of the wanna-be monopolists. First, they create region codes to try to prevent cheaper selling prices in country A from taking away from over-priced sales in country B, with the excuse that it's to "fight piracy", then they put Region-0 (zero) in the spec which will play anywhere.

It's astounding the mental elasticity of the control freak. Maybe those who say desire for "power over others" is a mental disorder are right.

I'm glad to know that the non-Redmond programmers have been hard at work undermining the control freaks. Bully for them!
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

blackie

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »

I have a triple boot going with Windows XP pro, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 9.04 on an older desktop system.

It's a Shuttle XPC SB51G / 2GB RAM / All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV

Windows XP pro is fine. The video card has all of it's functionality, and support. It ran OK with 512 MB RAM.

Windows 7 only recognizes the video card as standard VGA. I can't find a working driver for Windows 7. I needed to grab an update from Microsoft to get the NetGear WN111v2 working. The windows experience or whatever is rated as 1 because of the video.

Ubuntu is still having intermittent issues with video, and I haven't gotten the WN111v2 working yet.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:24:46 AM by blackie »

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2009, 11:35:41 AM »

I'm glad to know that the non-Redmond programmers have been hard at work undermining the control freaks. Bully for them!

It should be noted that Microsoft would likely have been very happy to include built in DVD playback without needing to adhere to the DRM requirements.  Unfortunately, being as big as they are, the media companies would have sued them to the point where you wouldn't be able to play DVDs at all in Windows.

In other words, Microsoft could take out DRM tomorrow -- the problem is they'd have to also take out DVD playback completely.  Blame the media companies.  Microsoft, unlike people's favorite Linux distributions, doesn't have the luxury of ignoring either civil or criminal law.

Hell, as far as Europe is concerned, they're lucky Microsoft's allowed to include a CLOCK.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:37:22 AM by FKnight »
$signature not defined.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »

Getting slightly back on topic...I'm on Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) now.  It's nice:  much better than Vista...and XP ;)

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

I have to wonder at anyone who would say "Zero day" in reference to VISTA. Gee, it's been out for a while, folks.

As they say in the cop shows, "Be careful out there."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-340020.html?tag=nl.e589

"A security researcher has said there is a zero-day vulnerability affecting Windows 7 and Vista.

"The flaw in Windows 7 could allow an attack which would cause a critical system error, or "Blue Screen of Death", according to researcher Laurent Gaffie."
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

I have forgotten what a "Blue Screen of Death" looks like.  Haven't seen one in many years.

Kernel Oops on the other hand...  :lol:

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »

Zero day usually refers to the time between the publication (or semi-public disclosure) and patch or fix. It's not a measure of how long the bug has existed.

It's nice:  much better than Vista...and XP

Vista, on decent hardware and with SP1 or greater, is a decent OS. Much more stable than XP. Windows 7 blows Vista out of the water. I can't describe how hard it sucks to use XP after using 7.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

digitalfour

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »

Windows 7 is slick.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »

I'm upgrading finally to Windows 7 Professional.  w00t.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 52 queries.