Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

Poll

Q1: what MS OS do you run now?   Q2: did/will you try Windows 7 RC?  Q3: your opinion?

Q1: Windows 7 RC already
- 7 (9.3%)
Q1: Windows 7 beta
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Server 2008
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Vista
- 8 (10.7%)
Q1: Windows Server 2003
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows XP
- 9 (12%)
Q1: Windows 2000
- 0 (0%)
Q1: an older MS OS
- 1 (1.3%)
Q1: I touch nothing from Microsoft!
- 3 (4%)
Q2: tried it in beta
- 4 (5.3%)
Q2: tried it in RC
- 3 (4%)
Q2: will try RC soon
- 0 (0%)
Q2: will wait for final release
- 8 (10.7%)
Q2: will wait for SP1
- 3 (4%)
Q2: never!
- 6 (8%)
Q3: didn't try yet
- 11 (14.7%)
Q3: it was perfect
- 3 (4%)
Q3: it was OK, no complaints
- 4 (5.3%)
Q3: too ugly / poorly designed
- 0 (0%)
Q3: too slow / bloated
- 0 (0%)
Q3: software compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: hardware compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: not innovative / cool enough
- 1 (1.3%)
Q3: bad, other
- 4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?  (Read 17555 times)

BobRobertson

• View Profile
Re: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

if they eventually remove all vista support and upgrades and move to windows 7.  Then I guess Id have no choice.

Microsoft is a commercial company, with limited resources. There will come a time, just as with Win2K, WinME, Win98, Win95, MS-DOS, Word6, Word2, etc etc etc, that support will be dropped in favor of the newer product.

Apple doesn't support System-7 any more, no matter how much I enjoyed using it. Debian doesn't release security updates for version 4.0 of their OS, even though you can still get it in its entirety if you want it.

It only makes sense, and I don't hold it against them. Software is a moving target.

What I don't like is the impression of the "upgrade treadmill" by which Microsoft cashes in every time they "force" an upgrade.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »

Ooh, that's a lot of questions.

If I can find a way to install it from CD or from a USB stick I will. My computer's kind of finicky when it comes to installation DVDs.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »

I would upgrade to RC 7, but I doubt I'll have an extra 150 bucks laying around to do it.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

u dont need 150 bucks just a good internet connection

Cowcidile

• Cruel Tyrant Cason
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »

You guys should call into free talk live and have your linux vs. windows slap fight on the show! That would be the best show ever!

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »

You guys should call into free talk live and have your linux vs. windows slap fight on the show! That would be the best show ever!

There was Thursday, when a woman called in advocating Linux as being anti-Microsoft, and then there was the show on May 14th, for which I wrote a rebuttal:

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=29270.0

The problem that software is like trying to argue for your favorite car brand. What works for one person does not work for someone else. No matter how good my experience with Linux, for example, there are people whose experience is not as good or downright awful. And the same for Windows, Mac, whatever.

I recently read someone crowing about the dead-solid-reliability of the Commodore-64.

About the only real "freedom" argument is the freedom to choose. For the most part, we have that. My argument is that we have always had that, which makes the "monopoly" prosecution of Microsoft absurd.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »

actually if I were running a PowerPC system I'd install AmigaOS on my comp

which uh, probably brings up a whole host of problems with a lot of other things, but I think it's neat
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »

u dont need 150 bucks just a good internet connection
Pirating OS's is a lot less effective than pirating other software.

I realize its free for one year right now, but I don't want to get locked into it and then be forced to upgrade at a later date.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

I'd never install a rip of Windows.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »

I've used a "pirated" version of Windows XP for a while, because I didn't keep the original CD's and plus the "pirated" one came with the latest patches and drivers right on the setup disk.  (Could have been some trojans too, but after tens of thousands of downloads no one seemed to have found / reported any.)

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 01:43:09 AM »

Why not? I got vista that upgrades just fine and has no issues. Same with the xp i had before this. Plus they have modified versions as well to chose from. Whether you're looking for something with less junk you dont want or one loaded with everything you could need.

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 02:44:48 AM »

The endless hours of virus scanning, cleaning, reinstalling applications (which is going on as I type, oddly enough) to correct for Windows vulnerabilities, never seems to register to Windows defenders.

If you're spending endless hours scanning for viruses, I'm forced to wonder if you're not intentionally installing viruses just so you can scan for them.  I'm not saying you are, but doing regular scans for viruses, let alone countless hours, is simply not something that people do because even free virus scanners like AVG will intercept virus activity as it comes in.  I don't think I've ever performed a virus scan on my personal system and in the IT systems I've managed, I never performed a virus scan on any workstations or servers because they all had background processes which stop that kind of thing from happening.  I've never, ever had an infection.

The only reason to scan an entire system for a virus is if you're installing antivirus software after you think you've been infected, in which case you should just clean up and start over with antivirus installed first thing.  Regular virus scans aren't really something that has been done for over a decade, and even then they weren't "constant."  

As far as vulnerabilities go, I get a notification that updates are available, I click install (when I feel like it), it minimizes, and I continue with what I'm doing.  I don't even notice it.

Reinstalling applications?  I've never had to reinstall an application except when the application itself broke through either it's own internal update process or I've received instructions from the application vendor to do so for troubleshooting -- never anything to do with Windows.  The only time I ever go to the Add/Remove Programs applet (now Programs/Features in Vista) is when I don't want to ever use an application anymore and want to uninstall it.

When people say these things about Windows (constant virus scans, constant reinstalls of components to secure vulnerabilities, constantly reinstalling applications), I really have to wonder if they're not using some imitation OS brand that says "Whindose" or something, because these things simply don't happen -- or if they're still using Windows 98 and someone painted "XP" or "Vista" on the box without telling them.

Another major cause of constant reinstalls, constant virus scanning, and related activities is something people in the IT field call "voodoo troubleshooting" because the cause of an issue is not known and so assumptions are made (must be a virus, must be an update, etc.) -- especially since the entire tech support field (especially telephone support) has been filled with unqualified people who tell end-users to reinstall or virus scan for every problem under the sun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:49:31 AM by FKnight »
$signature not defined.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »

If you're spending endless hours scanning for viruses, I'm forced to wonder if you're not intentionally installing viruses just so you can scan for them.

Funny, but no. Just dealing with someone who will not stop using Internet Explorer on adware riddled Chinese web sites.

I'm very glad to hear you've had such a good experience. I haven't. Which, again, is something I fully accept without getting insulting and absurd.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »

Insults and absurdity are a proud tradition on this forum, you bicameral platypus-tongued git!

Bill Brasky

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »

Why not? I got vista that upgrades just fine and has no issues. Same with the xp i had before this. Plus they have modified versions as well to chose from. Whether you're looking for something with less junk you dont want or one loaded with everything you could need.

Computers are expensive.  I'm not gonna risk the problems.  I download lots of stuff, but I want to be absolutely certain the OS works properly.  I also don't want M$ security reporting back to the mothership with a bogus ID#.  Admittedly, I'm not savvy enough to know exactly what M does behind the curtain, and how to be sure I've restricted all Windows activity swapping data with its servers, when it reaches out for updates and so-forth. 

So, I have whats factory installed.  It'll work fine for several more years.  If I get a new machine, it'll have Seven on it.  If I have to do any serious fixin', from a major crash, I'll just go buy it.  Its not unaffordable, its just not cheap. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.