Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

Poll

Q1: what MS OS do you run now?   Q2: did/will you try Windows 7 RC?  Q3: your opinion?

Q1: Windows 7 RC already
- 7 (9.3%)
Q1: Windows 7 beta
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Server 2008
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Vista
- 8 (10.7%)
Q1: Windows Server 2003
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows XP
- 9 (12%)
Q1: Windows 2000
- 0 (0%)
Q1: an older MS OS
- 1 (1.3%)
Q1: I touch nothing from Microsoft!
- 3 (4%)
Q2: tried it in beta
- 4 (5.3%)
Q2: tried it in RC
- 3 (4%)
Q2: will try RC soon
- 0 (0%)
Q2: will wait for final release
- 8 (10.7%)
Q2: will wait for SP1
- 3 (4%)
Q2: never!
- 6 (8%)
Q3: didn't try yet
- 11 (14.7%)
Q3: it was perfect
- 3 (4%)
Q3: it was OK, no complaints
- 4 (5.3%)
Q3: too ugly / poorly designed
- 0 (0%)
Q3: too slow / bloated
- 0 (0%)
Q3: software compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: hardware compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: not innovative / cool enough
- 1 (1.3%)
Q3: bad, other
- 4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?  (Read 17561 times)

Libertarianssuck

Re: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 01:43:21 PM »

Not my experience. I had waaaay too many problems with linux regarding not having the drivers for the latest hardware I purchase to upgrade. Plenty of difficulties getting other things running or installed properly considering I'm transitions from a windows environment to linux everything is completely different. Where as I dont remember the last time I used a virus scanner or even had to reinstall a windows app. I think if you know what ur doing then you dont have a problem with viruses. I'm a huge torrent user as well.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »

I think if you know what ur doing then you dont have a problem with viruses.

In volley, I think if you know what you are doing, Linux is as stable as a rock.

So really, it does prove again that no one answer works for everyone. Capitalism at its finest, giving everyone what they want.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »

Yea the biggest problem I have with linux is gaming. Luckily I have a couple of crappy laptops I dont use for gaming and linux does wonders on them.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »

Luckily I have a couple of ... laptops I dont use for gaming and linux does wonders on them.

Was the earlier comment true, that Win7 requires video cards with 128MB of RAM? Is that just to run, or to get some gnarly effects?

I say that because this 64MB video card does everything I want it to do, and I cannot imagine what the OS could possibly do with 128MB. A super-special application, sure, but the OS? Insane.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Libertarianssuck

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 02:02:38 PM »

* 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
    * 1 GB of RAM (32-bit); 2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
    * 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit); 20 GB of avaiable disk space (64-bit)
    * Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)

My main gaming comp I have a gig on my video card so not an issue for me

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »

Was the earlier comment true, that Win7 requires video cards with 128MB of RAM? Is that just to run, or to get some gnarly effects?

I think that's the run the composite effects of Aero. I've run Windows 7 in a virtual machine with 16MB of video RAM. It works.

Once Linux is installed, it just works.

I'm a Linux fanboy. When this is true, it's true. When this is wrong, it's way... the fuck.. wrong.

The important thing, no matter what OS you run, is that your OS is designed for you needs and your hardware. Built a system designed for Linux and drop XP on it. You'll spend hours fucking with network drivers, video drivers and sound drivers. Pop in Ubuntu and boom, you're online, running image editing software, watching movies with three clicks and prospering.

The opposite is true. I bought a laptop without really paying attention to the hardware because... well... Linux is flawless. I can get either wifi OR 3D acceleration but not both. Since my laptop is part of a wireless network and replaces my TV, that one or the other shit isn't cutting it. Even on the best of distros, I've got a better-than-average printer. It's wide format both in printing and in high-res scanning. It's wireless. Holy damn, can't use it with Linux! CUPS makes a driver for models in the same series, but not my specific model, and the other close-enough drivers don't work. As for scanning, fugeddahbout it. Last I checked, SANE wasn't even able to PROBE for scanners that aren't physically attached to the machine.

The Xerox Phaser solid ink printers at work? Nope. Linux did, at one point, back in KDE 3.5 if the stars were aligned properly. For some reason, it broke and never quite started working again. I stopped reporting bugs after a year of that.

I'm still more productive on Linux because I know it better, and I do like it better, but being unrealistic is a very good way of having people disappointed and going on anti-Linux rampages. :P
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »

I like how people refuse to take into account how much their time is worth when they complain about the price of Windows. Hours and hours and hours of trying to get linux to work right never seems to register...

Strange how my experience has been the exact opposite.

The endless hours of virus scanning, cleaning, reinstalling applications (which is going on as I type, oddly enough) to correct for Windows vulnerabilities, never seems to register to Windows defenders.

What endless hours? 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 01:32:18 AM »

I like how people refuse to take into account how much their time is worth when they complain about the price of Windows. Hours and hours and hours of trying to get linux to work right never seems to register...

Strange how my experience has been the exact opposite.

The endless hours of virus scanning, cleaning, reinstalling applications (which is going on as I type, oddly enough) to correct for Windows vulnerabilities, never seems to register to Windows defenders.

What endless hours? 

Yeah, I don't know.  Never happened to me.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 04:30:18 AM »

I didn't know that I was missing out on any visual effects with 64 MB video RAM here, everything looks great compared to XP.

Messing with Linux is a fun educational experience (including bootstrapping it from scratch), but when you want to get stuff done on a desktop -- you know, like a big boy with a job or a business to run -- Windows is king.

If it takes you "endless hours" to do something on Windows, then -- sorry to break it to ya -- you just ain't doing it right.  The most annoying thing about Windows is lack of simple built-in centralized package management (ex. `win-get install sua silverlight3-sdk dotnet-4beta iron\*`), but that's mostly an issue of lawyers, not programmers...  And you don't really need any anti-virus / anti-spyware if you know what you're doing.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »

We're going to migrate to Windows 7 at work starting in October.  I probably won't upgrade my home machines before next year (if then), in part because I'll be using all of my available money to furnish my new condo and Vista will continue to work just like it has been working.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »

If they have nView for nVidia graphics cards, I will move to Windows 7.  I actually only bought an nVidia card because long long ago, when I had one, I witnessed first hand how superior nView is compared to ATI's Catalyst Control Panel.

However, nView is not available for Vista and even though, I still won't go back to XP because I want to make use of Direct X 10.  So I am damned if i do, and damned if I dont.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 12:54:18 AM »

We're going to migrate to Windows 7 at work starting in October.  I probably won't upgrade my home machines before next year (if then), in part because I'll be using all of my available money to furnish my new condo and Vista will continue to work just like it has been working.

If you're doing everything right, it should only take a couple hours to add a Windows 7 partition, which you can delete in the spring when it begins to expire - or crack it.  ;)

The general "best practices" are:

• (1)  Organization.  Use separate partitions for OS(es) and Data.  Keep your OS partition as small as possible: temp files, swap-file, personal / work files, downloads, multimedia, e-books, VM images, web proxy cache, etc should all go somewhere else.  There are some large software components that are easily shared between OS'es (i.e. cygwin, most Java apps, some portable apps, MSDN and other docs, etc) that could go on a Data drive as well - this is particularly useful if you have more than one MS OS, but there's no point to doing it if you never switch OS'es.

Under UNIX, your home folder should just contain links to your data drive, and things like /var/www can be a link there as well.  The same applies to the retarded Windows "Libraries" / "My Documents" hierarchy that one always has to fight his way out of - I have to keep "My Documents" because Visual Studio and Expression insist on storing their settings there, but I just hide those out of view and place Data drive shortcuts there instead.  I delete the blank "My Music" / "My Pictures" / "My Videos" whenever some Windows program creates them, and configure all my programs to use the appropriate places on the data drives instead.  Some default data folders on your OS drive. (i.e. "Contacts", "Searches", "Saved Games") are usually small enough to ignore.

You can hide the OS partitions you're not currently booted into for security reasons, and to accelerate any full anti-virus scans.  You can also open one OS from another (on this computer or another) via VMware.  There are some tricks on getting programs installed under different OS'es (i.e. Miro under Windows vs Linux vs MacOS X, uTorrent vs KTorrent vs Vuze, etc) to seamlessly share each-other's data directory.  Browser settings can be synchronized through something like XMarks.  Etc.

• (2)  Backup.  Your OS partition(s) can be backed up using something like Norton Ghost, which takes full or differential snapshots that can be offloaded to another computer on your network automatically, or burned to DVD's.

Your Data partition(s) can be segmented into different backup plans.  I like to divide mine into several root folders: "private" (documents, work stuff, personal coding / web / writing projects, etc), "public" (stuff from P2P / podcasts that I can always download again), "software" (ex. cygwin, see above), and "temp" (stuff I don't care about preserving).  For example, your "private" folder can be shared / synchronized between multiple computers you own, while your "shared" folder can be made accessible by anyone via P2P.  For example, I have my torrent program save unfinished files under "temp", and then move finished downloads to "shared" - this prevents many unfinished versions of the same file from showing up on eDonkey and similar networks.

• (3)  Make system administration steps repeatable.  In spite of your foolproof partition backup plan, you should still plan for the need to install a new OS quickly from scratch, or at least to update a much older partition backup and bring it up to speed.

Save the latest version of all the programs you download so you could reinstall them quickly.  Download full versions of programs instead of them 500KB installers that download the rest for you.  Download things like OS service packs instead of getting them through Windows Update, which makes the step slower if you have to reinstall the OS from scratch.  If you have a file server on your network with diskspace to burn, copying there all those little Microsoft / driver CD's you'd need to (re)install there could save you a lot of time.

And burning the latest release CD / DVD of your Linux distro is a good idea even if you were able to upgrade to it on the fly.  Some package managers (i.e. yum, apt, portage) make it easy to save packages on your local network for reuse.  This is especially valuable under Gentoo Linux, which encourages you to compile everything from scratch, but can then create binary install packages of what you've compiled.

Saving your settings is much easier on Linux, because almost everything you need is in your home folder (or /etc, and so on), but there are some utilities that make backing up and restoring Windows settings somewhat easier as well.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 03:24:43 AM »

If they have nView for nVidia graphics cards, I will move to Windows 7.  I actually only bought an nVidia card because long long ago, when I had one, I witnessed first hand how superior nView is compared to ATI's Catalyst Control Panel.

However, nView is not available for Vista and even though, I still won't go back to XP because I want to make use of Direct X 10.  So I am damned if i do, and damned if I dont.
nVidia has been laggin hardcore these last coupla years.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 12:16:08 PM »

the only reason I might go to windows 7 is, if they eventually remove all vista support and upgrades and move to windows 7.  Then I guess Id have no choice.  Otherwise, as long as there is support for Vista, I have no reason to switch.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »

I'm not sure if I'll use this or not.  Like all things Windows I'm having problems.  It took me forever to log in for the privilege of downloading Win7 and for the past half hour I've been staring at nice little green dots chasing themselves around in circles.  Microsoft just pisses me off. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 51 queries.