Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

Poll

Q1: what MS OS do you run now?   Q2: did/will you try Windows 7 RC?  Q3: your opinion?

Q1: Windows 7 RC already
- 7 (9.3%)
Q1: Windows 7 beta
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Server 2008
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows Vista
- 8 (10.7%)
Q1: Windows Server 2003
- 0 (0%)
Q1: Windows XP
- 9 (12%)
Q1: Windows 2000
- 0 (0%)
Q1: an older MS OS
- 1 (1.3%)
Q1: I touch nothing from Microsoft!
- 3 (4%)
Q2: tried it in beta
- 4 (5.3%)
Q2: tried it in RC
- 3 (4%)
Q2: will try RC soon
- 0 (0%)
Q2: will wait for final release
- 8 (10.7%)
Q2: will wait for SP1
- 3 (4%)
Q2: never!
- 6 (8%)
Q3: didn't try yet
- 11 (14.7%)
Q3: it was perfect
- 3 (4%)
Q3: it was OK, no complaints
- 4 (5.3%)
Q3: too ugly / poorly designed
- 0 (0%)
Q3: too slow / bloated
- 0 (0%)
Q3: software compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: hardware compatibility issues
- 0 (0%)
Q3: not innovative / cool enough
- 1 (1.3%)
Q3: bad, other
- 4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?  (Read 17554 times)

Alex Libman 14

Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »

I've skipped Vista (mostly because I was going through a Linux phase), but Windows 7 release candidate seems as fast as XP and much nicer.  It can be downloaded for free for a lengthy trial - it will start restarting every two hours on March 1st (230 days from today) before expiring completely on June 1st (322 days) - more than enough time to find a crack, switch to a Google OS beta, or whatever else you may decide to do.

My experience with it has been very positive, and some apps run even faster / better than on XP.  All Vista drivers work perfectly.  The only annoyance I had with it was Tera Term cyglaunch opening needless console windows, but that was easy enough to fix.

It looks like Microsoft is starting to get things right.  What do y'all think?

BonerJoe

Re: Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »

I'm using it.

blackie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

I haven't tried it yet. Still on XP.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »

XP is still somewhat independent of Microsoft micromanagement.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »

I've been wanting to try it out, but on the whole I've been too busy and too lazy to back up all of my files and partition my hard drive so I can dual boot.  Also I'm a little paranoid of the whole process. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »

Windows XP sucks ass. Sorry to all ye who like it.

XP was my trigger to leave for LInux. When Vista hit, I didn't like it because of the bloat. After SP1, and after hardware moved out of the single-core age, Vista became usable, and even enjoyable.

When the Windows 7 Betas came out, I downloaded them. I'm alternating between Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 RC on my laptop at home right now. I actually went to buy an upgrade license last night, but the $49 promotion ended and it's now costing $119. Fifty bucks for Windows 7 is in my price range, $119 is not.

Compared to Vista SP1, I like Windows 7 much better, but there are still some software issues that have yet to be resolved (big on for me, VirtualBox fails to pass USB Devices property to guess systems) but hardware is great.

The Windows 7 Client is awesome. WIndows FINALLY manages updates and upgrades of third-party drivers; that makes me happy.
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

BonerJoe

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »

I like how people refuse to take into account how much their time is worth when they complain about the price of Windows. Hours and hours and hours of trying to get linux to work right never seems to register...

blackie

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »

I will try Windows 7 when I get new hardware. The 128 MB video card requirement makes it a no-go for most of my hardware.

Alex Libman 14

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:10:29 PM »

I only have 64 MB dedicated memory on this 3.5-year-old laptop, and Win7 runs fine for me.

Graphics is my lowest score (under Windows Experience Index) with 2.0, the 3.5 for processor (performance capped to prevent overheating), 3.5 for gaming graphics, 4.2 for RAM (2 GB system), 4.3 for disk data transfer rate.

Russell Griswold

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

I will try Windows 7 when I get new hardware. The 128 MB video card requirement makes it a no-go for most of my hardware.

How old is your shit, man?  :shock:

blackie

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »

How old is your shit, man?  :shock:
I've got two desktops systems that are about 5 years old, and a laptop that is about 4 years old.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »

Windows XP sucks ass. Sorry to all ye who like it.

XP was my trigger to leave for LInux. When Vista hit, I didn't like it because of the bloat. After SP1, and after hardware moved out of the single-core age, Vista became usable, and even enjoyable.

When the Windows 7 Betas came out, I downloaded them. I'm alternating between Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 RC on my laptop at home right now. I actually went to buy an upgrade license last night, but the $49 promotion ended and it's now costing $119. Fifty bucks for Windows 7 is in my price range, $119 is not.

Compared to Vista SP1, I like Windows 7 much better, but there are still some software issues that have yet to be resolved (big on for me, VirtualBox fails to pass USB Devices property to guess systems) but hardware is great.

The Windows 7 Client is awesome. WIndows FINALLY manages updates and upgrades of third-party drivers; that makes me happy.

Well fuck!  You're right.  I had seen it on Amazon for $49 too.  Damn...I was planning to get it.  I'm with you.  $119 is not happening. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:12:47 AM »

XP until it gives up the ghost mostly because I can't upgrade some software which is very cost prohibitive to replace.  It isn't just the OS that is expensive it is software for graphics applications and video production.  I can't afford an extra expense of upgrading.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

I like how people refuse to take into account how much their time is worth when they complain about the price of Windows. Hours and hours and hours of trying to get linux to work right never seems to register...

Strange how my experience has been the exact opposite.

The endless hours of virus scanning, cleaning, reinstalling applications (which is going on as I type, oddly enough) to correct for Windows vulnerabilities, never seems to register to Windows defenders.

Once Linux is installed, it just works.
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

BonerJoe

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »

Strange how my experience has been the exact opposite.

The endless hours of virus scanning, cleaning, reinstalling applications (which is going on as I type, oddly enough) to correct for Windows vulnerabilities, never seems to register to Windows defenders.

Once Linux is installed, it just works.

I disagree.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Any Windows users NOT switching to 7 RC?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 52 queries.