Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  America's Most Admired Companies

Poll

Which ones do YOU admire the most?  (Or dislike the least...)

Apple
- 9 (7.9%)
Berkshire Hathaway
- 6 (5.3%)
General Electric
- 1 (0.9%)
Google
- 22 (19.3%)
Toyota Motor
- 6 (5.3%)
Starbucks
- 7 (6.1%)
FedEx
- 17 (14.9%)
Procter & Gamble
- 2 (1.8%)
Johnson & Johnson
- 4 (3.5%)
Goldman Sachs Group
- 0 (0%)
Target
- 8 (7%)
Southwest Airlines
- 3 (2.6%)
American Express
- 0 (0%)
BMW
- 2 (1.8%)
Costco Wholesale
- 7 (6.1%)
Microsoft
- 10 (8.8%)
United Parcel Service
- 5 (4.4%)
Cisco Systems
- 0 (0%)
3M
- 5 (4.4%)
Nordstrom
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: America's Most Admired Companies  (Read 7314 times)

Alex Libman

America's Most Admired Companies
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »

The companies in the poll are listed in order from the 2008 "America's Most Admired Companies" list published by Fortune Magazine on Feb 29th.  Additions since the 2007 list are BMW, Cisco, and 3M.  Gone are Amazon.com, PepsiCo, and Wal-Mart.

Post which one you picked as a consumer (or investor) and why.  I'm down on the Silicon Valley right now, so I went with Berkshire Hathaway, FedEx, and UPS.  The first because I still respect the hell out of Warren Buffett - no company is innocent of political entanglements, and compared to others he represents long-term vision, value-driven analysis, and personal frugality.  And the two shipping companies because they're competing with the federal government, and they're a much bigger part of the Internet economy than most people realize.  Google wouldn't get much ad revenue if online shopping was hampered by Soviet-quality package delivery...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:32:46 AM by Alex Libman »

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: America's Most Admired Companies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »

Google, Target and Federal Express for me. All companies I've had great experiences with.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »

I chose Google, FedEx, and Microsoft, though many of those companies are worthy of admiration.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »

GOOG has gone from $740 last November down to under $450 today.
I'm sorry, destroying nearly half of shareholder value is not an admirable thing, no matter how you sliceit.

jimmed

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »

I'm sorry, destroying nearly half of shareholder value is not an admirable thing, no matter how you sliceit.

Huh? The whole stock market is a scam. Nobody gives a shit about ethics.

Hologene Relapse

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »

Google for their decent development environment.
UPS for decent tracking of packages.
FedEx for more locations than UPS or USPS for pick-up and drop-off.

-- Brede

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »

No Sakal/CAI on the list?

trollfreezone

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »

I chose Apple, FedEx and Costco because they get so much right and so little wrong.  They understand customer service better than their competitors, and they seem to understand what their customers value.

I appreciate the product integration in Apple's product line and the product quality compared particularly to M$.  I liked FedEx's efforts to revolutionize the shipping business and their commitment to getting packages where they're going on time, and if something should happen to go wrong, they'll get someone on the horn to tell me exactly what did go wrong, where the package is, and when the package will get where it's going.  Costco has great prices on great brands, and offers pretty-much unparalleled customer service.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »

No Sakal/CAI on the list?

RTFA!

The companies in the poll are listed in order from the 2008 "America's Most Admired Companies" list published by Fortune Magazine on Feb 29th.

You just need Sakal to get on Fortune's radar...

jimmed

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »

You just need Sakal to get on Fortune's radar...

Then FTL will be renamed "Sakal/CAI Freedom Radio".

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:38:19 AM »

What about Wal Mart? I love those guys.

I also love oil companies, pharmaceuticals, Microsoft, and anybody else that can still make a profit and satisfy customers while governments around the world treat them like a scourge.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I have an almost knee-jerk response to the opinions of 'environmentalists' and other leftists. To illustrate this problem of mine, I once had a friend ask me how I was voting on some issue and I told him that I always vote the opposite of the teachers unions. I've kept a careful tally since then and I don't believe I have ever shared a vote with them.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

Many of the companies on the list make great product and/or provide fantastic services, but have made two or more bad decisions for every great one. (Apple, anyone?)

Anyway:

FedEx - for all the reasons listed by others. UPS deserves mention, too. FedEx started the overnight delivery, and has moved to include ground shipping. UPS just built from the opposite direction. UPS might even rank higher for me than FedEx. UPS didn't partner with the government agency which restricted it's market from the beginning.

Starbucks - Marketing genius! Constantly adapting to keep up with customer needs/wants and to stay ahead of the competition.

Johnson & Johnson - Longevity and stability. Not great by itself, but they always make money. Their products are in demand in both good and bad economic times, their customers and investors are happy, and I can't recall any big scandals about them. P&G is pretty good too, but I'm partial to J&J - especially as I'm wearing several bandaids at the moment.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »

UPS didn't partner with the government agency which restricted it's market from the beginning.

I was not aware of that. Hmmmm. As far as oil companies, I had forgotten about them, I do have an admiration for some things about them. The problem with a lot of big businesses is the same as a lot of other sized businesses, they go crying and/or begging to the government to get their way or a hand-out. I can't stand individuals doing that, same as groups of individuals. Doesn't matter if they're for or non profits.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:17:59 AM by Porcupine_in_NH »

Alex Libman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »

Johnson & Johnson - Longevity and stability. Not great by itself, but they always make money. Their products are in demand in both good and bad economic times, their customers and investors are happy, and I can't recall any big scandals about them. P&G is pretty good too, but I'm partial to J&J - especially as I'm wearing several bandaids at the moment.

Yeah, J&J is nice, would have been my #4.  I actually interviewed for a programming job at their WHQ when I was living in North Brunswick, NJ.  (I didn't get it, but I'm sure I have a better reason than sour grapes for not picking it in my top three...  Or do I?)  The RWJ foundation is the 7th biggest in the world, and the largest charitable foundation in U.S. devoted entirely to medicine.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »

UPS didn't partner with the government agency which restricted it's market from the beginning.

I was not aware of that. Hmmmm. As far as oil companies, I had forgotten about them, I do have an admiration for some things about them. The problem with a lot of big businesses is the same as a lot of other sized businesses, they go crying and/or begging to the government to get their way or a hand-out. I can't stand individuals doing that, same as groups of individuals. Doesn't matter if they're for or non profits.

FedEx has a partnership of some sort with the USPS. Don't remember what it is, but it's something.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  America's Most Admired Companies

// ]]>

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 38 queries.