Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Am I A "Thumper"?

Poll

Am I A "Thumper"?

Yes
- 5 (45.5%)
No
- 2 (18.2%)
WTF?
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I A "Thumper"?  (Read 2171 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Am I A "Thumper"?
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:33:07 PM »

Do you consider me a bible "thumper"?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Jetfire

Re: Am I A "Thumper"?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »

whats that?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:28:38 AM »

I don't see you as a thumper. I think it's more like you're chained to it.

While that may sound like an attack, what I mean s that it seems like a burden to you. And like many religious folk, you're trying to make sense of something that just doesn't make sense and aren't quite ready to give in to the ever present doubt.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

BonerJoe

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »

While that may sound like an attack, what I mean s that it seems like a burden to you. And like many religious folk, you're trying to make sense of something that just doesn't make sense and aren't quite ready to give in to the ever present doubt.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:12:50 AM »

it seems like a burden to you. And like many religious folk, you're trying to make sense of something that just doesn't make sense and aren't quite ready to give in to the ever present doubt.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:31:12 AM »

Nah, you're not a bible thumper.  You're not preaching to anybody, and I think I would know the best of many people as I am a reform Jew and if anyone were to be "bible thumped" by you it would be me.  And that has definitely not happened.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »

I don't see you as a thumper. I think it's more like you're chained to it.

What makes you think I see it as a burden? I chose this way of life as an adult.
Ever-present doubt? I think you're projecting what you what you want me to think.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »

What makes you think I see it as a burden? I chose this way of life as an adult.

For many people, at some point it isn't enough to have religion simply be a form of belief. It becomes an obsession. Studied, argued over, etc.- it is the motivating factor for life itself. That to me seems like a burden. Does it matter that you've asked the board whether or not you've taken your religion to the extreme of "thumping"? If the consensus was "yes", would you have considered cutting it back a bit? Considering the answer is a "no", will you be tempted to try harder, or are you relieved to know you aren't coming off as such?

Ever-present doubt? I think you're projecting what you what you want me to think.

A believer with no doubt might be more blind than the non-believer.

Regardless of what I think though, you have very right to do as you see fit with your life. You'd asked a question and I'm just putting some feedback out there.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Am I A "Thumper"?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 38 queries.