Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Adoption vs Conception

Poll

?

Brining a kid into the world and into a loving family is always a good thing
- 8 (34.8%)
Having a kid when there are millions of parentless kids alive already is just fucking selfish
- 3 (13%)
Other
- 12 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adoption vs Conception  (Read 3700 times)

DogOn

Adoption vs Conception
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:18:16 AM »

Simple poll really.

I think its really fucking stupid to actually have a kid when there are plenty of parentless kids about. If you're having a kid because you think it'll be cool or its "the most important thing you can do in your life", or because you want a mini version of yourself then i suggest that you're having a kid for the wrong reasons. It should be about caring for another human being,helping that person learn and develop and providing them with support and protection.

I'm not going to make out like having a kid is the worst thing in the world though. I put an extra 2 inches onto my last widescreen monitor instead of sending the money to the Red Cross or World food programme or any other charity that could have saved a dozen or so lives with my money, I'm not going to say you're evil if you have a kid instead of adopting, i just think its better to adopt, but I'm selfish all the time so I can't really say anything. I'd be tempted to get a vasectomy if I didn't think medical technology would come up with a better way than jabbing a scalpel into my ball sack and tying my cords, plus theres alot of reports of chronic pain, but who knows what the future will bring

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption vs Conception
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:23:37 AM »

It's more a matter of personal choice. While I feel sorry for the poor kids in the world, I am not obligated to adopt them, and we recently had a wonderful little girl... our choice.
Not yours, and not the government's... though we had a hell of a time fending off social workers at the hospitals, offering us a monthly check in exchange for putting her in the system.

We looked at adoption, and we may do it one of these days. Once again, because it's *our* choice. We will not adopt from a government agency, however. They've no business inspecting our home and judging our lifestyle.

...not that they'll ever agree...
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »

If I ever wanted kids, I'd adopt. I don't think other people should have to though, nor do I see anything wrong with being selfish, as everyone is. The current system makes the adoption process difficult as I understand it, and that's unfortunate.
Julia

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:31:09 AM »

While, interestingly enough, the government foster 'care' system seems to be pretty well infested with garbage.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »

I'm selfish in a lot of ways.  But I think I'd rather adopt...and there's even a selfish side to that personal choice.  I don't want to actually physically give birth.  That kind of pain just does not appeal to me at all. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

DogOn

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »

It's more a matter of personal choice. While I feel sorry for the poor kids in the world, I am not obligated to adopt them, and we recently had a wonderful little girl... our choice.
Not yours, and not the government's... though we had a hell of a time fending off social workers at the hospitals, offering us a monthly check in exchange for putting her in the system.

We looked at adoption, and we may do it one of these days. Once again, because it's *our* choice. We will not adopt from a government agency, however. They've no business inspecting our home and judging our lifestyle.

...not that they'll ever agree...

Hey, i'm not suggesting government mandated adoption or anything, I think there are far worse things to do than have kid. If I had a kid, i would adopt, but it would still be because its what i want, so you can't really get away from selfishness. I think alot of people would have better lives if they just aborted when they had an accident and weren't ready/willing to raise a kid. I guess my point is that most of what people value in having a kid is just some expected norm combined with some sort of immortality complex, and less actually wanting to raise a kid. The whole notion that somehow if a kid isn't related to you it doesnt "feel right" and you can't love it the same just seems noxious to me.

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 12:14:55 PM »

I'd rather adopt if I could ever get over my aversion to children.  I'm like Lindsey about the pain of birth, but I also have some medical problems that complicate that fear of pain further. I'd rather adopt than risk my life in labor.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »

I'd rather adopt if I could ever get over my aversion to children.  I'm like Lindsey about the pain of birth, but I also have some medical problems that complicate that fear of pain further. I'd rather adopt than risk my life in labor.

There was a point not too long ago where I re-thought my fears and dislikes about giving birth.  And right as that happened, I learned some new things about the state of my reproductive organs, and I'm left wondering if I even could successfully carry one to term and give birth to it without dying in the process. 

[Aside]  Ew, ow.  Reproductive organs SUCK. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Elitist Bitch

• The 12th Cylon
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »

Hear hear.
Sometimes, you have to roll a hard six.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »

There was a point not too long ago where I re-thought my fears and dislikes about giving birth.  And right as that happened, I learned some new things about the state of my reproductive organs, and I'm left wondering if I even could successfully carry one to term and give birth to it without dying in the process. 

We found out the hard way, Mrs Velo came down with HELPP syndrome at 29 weeks, and we had to deliver immediately. 3 months early, 2-1/2 lbs, spent weeks in NICU, while the wife was touch and go for a couple weeks, as well.
Not knowing our baby, I'd probably choose adoption, but I don't love Zoe any less either way.

Thank the Spaghetti Monster they're both ok now. ;)
-Ayn Rand

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »

Both have their good points.  Its a little unfair to suggest someone who indulges in her biological function is selfish.  Some people feel a need to have a kid, and adoption wont satisfy that urge. 

Problem is, for every happy couple out there that has their shit together and will do it the "right way" whatever that is, theres an equal amount of people who fuck it up pretty badly. 

...And as Velo said, theres some standards that must be passed to be considered worthy of adoption, and not everyone can meet those requirements.  Even if it's a private deal, the birth parents often want some compensation and can then turn around and screw you, so it's probably harder than it sounds to make it through the obstacle course of the adoption process. 

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »

What is it with these polls with two options that cover the two extremes of an issue and then an "other" category for everything in the middle?
* freeAgent sighs

I don't think there's anything wrong with having your own child or children, but I think that it's also good to adopt children.

blackshard

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »

What is it with these polls with two options that cover the two extremes of an issue and then an "other" category for everything in the middle?
* freeAgent sighs

I don't think there's anything wrong with having your own child or children, but I think that it's also good to adopt children.

i agree. i think the two extremes is the general ancap absolutist view of everything.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

* freeAgent sighs

i agree. i think the two extremes is the general ancap absolutist view of everything.
Was that a thinly veiled attack on anarchism or am I just being paranoid?

Both are fine. I'd rather have my own kids though.

jckeyser

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »

* freeAgent sighs

Was that a thinly veiled attack on anarchism or am I just being paranoid?

Both are fine. I'd rather have my own kids though.

I dont think it was so thinly veiled. He lets P.J. O Rourke teach him economics. He can't know too terribly much.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Adoption vs Conception

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.