Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.  (Read 8094 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »

John, on that diet, you gotta fucking blow it once a week and eat whatever the fuck you want.  It won't have a negative effect!

I know someone who does that and it's working out great for him. He's lost quite a bit and seems to feel great.

I'm hesitant to give advice because I think as you've pointed out, that hasn't been helpful for you and everyone's different. But I will say this. What you're doing doesn't sound like paleo. It sounds keto/Atkins. Paleo is not particularly carb-limiting though it tends to be way less than average (like I'm in the 100-150 range) but keto is under 20 which is hardcore. Bear in mind I was never obese but just a little chubby, but for me there was little difference in terms of the health benefits including weight management between staying under 20 and under 150. You have to see what works for you.

It MIGHT not be that the twinky has carbs but that it has gluten or something else in the twinky that's fucking you up. I still have a candy bar now and then as long as it doesn't have gluten. It's only about 20g of sugar. Not that hard to do and still be well within my limits and well under what the average person gets who eats wheat, rice, and potatoes all the time. Those things turn into sugar immediately anyway so there's not a big difference between eating a candy bar and eating a couple slices of whole wheat bread. They have pretty close to the same glycemic index.

For me the candy bar does nothing noticeable while the bread will fuck me up. I'll get a headache, allergy symptoms will amplify, and I'll get lethargic and inattentive and desperately want to nap for about 3 hours.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:47:30 PM by Dalebert »

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »

I agree with the cheat once a week advice, but I would suggest isolating gluten at some point to see if it's particularly problematic for you as it is for a lot of people. If so, then just don't cheat with that. Pick other carby foods to cheat with once a week.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »

I love the crepes my wife makes - manicotti...yum yum..

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »

But I will say this. What you're doing doesn't sound like paleo. It sounds keto/Atkins. Paleo is not particularly carb-limiting though it tends to be way less than average (like I'm in the 100-150 range) but keto is under 20 which is hardcore.

56–65% of food energy from animal foods
36–45% from plant foods.
High in protein (19–35% energy)
Relatively low in carbohydrates (22–40% energy)
Fat intake (28–58% energy)
No legumes, no grains of any kind, barely any dairy. (We use ghee and heavy cream but stick to almond milk mostly. We bought some really good cheese the other day, 20 month cheddar.)

This is what I do or stick close to. It's paleo by definition. I have on a few occasions had days where I forget to eat enough fruit or veggies and I definitely feel shitty(er) as a result. Comes from being lazy and grabbing a meat stick or something to hold me over rather than putting together a meal. Next thing I know it's dinner time (Which is always balanced because I'm cooking for two and I have an obsession with making sure Mel enjoys the food I cook for her.)

Also, I make home made paleo chocolate that we keep around all the time if I get a sweet tooth.

1.5 cup Coconut oil.
1 pound 100% cocoa solids (Whole foods)
1 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
18 packets of Stevia extract
(EDIT) - Vanilla extract

Melt all that shit up on low heat and pour it into a cookie sheet and throw it into the freezer. In a couple hours it'll pop right out of the sheet. Break that shit up and eat it.

It gets melty at around 75 degrees because it uses coconut oil rather than cocoa so it's a lil' messier than regular chocolate, but we keep it in the fridge/freezer and it's yummy as fuck. You can heat up some almond milk and make hot chocolate which works great, and I've busted some up and used 50/50 almond/flax meal and made chocolate chip cookies that were pretty badass.

I've got a source for raw almonds at $3.69 a pound so almond flour gets some serious love. I also bought a hand mill to grind that shit up yo.

Almond flour - 11 or 12 bux a pound

vs.

Raw Almonds from Randazzo's - 3.69 a pound + Cranking a mill while watching a dvd = WIN

BTW- Anyone wants cheap almonds lemme know and I can hook you up. That price is un fucking believable and I can get that shit by the palette if need be.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:02:46 PM by John Shaw »
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »

thanks for the recipie - imma try it

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

thanks for the recipie - imma try it

It tastes exactly like dark chocolate. It's a little less dense for its volume, because of the lighter oil base, but otherwise it's awesome.

Special note, we tried making it with Hershey's cocoa powder, and it was as pasty and bitter as fuck. You gotta get the blocks of 100% cocoa from whole foods.

Looking for block of cocoa... - Callebaut is the brand. It's a big hunk that is broken at the edges and wrapped in plastic wrap.

Callebaut unsweetened 100% cocoa solids.

Shit is fine. About ten bux a pound.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »

Maybe you have a mild allergy to one of the paleo things. I found I had to ease up on the different nuts. I ate more eggs and salad instead and all the problems went away. Goddamn boring diet though. Another thing I do is forget about it in parties and get togethers. Quit the diet during the Christmas season and didn't gain a once.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »

Goddamn boring diet though.

You haven't tried the rice diet, have you?

In comparison paleo is fookin heaven.

Also get a deep fryer. Helps a lot. I be frying radishes and yams and okra and turnips and daikons and peppers and once even spinach (Was a lil too oily) and all sorts of shit. Beef tallow + deep fryer = awesome. But get a good one with a filter and a drain awn it. I have a deep hatred for oil and grease getting on my skin and have to be really careful about cleaning shit up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:07:22 PM by John Shaw »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.