Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.  (Read 8095 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »

Ever do that? How do you reconnect?

Just pretend nothing happened? Let everyone know and apologize?

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:32 AM »

Fuck 'em.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:26:43 AM »

I dunno...just don't seem to have been myself lately..

I hesitate to articulate for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »

I don't do that, so I have no advice.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »

I do that sometimes. Dont sweat it.

People that know you should understand that this happens sometimes.

People that dont know you will soon figure this out.

No need to apologize.

Just stretch your arms over your head, give a good hearty yawn and say, "So, whats for breakfast?"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:26:13 AM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:15 PM »

I'm kinda like that sometimes. My friends know I am not a very needy friend. We can hang out frequently, but I'd rather just see them every month or so. I've tried having friends who I've hung out with every single day all day long, and eventually I just shut myself away and go off the radar. I get burned out from that shit. Thats why internet people are nice, I can come and go as I please without any issues.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

I do this on purpose, sometimes I need to be invisible. If people actually care and throw a fit about it, they don't give a shit about my mental health.
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »

Just act like it's nobody's fucking business.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »

It's really not anybody's business, especially if you just needed some extra time for your own thoughts.

If you stormed off in a huff and slammed doors in the faces of a few pals, it doesn't hurt to let them know that you were in need of a break. Since they're your friends, they probably already know that, but it's still nice to hear it was nothing personal.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »

I appreciate the feedback buys.

Just been recuperating from the eye thing and trying my damnedest not to get stressed out about stuff in general.

It's very hard to try to relax. I end up spending more time being stressed about relaxing than relaxing.

Doesn't help that the paleo thing, while working, (I'm now officially under 400lbs) is giving me every single one of the negative side effects. Every. Single. One. (Okay, minus two. I haven't had much in the way of bad breath and I've only had a couple cravings for stuff.)

Lethargy, fucked up sleep (Worse than my usual fucked up sleep.) where I go to bed at 10pm, wake up at 2am, then go back to sleep at 7am and sleep until 2pm. Then plus or minus a few hours in another direction every night.

MASSIVE irritability to the point where my wife is probably up for sainthood.

All this while trying to be calm all the time so my eyeball doesn't explode again.

And then I turn around and talk about my problems with the diet and people respond to me with "YOUR DOING IT WRONG DO THIS" which I do, and the problem stays the same or gets worse, and I complain and someone else sez "NO YOUR DOING IT WRONG YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY BE DOING IT LIKE THIS..." and repeat.

Frustrating. 

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

Lethargy, fucked up sleep (Worse than my usual fucked up sleep.) where I go to bed at 10pm, wake up at 2am, then go back to sleep at 7am and sleep until 2pm. Then plus or minus a few hours in another direction every night.

MASSIVE irritability to the point where my wife is probably up for sainthood.

All this while trying to be calm all the time so my eyeball doesn't explode again.

And then I turn around and talk about my problems with the diet and people respond to me with "YOUR DOING IT WRONG DO THIS" which I do, and the problem stays the same or gets worse, and I complain and someone else sez "NO YOUR DOING IT WRONG YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY BE DOING IT LIKE THIS..." and repeat.

I can picture that. I'm one of the people who experienced nothing short of miraculous results but I ended up narrowing it down primarily to gluten being the core issue in my case. A lot of the other non-paleo foods appear to cause me no particular problem. Meanwhile, some foods that are arguably paleo DO cause me problems, like pepperoni if I eat too much of it. Actually, MSG seems to fuck me up and I would be that's not paleo. I think the pepperoni was loaded with it.

But what I mean is I can see someone who's benefiting greatly from it presuming their experience will be universal. I think we have to accept that we all react differently to different foods and you might need to experiment a little with your case. I've very reluctantly accepted that wheat doesn't cause massive problems for everyone, just a big chunk of people. I've seen too many people that eat it and seem fine though it's bizarre to me. It's like watching someone casually eat a light bulb.

What works best for me (and not necessarily for you) is avoiding wheat/gluten almost religiously, eating beans and rice just occasionally and in modest portions, eating fruit in modest portions regularly (like an apple a day), and cheese and dairy cause me no noticeable problems. In fact, I eat CarbSmart ice cream, usually with crushed almonds to liven it up, almost every day and I eat cheese with an apple as a common snack. And I try to keep my daily carbs around 100g to 150g. Considering the avg person gets 300g to 500g because we've been sold on the notion of bread, potatoes, rice, etc. as our primary energy sources, that's pretty moderate.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

John, on that diet, you gotta fucking blow it once a week and eat whatever the fuck you want.  It won't have a negative effect!

ONCE a FUCKING WEEK - ALL DAY then get back on it!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:20:37 PM by Fred »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »

I've been pretty hard core about not breaking the paleo rules. We've been on it since the middle of October and the closest I've come to cheating is buying off the shelf beef jerky a couple times (Twice) that had sugar in it, (Mind you the carbs per serving were still less than 1) and the other day when I heard that Hostess was filing for bankruptcy I broke down and bought one twin pack of Twinkies, strictly for nostalgia. (I had no particular sweet tooth urge or anything, it was a pretty rational, or at least conscious choice) I called Mel and mentioned it and hemmed and hawed about it for about 10 minutes before I did it.

I paid a serious fucking price for the Twinkies. About ten minutes after eating them I was hit with stomach cramps and bloating and heartburn/acid flying up my throat and knotted up intestines and swollen legs for a couple days. I won't be repeating that experiment.

So anyway the diet is "Working" from the perspective of weight loss, as I keep losing 1-2 lbs a week, but I have to figure out how to stop the mood swings and lethargy and flu like symptoms and crabbyness or I'm prolly gonna end up a completely justifiable victim of domestic violence.

<<<Really thinking about getting back into caffeine hard core somehow and wishes he could choke down coffee.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:46 PM »

gotta do it your way - maybe what works for others is the shitstorm for you man... but, fucking twinkies - you really wanted twinkies...when I'm starving for carbs or shit i don't want fuckin twinkies.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »

I have to figure out how to stop the mood swings and lethargy and flu like symptoms and crabbyness or I'm prolly gonna end up a completely justifiable victim of domestic violence.

Exercise. Any kind that you can do. Doesn't have to be running or lifting weights and all that shit. Just moving around, getting some shit done. I'm telling ya man, it works. Gotta get that heart rate up. Just a half hour a day makes a huge diff.

The endorphins released are sorta like natural morphine in the way they lessen symptoms of depression, such as the crabbyness you're talking about. The lethargy and flu like symptoms are lessended by the exercise itself.

Give it a shot for a week, then come back and tell me im wrong.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  Periodically dropping off the face of the Earth syndrome.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 32 queries.