Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  moral dilemma
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moral dilemma  (Read 12144 times)

Brandon

• View Profile
moral dilemma
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »

I'm a freshman in college and my major is criminal justice. Part of my reasoning was that police officers would be more willing to listen to a libertarian if it was another police officer and that it would help having more officers supporting marijuana bills. But I'm having serious doubts if I can arrest some people. I'm thinking about changing my major but I wanted to get the opinions of some other people. Is this a good or bad idea? Would having a libertarian police officer help at all?

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: moral dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »

The fairest answer I could give you is that after lurking on some police forums, they really do support the laws they have to uphold unconditionally. They buy into the slippery slope fallacy that all laws must be upheld, and the ones that don't, the minority, know that if they didn't, their job security would go down.

Now, in your life experience, how many times were you able to change a system from the inside?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »

I could do it. I don't think I could have at 18 though. Needs a lot of experience to really see right and wrong, push the right buttens, and live to tell about it.
May I suggest you open up a duologue with Highline AKA Brad Jarvis? He is a princepiled libertarian and a ex-cop.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »

Fred, you're a decent enough guy but this is absolutely your last warning about posting random videos in other people's threads for no reason.

Knock it off, man.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »

In response to your thread, B...

Keep in mind exactly what will happen if you become a cop and are a *Real* liberty lover.

1. If you don't get flat out fired for failing to meet quotas or get totally ostracized by your co-workers.

2. You will buckle under the pressure and sell out.

If you understand those two things going in, then I say go for it. If you don't enforce the law, they're gonna ask you about your numbers. There are performance metrics and if they see a pattern of say, no pot arrests over X period of time, you're gonna get hauled in and have a dude with a big faggoty (In the bad way) cop mustache bawling you out.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »

how would I talk to Brad jarvis?

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »

Just go to this thread, click on his handle "Highline". That will take you to his profile. On the bottom of that is a "Send this person a personnel message" button. This appears in his email. I'm sure he will get back to you.
http://bbs.freetalklive.com/guns-drugs-and-crazy-independence-stuff/please-help-us-fight-for-firearm-freedom-in-new-hampshire!/msg648111/?boardseen#new

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »

Lets suppose, just as an example, you do decide to be a cop and your first week on the job, you get stuck partnered up with some gung-ho douchebag to "show you the ropes". You get a call to a tavern on a report that someone is outside on the hood of his car drinking a beer illegally, he's a little drunk but not bothering anyone, yet for some reason or another, some busy body type prick calls you guys out and you're forced to respond. Will you go against your partners instructions to put your club across his neck if he doesn't comply while he puts the cuffs on, or will you just go along? If you dont, you wont last long. If you do, you've already sucked the states cock and it would be very hard for you to go back and start over.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't do it.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »

It can be downright dangerous if the other cops learned your true feelings.  They have ways to get rid of those that don't subscribe to their particular brand of groupthink.

I used to work with a guy that used to be a cop.  Basically his career was over once he busted the Mayor (ironically he got elected on a law and order - get rid of the drunks platform) for DWI.  His Captain told him to lie on the stand and let the Mayor walk.  He got on the stand and told the truth but "somehow" the prosecutor made an "error" and the Mayor got off on a technicality.

After that almost every arrest was followed up with IAB interviewing the arrestee about "excessive force".  Plus they would send him to bar fights and domestic violence calls and his backup was always very late.  He wound up quitting before they could get him killed.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »

It can be downright dangerous if the other cops learned your true feelings for them.
They're not all homophobes

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »

Sounds like you might be wasting a big chunk of time from your life as well as money. I thought about becoming a self employed PI, still would love to do that, but there's no way I'd want to go through the hassle of hanging out with cops all day. Hellsno.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »

Working for the government in almost any capacity makes me feel dirty.  You'll have to do things you think are morally wrong...or lose your job.  That sounds like a bad situation to put yourself in if you ask me.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

It can be downright dangerous if the other cops learned your true feelings for them.
They're not all homophobes
I am convinced a lot of those jackboots really do want Derrick in the worst way. He seems to garner a lot of physical attention from some of them. Quite a bit for about the last person I would suspect of any violence in any given group.
They probably rub out to the (painful to watch) Manch vs. Keene video.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Serious Business
| | |-+  moral dilemma

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.