Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?  (Read 89155 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2009, 12:12:04 AM »

Awesome.  Although I would have made the businessman yellow.  I dig it, even if it may not be entirely serious.

I liked it white. Its not perfect (note the less detailed wrench), and its made from parts of the illustrations of others but I like it as my latest version.

I'm a bit silly myself sometimes so its ok to have cartoons on a flag IMHO.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2009, 12:16:18 AM »

Smaller version...
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »

The cowboy and the wrench/sprocket look much better in this size, but I liked the businessman walking towards the wrench/sprocket better.

<== Critic  :lol:
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »

There were actually several versions as I made it. I thought of the design late one night, then I made the smaller one as you see as a concept. Then I flipped the businessman around for the next version, and for the final version I poorly attempted to expand the whole thing so it made a better desktop background, which is the one you saw first. Fin.

I like making my own backgrounds, and commonly revolve them around my political views, current favorite quotes and ideas, business, etc.
I am however, not that great with Gimp and not a good artist.

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:12 AM »

I like the general idea, anarchir.  The implementation could be better (i.e. pixelation), but who cares.  Here are a few other nitpicks I can offer:

In my interpretation, it shows the three sectors of the economy: the service sector (businessman), the industry (gear & ranch), and the "natural sector" (cowboy).  Each sector is idealized by its greatest representatives: the businessman represents worker independence (i.e. owning your "means of production" and working for yourself), the gear & ranch represents robotization (human beings shouldn't be doing the dirty work by hand), and the cowboy represents independence over nature (i.e. being in control of your local food supply, good stewardship of private property, as well as the capacity for self-defense).  I'd like to think that the cowboy and the businessman are the same guy: day job vs weekend hobby.

The center needs some rethinking, because it's all in the gold (capitalist) portion, as if the cowboy is doing all the industrial work and the businessman is "exploiting" him.  I'd put the gear & ranch in the very center, spanning both colors.    The representation of industry is also a bit outdated, how about adding something like a microchip, the nuclear symbol, and/or a DNA helix as well?

I have mixed feelings about one side being upside-down, because it creates symbolical asymmetry, since flying a flag upside-down is a sign of distress - some might think the businessman is shown to be the bad guy.  Of course there are no rules on how the black'n'gold symbolism is to be presented, on a hanging cloth or on a billboard that rotates like a propeller.  Also, it's traditional to have good guys face the center of the picture - my mom was working for a small college newspaper in the Soviet Union once, and they almost got into a big heap of trouble for putting Lenin's silhouette facing the edge of the page, as if instead of approvingly overlooking the page he's turning away from it and staring into oblivion.  :lol:

So I'd move the cowboy and the businessman from the corners and put them on the same level as the gear & ranch, both right side up, facing each-other in friendship.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:22:50 AM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »

I like the general idea, anarchir.  The implementation could be better (i.e. pixelation), but who cares.  Here are a few other nitpicks I can offer:
So far as pixelation goes, I'm not trying to sell it. If someone fixed it, that'd be awesome.

In my interpretation, it shows the three sectors of the economy: the service sector (businessman), the industry (gear & ranch), and the "natural sector" (cowboy).  Each sector is idealized by its greatest representatives: the businessman represents worker independence (i.e. owning your "means of production" and working for yourself), the gear & ranch represents robotization (human beings shouldn't be doing the dirty work by hand), and the cowboy represents independence over nature (i.e. being in control of your local food supply, good stewardship of private property, as well as the capacity for self-defense).  I'd like to think that the cowboy and the businessman are the same guy: day job vs weekend hobby.

I certainly didnt think it through that much.

The center needs some rethinking, because it's all in the gold (capitalist) portion, as if the cowboy is doing all the industrial work and the businessman is "exploiting" him.  I'd put the gear & ranch in the very center, spanning both colors.

Good idea.
The representation of industry is also a bit outdated, how about adding something like a microchip, the nuclear symbol, and/or a DNA helix as well?
It is dated for a reason. The image of the wrench/gear is taken from a commonly edited leftist-anarchist flier and has typically represented in history something along these lines:

I have mixed feelings about one side being upside-down, because it creates symbolical asymmetry, since flying a flag upside-down is a sign of distress - some might think the businessman is shown to be the bad guy.  Of course there are no rules on how the black'n'gold symbolism is to be presented, on a hanging cloth or on a billboard that rotates like a propeller.

I chose to enable the flag to be held this way up, or the other way up. No top or bottom.
Also, it's traditional to have good guys face the center of the picture - my mom was working for a small college newspaper in the Soviet Union once, and they almost got into a big heap of trouble for putting Lenin's silhouette facing the edge of the page, as if instead of approvingly overlooking the page he's turning away from it and staring into oblivion.  :lol:
I think my final edit ended up like that...yep, it did. The bigger version (made for a desktop background) is

So I'd move the cowboy and the businessman from the corners and put them on the same level as the gear & ranch, both right side up, facing each-other in friendship.

Source for the cowboy and businessman images:
[a href="http://www.marriedtothesea.com/"]The Champagne of Comics[/a]

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »

I like your new avatar, anarchir:

(Please post a full-size pic, the one above will disappear when you change your avatar.)

Another idea: a natalist version of the AnCap flag showing kids riding a sleigh down the incline of the color line in the flag.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:37:08 AM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »

Bayimg is down... g2g I'll do it L8R.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:30:22 PM by anarchir »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »

V V Check the Sig Link V V

Alex Libman 15

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »

Love "come and take it" and especially "we're ungovernable", but I don't like bones.  I'd have thought skeletons on flags, especially dinosaur ones, would be symbolic of conservatism.  :lol:

I wish I could think of a better image to associate with "we're ungovernable"...  For some reason it makes me think of black cat (ex. Anarkitty) or sabot, which are syndicaltardian symbols...  I'm trying to think of something constructive and not destructive, that symbolizes self-sufficiency and/or mobility...  I'm thinking The Pirate Bay logo, but less of a 17th century three-masted sail-ship and more something like a Serenity-class spaceship, but with much added gunnage...  :roll:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:43:20 PM by Alex Libman »

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2009, 01:02:06 AM »

I'm no artist. None of the images contained in each wallpaper were made completely from scratch. I didnt make the jolly roger, just added the tooth and text. The knight originally had a cross on his chess not an A, the cowboy is from married from the sea, as is the businessman. The wrench/gear is a classic image from old anarchists, the dino is one from wikipedia, the Atheist A is a atheist symbol, come and get it is a historic flag, gordon freeman is from the Half Life Series, the dude with a camera is a radical graphic that has been circulating the past few months that says shoot movies not guns or something, etc etc etc.

But I think these are fun :)

hayenmill

• Anarchist Without Adjectives
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

(bad photoshop, I know)

IGNORANCE IS SLAVERY

FREEDOM IS STRENGTH

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »

(A) / Ⓐ reading a book - awesome!

I just wish there was something added to indicate rational understanding of natural rights, as per capitalism / propertarianism.  Anarchy just by itself is something completely different.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:51:35 PM by Alex Libman »

hayenmill

• Anarchist Without Adjectives
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »

(A) / Ⓐ reading a book - awesome!

I just wish there was something added to indicate rational understanding of natural rights, as per capitalism / propertarianism.  Anarchy just by itself is something completely different.

Sorry, don't really buy into natural rights  :lol:
IGNORANCE IS SLAVERY

FREEDOM IS STRENGTH
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 32 queries.