Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  wallmart protest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wallmart protest  (Read 26662 times)

mrddixon

wallmart protest
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »

There is a Wallmart trying to open up shop in town and my girlfriends parents are loud thick skulled liberals (but in a sweet way) who are protesting the fuck against its opening. Dinners with them are awkward. I never say shit.

Taors

Re: wallmart protest
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

Good, because Wal-Mart is a corporation, which should be opposed by libertarians of all varieties. Join your girlfriend's parents in their protest against evil.

mrddixon

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:59:05 PM »

I disagree. walmart couldnt compete as well if they didnt become incorporated. A company that size would probaly be buried by its compepetition, who are talking advantage of incorporation. I mean,they would be stupid not to. Its the governments fault for making corporations possible, not the businesses that have to take advantage if they want to remain competitive.

mrddixon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »

besides, the point of the picture is that people demonize big business, even though their percived "evils" pale in comparison to the governments.

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

Good, because Wal-Mart is a corporation, which should be opposed by libertarians of all varieties. Join your girlfriend's parents in their protest against evil.

Yeah, and go right ahead and protest against me as well. I pay income tax for all of my three jobs. I'm evil.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

I disagree. walmart couldnt compete as well if they didnt become incorporated. A company that size would probaly be buried by its compepetition, who are talking advantage of incorporation. I mean,they would be stupid not to. Its the governments fault for making corporations possible, not the businesses that have to take advantage if they want to remain competitive.

O.K. I'm off to join the DEA, its the governments fault for offering me such a tempting money making position. I am blameless. 

AntonLee

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:25:11 AM »

I'm just surprised they are against Wal-Mart. . . most liberals I know are preaching peace but ready to have our government roll tanks into the parking lot at Mobil/Exxon Headquarters. . .ready to make them a state run operation.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »

besides, the point of the picture is that people demonize big business, even though their percived "evils" pale in comparison to the governments.
You're walking down the street and a thug jumps out in front of you with a bag. At the same time, you feel the cold barrel of a pistol press into the back of your neck, then slowly pull away. The thug in front of you tells you to not make a noise and put all your valuable belongings in the bag. You comply, and some $200 worth of cash and electronics goes in the bag. The thug runs away. You turn around to get a look at the gunman, only to find he hasn't been there since he pulled the gun off your neck.

The next day, you see the thug at the supermarket, more respectably dressed, loading a few boxes of beer in his trunk, talking on your cellphone, ordering a few pizzas, as you overhear.

But you shouldn't be mad at him. He only did what was perfectly rational at the time, his crime is nothing compared to the guy (if it was a guy) that pushed a gun into your neck. Without that theft, he wouldn't have been able to dress as well or afford to throw a party that evening. Right? It's all the gunman's fault, he's the one you need to find.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:11:43 PM by Zhwazi »

mrddixon

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

But you shouldn't be mad at him. He only did what was perfectly rational at the time, his crime is nothing compared to the guy (if it was a guy) that pushed a gun into your neck. Without that theft, he wouldn't have been able to dress as well or afford to throw a party that evening. Right? It's all the gunman's fault, he's the one you need to find.
But wallmart isnt robbing me if i voluntarily choose to shop there, so i dont think the analogy is apt.

O.K. I'm off to join the DEA, its the governments fault for offering me such a tempting money making position. I am blameless.
ok ok, wallmart is somewhat complicit. but is the solution for me to protest walmarts right to build a store on land i dont own? I think its wiser to attack the root of the problem that allows walmart market place advantages, which of course is the italians.  Besides, who isnt complicit when it comes to taking advantage of government services?

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »

But wallmart isnt robbing me if i voluntarily choose to shop there, so i dont think the analogy is apt.
It's a flawless analogy, you just don't want to see it. There's this paradigm of libertarian thought you're using, I call it the "HURR I DONT SEE A GUN OR A BUREAUCRAT THAT MEANS ITS VOLUNTARY HURR" school. You didn't see the thug with the gun, remember? But it sure as hell influenced the way you behaved. It happens so often that you don't even know how to see it. It's so pervasive that it's like trying to describe water to a fish.

I could also extend the analogy, but if you've got the half-brain it takes to understand what I'm talking about then I don't have to, and if you don't, then it would be pointless to.

Also, it's Wal-Mart. Not Wallmart. Might want to fix that in your picture.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »

And what's so bad about evil Wal-Mart?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mrddixon

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »

It's a flawless analogy, you just balh blah blah

Please dont talk down to me. i understand the logic of your analogy, but look dude, its not so black and white. I use the public Library here, and yeah, that influences others who dont use the library, and yes there is indeed a gun involved, but am i evil? No more then you when you use the roads. Youre right, the gun is pervasive, but we are all complicit; im just trying to suggest we go after the root of the problem, not the symptoms.

Your arguments would have more traction if you werent so belligerent and self-righteous. You sound like a hatefilled dork who got his ass beat all through high school and is now trying to take it on people by beating them up in forums.
Ive just recently started exploring forums and i find it amazing that so many people are just plain dicks to anyone who doesnt agree with them. Man, what is it with you people? This is the first time ive responded to you in kind. WALLLLLMart

Zhwazi

• View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »

Please dont talk down to me.
Act like you're smarter than the average libertarian and I'll stop.

i understand the logic of your analogy, but look dude, its not so black and white.
It is black and white. If you see shades of gray then you're not looking close enough. And you obviously don't understand the analogy if you think "wallmart isnt robbing me if i voluntarily choose to shop there" somehow rebuts it.

I use the public Library here, and yeah, that influences others who dont use the library, and yes there is indeed a gun involved, but am i evil? No more then you when you use the roads. Youre right, the gun is pervasive, but we are all complicit; im just trying to suggest we go after the root of the problem, not the symptoms.
Yeah, you obviously don't get my analogy at all, this stuff has nothing to do with it.

Your arguments would have more traction if you werent so belligerent and self-righteous. You sound like a hatefilled dork who got his ass beat all through high school and is now trying to take it on people by beating them up in forums.
Your picture is belligerent and self-righteous, can you not see that? Do you think it's actually going to persuade any Wal-Mart protesters? And you're telling me about giving traction to my arguments, are you? Hah.

Ive just recently started exploring forums and i find it amazing that so many people are just plain dicks to anyone who doesnt agree with them. Man, what is it with you people? This is the first time ive responded to you in kind.
...yet you don't see that your picture makes you look like a "just plain dick" to people who disagree with you about what they should be protesting? I'm responding to you in kind, you simply don't seem to have realized that.

Edit: 45 minutes in GIMP.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:49:22 PM by Zhwazi »

Taors

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

And what's so bad about evil Wal-Mart?

Learn how to read.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 11:45:15 PM »

Why don't y'all just go to Target instead?

I do & here's why... The prices are actually cheaper on many day-to-day items, the stores don't usually smell like diapers and spoiled milk, I haven't seen box cutters lying around on shelves at Target, many shoppers at Mal-Wart shuffle their feet around the isles looking dazed and strung out on Valium.. etc.

Really, I'm willing to bet the average IQ of a Target shopper is higher than that of Mal-Wart's clientèle.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  wallmart protest

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 33 queries.