Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  New Transmitter or Just get an Amp?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Transmitter or Just get an Amp?  (Read 7886 times)

Joe@Music913

• View Profile
New Transmitter or Just get an Amp?
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:28 PM »

Hello All!!

I have a Ramsey FM30 that has been on the air 24/7 for about 10 years (or however long they have been made), even though it is only a 1/4 watt I have it attached to a Dominator NWE-34 broadcast antenna by Norwalk Electronics (http://fmbroadcastantenna.com/dominator.html) @ a 1/4 watt you wouldn't believe the radius I get with this $350 antenna mounted 50 feet above ground LOL, I get about 1 mile in every direction, I am serving a community of people in a small town with GREAT Classic Rock (uninterrupted music, 24/7 "commercial free")

I play lots of "deep tracks" that commercial radio could not play in the 70's, (we use $600 pro software called "OTSAV" that a buddy got me a copy of)

We have an email address and I am getting emails from young kids saying they didn't know about all this classic rock, and older folks saying they love it, the town has about 30,000 people in it and even the town council is aware of it and is very supportive of the station, the problem is I only reach about a 1/4 of the town

I an trying to decide whether to scrap the Ramsey FM30 and get a 20 or 30 watt transmitter or just get a class A-B amp for about 20 watts, I see a lot of them from China but don't want all kinds of spurious emissions

I am no expert on the sound quality of the Ramsey FM30 compared to whats out there today, But everyone says it sounds great (the software does a GREAT job of leveling the sound so I can drive the Ramsey FM30 well)

I am 56 years old and unfortunately I am now on a fixed income and don't have a lot of money to spend on this, I am figuring a max of about $300 or so

I have been in radio all my life, Can any of you give me some advice?

Thanks!!

Joe

Joe@Music913

• View Profile
Re: New Transmitter or Just get an Amp?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »

Well after 61 views I was hoping for some equipment recommendations.....  :(

Guess this is the wrong place to ask?

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »

This place is pretty dead. Ian and Mark prolly haven't even seen your post. The FTL Facebook page?

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »

I like their PX-50.  Rock solid device.

Sorry the forum's dead. Wish something could be done about it, but I don't know what that would be.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  LRN.FM - The Liberty Radio Network
| |-+  Free Radio Forum
| | |-+  New Transmitter or Just get an Amp?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 26 queries.