Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Mad Max / Off the Grid tips n' tricks
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Mad Max / Off the Grid tips n' tricks  (Read 91356 times)

alaric89

• View Profile
Re: Mad Max / Off the Grid tips n' tricks
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »

Came right up on google. Sounds neat. http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-ultra.html Note: the solar products butten.
Mr. Dragline, you are a little like Mr. Shaw, a Gruff S.O.B. who is hard to take seriously sometimes, but probably should. In your case, anything to do with plumbing especially.
Notice there is a tax credit mentioned on the websight.
Well?

Riddler

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

Came right up on google. Sounds neat. http://www.htproducts.com/superstor-ultra.html Note: the solar products butten.
Mr. Dragline, you are a little like Mr. Shaw, a Gruff S.O.B. who is hard to take seriously sometimes, but probably should. In your case, anything to do with plumbing especially.
Well?

negro,
i been a licensed master plumber since 1987
been in the trade since '83
big fed. tax credits ended 12/31/10
some states & localities stil have smaller credits avail.
super-stor has a lifetime warr.
all stainless

blackie

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:25 AM »

How much does the super-stor cost?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:24:18 PM by blackie »

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Well?

negro,
i been a licensed master plumber since 1987
been in the trade since '83
big fed. tax credits ended 12/31/10
some states & localities stil have smaller credits avail.
super-stor has a lifetime warr.
all stainless

Well then, whats your stance on geothermal units?
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Riddler

« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »

How much does the super-stor cost?

they're pricey.
if you have a solar system, you need a min. 80 gal tank
@ $1800-2000

that's what i'd sell it to you motherfuckers for
i'd pay @ $1500

Riddler

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

Well then, whats your stance on geothermal units?

geo-therm is a great idea, but it has a major price tag.
only reasonable if the govt. gives you that big tax credit & you're going to stay in the house for 10+ years

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

Theres got to be a cheaper way. We just haven't thought of it yet.

I'll experiment in the back lot over the summer and get back to you guys if I invent a better/cheaper way.

Unless, of course, they use large sums of cash to silence me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:30:59 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Riddler

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »

coal.

i bought a coal/oil combo boiler for my shop/apartment bldg.
i'ma gonna buy a coal add-on for the house, and be done w/ the wood, methinks.

coal is the cheapest, lowest labor-intensive solid-fuel alternative heating system. (vs. wood or pellet)

it comes in 40lb bags....washed.......2500 lb to a pallet.
right from drif's backyard.

blaschak coal mine....in mahanoy city , pa

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

coal.

i bought a coal/oil combo boiler for my shop/apartment bldg.
i'ma gonna buy a coal add-on for the house, and be done w/ the wood, methinks.

coal is the cheapest, lowest labor-intensive solid-fuel alternative heating system. (vs. wood or pellet)

it comes in 40lb bags....washed.......2500 lb to a pallet.
right from drif's backyard.

blaschak coal mine....in mahanoy city , pa

Not worried about the mercury? I mean, you would avoid it with oil heating baseboards around the house, I guess.

You ever look into pipe insulation to lower costs of heating? What about spray-on porcelain? Whats your take on that?

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Riddler

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »

mercury?

shmercury.

my pipes are insulated.
i should have gone large on house insulation when we built vs. the standard fiberglass batting     R19 walls, etc

porcelain?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:42:32 PM by Dragline »

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »

http://www.gizmag.com/spray-on-ceramic-coating-dramatically-reduces-external-temperatures/6642/

Brain fart on my part. I was thinking about this.

Could insulate a wall from the outside.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:42 AM »

If you push it backwards through your meter, you can probably generate enough cash to make maintaining the system free.  Depends on the prices of your hardware, and if you have enough extra panels and windys to create a surplus.  Some places are windy and desolate enough to make wind a real good alternative.  In western Nevada, the Zephyr wind is - as I understand it - pretty regular.

Ideally, you'd want a hydroelectric project, if you had a decent creek with some slope to the ground. 

Depends how far off the grid you're talking.  And helps to DIY everything, so you can save fees, and also know how to repair it.

I've seen it mentioned that people who are completely off-grid will get propane/electric refrigerators.  If the electricity quits, the propane kicks it on. 

Its also important, in my opinion, to be in a region where the climate won't kill you.  There are times of year when you have to generate some heat, almost everywhere.  But in some places, you have to generate massive heat.  And energy is energy, so..  Less is better in all aspects. 

--

Every once in a while, I see a bank for sale.  A gods-honest, granite pillared bulwark.  Zero lawn.  Just a bank on a sidewalk. 

That'd be the shit. 

I also saw, in Upstate NY a few years ago, a Masonic temple, for about eighty grand.  Big stainless professional kitchen.  Bowling alley.  Ballrooms.  And then club suites and classrooms upstairs.  It was real cool. 

BonerJoe

« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:51 AM »

From what I understand, you'll never get a check from the utility company for putting surplus power into their system. What it does do is make the meter run backwards and negate any electricity you use during the night.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »

It depends how big your rig is, and how much you consume, and how much you generate. 

Before I took step one, I'd interview the head of customer service at the local power company.  They're actually there for that.  You may wait in chairs for a while, but they'll see you.

Different companies may have different policies.  Peak times in antiquated grids get close to blackouts in the summer.  They want people putting wattage in. 

Like I said, I'd do hydro before anything, if possible.  But theres a lot of engineering in that.  Solar is cool because you can add on panels as affordable. But you need a pretty good number of them.

Electricity is gonna get very expensive in the next decade, as cars move towards it.  And the grid can often barely hold the load its got.  It makes a real nice supplemental retirement project, if you can get it right. 

I'm nowhere near being able to talk numbers, and won't be for quite a while.  But that talk with the electric company would be part of the due diligence in any property I'd buy.  Knowing the weather statistics would be another.  Nevada gets an average of 3600 hours of sunlight per year, and you need to know that kind of data, so you can calculate the wattage per panel you'd expect. 

If you've already settled on a region, then you need to focus differently.  Like a woodburner.  Everything comes second after that. 

I donno man, everyone has their own way.  Its all about harnessing whats abundant.  In the south, that'd be sun, water, or wind.  In the north, its wood. 

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2011, 02:48:05 AM »

From what I understand, you'll never get a check from the utility company for putting surplus power into their system. What it does do is make the meter run backwards and negate any electricity you use during the night.

Yeah, pretty much thats how it works. There are places that will let you sell back and get a check from them, but most places im aware of only let you sell enough electricity back to them to the point where you break even, even if you are producing more than you are using. After that, you are basically giving the power company free electicity to use.

It all depends on the power company policy.
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Mad Max / Off the Grid tips n' tricks

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.