Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Heavy, swollen, engorged bags
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy, swollen, engorged bags  (Read 29535 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Heavy, swollen, engorged bags
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »

..or Man Purses.

There are a few things I have to carry around every day: insulin pen & needles, blood checker kit, phone, glasses, and an ice pack for the insulin if it's really hot. Not a lot of stuff but more than I want to pack in my jeans, so I've been carrying it al in a small camera bag for years. Decided to look at some new stuff and at first was gonna get this:

FR-1

..but then found a pretty good deal on this one, which also has enough room for my camera and other stuff should I go off in the woods for a bit:

Remora

Both by Maxpedition.

The second one, the Remora, may be of interest for those of you with CCW. There are two spots designed for holsters, the one in the back is really easily accessed.

I don't have any "pro" backpacks for bugging out (next on the list) but I do have a couple good backpacks ready and a few oddball Vietnam era packs hangin around.

Any of you guys carry a purse?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Heavy, swollen, engorged bags
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »

I have this one. Its the Maxpedition Falcon II.

A little on the small side compared to some of the "bug out bag" ones, but big enough for just about anything but carrying clothes in. I carry mine in my car most of the time. Has just about everything I might need in emergency in it. Basic tools, digital camera, small fishing stuff, a few lighters, small space blanket, small candles and fire starter, big ass Ontario RTAK II knife strapped to the side of it. Nice rugged bag. Also has a CCW pouch in the back and a water bladder slot in the back as well with the fancy guides to run the water tube into.

I need to get another one exactly like it, because I find myself emptying the emergency shit out of it all the time to put daily use stuff in it. It becomes a pain in the ass, so yeah, I need another one.

Maxpedition bags are the best you can get.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:32:22 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »

Being a diabetic and a dad trips me up when thinking about all this survival stuff. Plus I live in the city.. so to get enough stuff prepared for 4 of us and to realistically think I could make decent time carrying it all out to the wilderness & beating off the throngs of zombies along the way causes me grief.

I do like that bag there though. Not too pricey either.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

Being a diabetic and a dad trips me up when thinking about all this survival stuff. Plus I live in the city.. so to get enough stuff prepared for 4 of us and to realistically think I could make decent time carrying it all out to the wilderness & beating off the throngs of zombies along the way causes me grief.

I do like that bag there though. Not too pricey either.

Well, I think some people go overboard when it comes to survival stuff anyway. They try having every conceivable piece of equipment known to man, just because they think they might need it ONCE in any given month. Like a shovel in a bug out bag for instance....... I mean really, unless you plan on digging your way out of your house through the crawlspace or some insane shit like that, a piece of wood broken off a tree limb will dig a hole at a campsite just as well and you dont have to haul it around with you when youre done with it. Just throw it in the fire and make a new one later.

Tons of examples of stuff like that. Just worry about the basic stuff. Food, water, shelter, fire starting and medical. Then decide what you would need to make those things happen. The rest of that stuff is just wasted energy carrying it around. In my case, I think bugging out in a zombie apocalypse would be worse than just staying home and waiting it out there because I'd be fighting off all the other people running for the hills on my way to where im going anyway. Now if shit ever got THAT bad, which I dont ever see happening anyway, theres always the plan B of hauling ass for the hills.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:21:18 PM »

The key to survival shit is efficiency.

The right guns (Sidearm and lightweight/durable rifle) with enough ammo, (A lot*) all season clothes, (At least four sets, including boots/shoes) enough food for three months, trade goods, (Choose your poison) water, cash, couple of bugout bags, survival knife, lots of gas, bunch of hand crank powered shit including chargers etc.

Short term emergency - Should fill a car trunk.

Bigger emergency - Should be able to fit in a minivan.

Serious shit - Be in a house/cabin.

Everything else is gravy. Get a generator.

Our emergency kit has 2000 rounds of 9mm and 6000 rounds of .22lr. Also 800 rounds of 7.62x39 and an alt. backup of 400 rounds of 7.62x51/.308

The .22 will prolly get the most use, and 6000 rounds can fit into a medium toolbox.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

BonerJoe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »

And if you get a generator, make sure you maintain it correctly.

PRI-G in the fuel tank/can (preferably you keep the fuel tank drained).
Test it monthly, and shut the fuel cock off to drain the carburetor instead of letting gas go bad in it and clog the jets.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »

I don't buy "specialized survival bags".  I have a nice internal frame backpacking backpack I picked up at Costco for 55 bucks when I was in Boy Scouts to replace my inherited 1970's Kelty external frame.  I've used it to go on multi-week trailblazing treks and fits all of the gear I would need to just survive, including a fishing pole, pocket rocket camping stove and propane fuel, mixed fuel stove (pain in the ass to use, but necessary at high altitude) and fuel, sleeping pad, tent, mummy bag, spare clothes, water purifying pump, canteens, camelpak, soap, TP, spare comfortable shoes, cookware etc.  I can strap a day trip pack to the back of it filled with more useful goodies, along with a shovel (they do actually come in handy more often than you think), rope for lashing, a small hatchet, and although I haven't tried it, I'm sure I could rig up a sheath for a long gun, and also carry a holstered pistol at the same time.  On the last Sierra Trek I did I think my pack weighed 75 lbs, which is not exactly light weight nor does it allow you to be very agile.

Going backpacking during a national crisis is not exactly something I'd be too interested in though, but it is a possibility.  Nothing I bought was specially designed by any survivalist, although the pocket rocket stove and the backpack were designed for backpackers.

My advice for survival preparedness is to just go buy a Boy Scout manual.  Honestly, it's all in there.  You don't need to spend tons of money on books from all kinds of survivalist people.  A simple Boy Scout manual will give you everything you need to know for basic first aid, camping, backpacking, survival technique, and food foraging. 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »

A folding shovel doesn't take that much space. It gets strapped to the outside of my backpack. It's a habit I picked up in the army. I have used mine to dig my car out of a snowbank after a spin out. I see the shovel getting more use than a gun. I have never needed to use a gun yet.

And I don't plan on using a stick to recover buried caches.

The shovel was just one example of things you could get by without. If you feel a shovel is something you would use alot, then by all means, bring one. I just dont see myself needing one very often.

My whole point is, if you need to be careful about extra weight, a shovel is one thing you can improvise if you need one. Sure, a gun is something you might not need very often, but try getting by without one when you really need it. Improvising by throwing rocks might be an option I guess. *

* See Sam Gunn's quote  

Further proof that you dont NEED a shovel.....

Minecraft How-to: Dig Sand/Gravel without Shovel tutorial!

edit...shit, hit the wrong button..sorry, blackie
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:19:50 AM by blackie »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

Honestly, a shovel is useful for a lot of things, but you can use your hatchet to improvise for the shovel, they just don't work as well though.  They do sell super lightweight shovels that really don't weigh much of anything noticeable and they are easy enough to lash on to the back of your pack.

Notice we forgot the shovel, and the hatchet would have been a major no-no according to the Feds in this place.  

Hiking like this is a pain in the butt, no way I'd do this type of thing unless the situation was extremely dire...or if it was just for fun.

We logged 64 miles on this two week journey, most of it off trail.

What a great trip.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:36:02 PM by Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith) »
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »

I DONT NEEDS NO STEENKING SHOVEL!!!!

Damn, thats some nice scenery there. Makes me wanna light up a joint and listen to some old John Denver tunes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:32:17 AM by quickmike »

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »

Ok, thats one shovel I would carry around.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

I just carry around a couple rolls of duct tape. 

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »

That doesn't help get rid of the body - just control it.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »

I just use the original rolls. Wear them on a rope around my neck like a 80's rapper.
Mythbusters has many shows showing that duct tape is a survivalists friend even though I was kind of kidding.
I don't come from the school of thought to prioritises guns and ammo though. Puts a target on your back. The word is "survive" not have a shitload of government registered weapons to turn in or die in a blaze of glory as one makes a lot of racket. Guns are only handy for defense or attack, SHTF I am in hide and run and lay the fuck low mode.
My Gerber and a roll of duct tape would get me pretty far I think.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »

I just use the original rolls. Wear them on a rope around my neck like a 80's rapper.
Mythbusters has many shows showing that duct tape is a survivalists friend even though I was kind of kidding.
I don't come from the school of thought to prioritises guns and ammo though. Puts a target on your back. The word is "survive" not have a shitload of government registered weapons to turn in or die in a blaze of glory as one makes a lot of racket. Guns are only handy for defense or attack, SHTF I am in hide and run and lay the fuck low mode.
My Gerber and a roll of duct tape would get me pretty far I think.
Most guns aren't registered by any government in the United States.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Heavy, swollen, engorged bags

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.