Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Bulk food storage, sources, and buying experiences.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk food storage, sources, and buying experiences.  (Read 19310 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
Re: Bulk food storage, sources, and buying experiences.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »

I should have said "I like the slide-out pliers and inside folding locking blades type knife" (only Gerber makes them).

Might be the exact one I like. I've had mine for over ten years and have used it just about every day either at work, or for something I need done at home. Never had a problem with it, cept having to sharpen the blade on the knife every now and then. Other than that........ nothing. The thing is sturdy.

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 05:21:07 PM »

I like the Hemp protein powder from http://hempusa.org/

Its $100 for a 5lb container, and tastes good in milk to me.

The Survival Podcast has many sponsers and ides for storing food but, I haven't tried any of them.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 06:09:14 PM »

If I had to store grains for a long time, I'd probably put a garbage bag inside a 5-gallon bucket and fill 'er up.  Tie a knot in it, hard.  Snap the lid on.

If that doesn't keep pests out, you've got some damn determined pests.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

They suggest oxygen absorbers and light blocking bags when you do that.  Supposedly the litter critter's eggs are in just about every type bean and rice we buy. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »

Makes sense.  I can see the need for a desiccant.  I donno how much light would filter through a bucket, black bag, in a dimly-lit cellar, though. 

I used to use black "lawn bags" on my windows when I worked the midnights, so I could sleep in the day.  Regular garbage bags don't work, they look amber when the light comes through.  But the heavy 14-mil lawn+construction bags, jet black.  Superblack.  Ultra-black.  Blacker than black. 

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »

I'd be hesitant to use garbage bags if the food was going directly into them. They're just not designed to come in direct contact with food. (Not sure if that's what you meant, though.)
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

Bill Brasky

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »

I'd be hesitant to use garbage bags if the food was going directly into them. They're just not designed to come in direct contact with food. (Not sure if that's what you meant, though.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDPE

Generally, the only difference between "industrial" plastic applications and food-grade plastic (if its "PE") is the food-grade has to use edible, food-grade lubricants in the manufacturing process. 

Minus that difference, this is what they make many food containment products.  Saran wrap, milk jugs, sandwich bags - you name it. 

Its not really the plastic itself, but the FDA requirements of hair nets, factory conditions, and lubricants. 

I'd be more concerned about the pesticides and "acceptable" contaminants like rat droppings than the off-gassing of the plastic.  That same plastic is soda bottles, etc.  Even the white pickle-buckets, polyethylene.

Just sayin'.   

The only plsatic you should be concerned with (for long-term storage) is the PVC with the recycle code #3

Heres a handy-dandy chart..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

BonerJoe

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 02:31:04 AM »

The only "real" way to pack stuff for long term storage is:

Line a bucket with food grade metallic mylar bags
Pour your crap in it and fill it up only enough so that you can seal it
Take it out of the bucket
Flush it with nitrogen
Put in an oxygen absorber in the bag
Vacuum seal it

If you do it that way, it will store pretty much indefenetly. I'm guessing its about $500 in equipment to do it the right way.

Or you can just buy it already done for you. You'd probably have to pack about a ton of stuff before you broke even  in terms of DIY or buying it in a bucket already.

It makes sense to get the freshest available product to store, too. Do it in the fall, after harvest. Etc.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »

Thats pretty neat. 

How about blue five-gallon water jugs, tap a bung into it, then dip the top in hot wax? 

BonerJoe

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 03:57:40 AM »

Not bad. But depending on the price of the container...

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »

I like the simplicity of the sealed 5 gallon bucket, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop the moths... plus, I have my underage kitchen helpers who might not seal it all the way. I'll save BJ's impressive storage method for when zombies/apes/robots/mother nature rise up to destroy humans and I need to think L-O-N-G term storage for safe transport on our trek to higher ground.

I'm going to try buying a 10# bag each of the multigrain (gluten free) and all purpose flour I like and scooping it into 1 gal ziploc bags. In four weeks as I'm using up the last of it, if I don't have a flock of pantry moths, I'll know I've found what works.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

latebloomer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDPE

Generally, the only difference between "industrial" plastic applications and food-grade plastic (if its "PE") is the food-grade has to use edible, food-grade lubricants in the manufacturing process. 

Minus that difference, this is what they make many food containment products.  Saran wrap, milk jugs, sandwich bags - you name it. 

Its not really the plastic itself, but the FDA requirements of hair nets, factory conditions, and lubricants. 

I'd be more concerned about the pesticides and "acceptable" contaminants like rat droppings than the off-gassing of the plastic.  That same plastic is soda bottles, etc.  Even the white pickle-buckets, polyethylene.

Just sayin'.   

The only plsatic you should be concerned with (for long-term storage) is the PVC with the recycle code #3

Heres a handy-dandy chart..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Learn something new every day!
"History is-a made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »

I like the simplicity of the sealed 5 gallon bucket, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop the moths... plus, I have my underage kitchen helpers who might not seal it all the way. I'll save BJ's impressive storage method for when zombies/apes/robots/mother nature rise up to destroy humans and I need to think L-O-N-G term storage for safe transport on our trek to higher ground.

I'm going to try buying a 10# bag each of the multigrain (gluten free) and all purpose flour I like and scooping it into 1 gal ziploc bags. In four weeks as I'm using up the last of it, if I don't have a flock of pantry moths, I'll know I've found what works.

I have no idea where I heard this, if it's true, or to what extent it's even logical...but I heard if you freeze it for a couple days and then take it out it should be fine.  Sounds crazy to me, but you may not have much to lose.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 04:17:11 AM »

You could sift the flour, and seal into 1lb. Ziploc bags, and then toss them into the 5lb. storage container. less mess that way.

If you hated yourself, you could also bake the flour into hardtack, which would make it last longer than bread.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 07:47:23 AM »

I have no idea where I heard this, if it's true, or to what extent it's even logical...but I heard if you freeze it for a couple days and then take it out it should be fine.  Sounds crazy to me, but you may not have much to lose.

You probably heard it from somebody's grandma in Florida. Makes sense too, since it's even warmer and more humid than Georgia, where I'm convinced I'm brining the little hatchlings home from the store in my paper flour sacks.

Looking it up and giving it a try - thanks Lindsay!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Bulk food storage, sources, and buying experiences.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 33 queries.