Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79770 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. It was incredible.

The scope of his brilliance, I mean its fucking profound the things he said. Its also pretty amusing he wrote about it during the American Revolution while working under Townshend (of the Townshend Acts fame) for the British government, so his insights on "the troubles in our American Colonies" have historic significance. The book was published in 1776, the same year as The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, and I don't know what it is about books like this, but they're timeless. People will be reading both books hundreds of years from now. I don't even think thats what Smith wanted, because he very casually references his contemporary philosophers, without knowing for certain that history would remember "Mr. Hume."

I totally recommend it. Its long, but not a difficult read. The language is straightforward.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.