Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread  (Read 79167 times)

Branlin

• View Profile
Re: Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2010, 07:44:49 PM »

I'm part way into Peter Schiff's "The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets."

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »

I got the audiobook of In Defense of Food to listen to on a car trip, and it was excellent.  Not just the book itself, but the reader does it perfectly.  So I got the audiobook of The Omnivore's Dilemma because it has the same reader.  It's great as well so far, though I wish I'd listened to them in reverse. 

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation - The Omnivore's Dilemma has been on my Audible wishlist for a few months. I'll add In Defense of Food and move it down the list below TOD - which will be my Jan nonfiction pick.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »

Pythias by Frederick Pohl.  http://www.feedbooks.com/book/4372.pdf

A real short story, should take no more than 20 minutes to read.  I think the punchline really encapsulates the anarchist perspective against government and the problem of democracy.  Wow, I love Fred Pohl.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »

I've got three going at the moment. I've got to stop doing that! The first is "On the Oceans of Eternity," by S. M. Sterling, which is slow going in comparison to the first two books of the series. When I get bored with that, which is often, I turn to Bill Bryson's hilarious "A Walk in the Woods," about his hiking of the Appalachian trail. Then, in the car I've got David Sedaris' "When You Are in Flames."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »

Just finished Dirty Little Secrets and Red Star in Orbit today. Lost of time on my hands without a home internet connection.

Dirty Little Secrets was a horrible horrible book that I don't recommend to anyone. I only finished it out of a sense of follow-through that I have, and an obsessive personality. It was a stupid series of articles about military secrets that are available openly, and only relevant to pimple-faced circle-jerking military enthusiasts.

Red Star in Orbit was a fairly good, if overtly jingoistic book about the Soviet side of the space race. The friend who lent it to me worked for NASA around the time of the Challenger Disaster, and we got into a few discussions as to who really won the space race. Up to now, I never really appreciated how well propaganda worked because I really did think the Soviets did everything first, and there never really intended to go to the moon.

It was written in a time period before the Mir, the shuttle disaster, and the fall of Communism,after all the major space feats, but before space became irrelevant to most Americans. It was interesting, but not engrossing.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »

Just finished reading G-d is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

Overall it was ok. He made a few very good points, and many bad ones. If you're already an atheist, it'll be a circle jerk of a read, and if you're religious, but don't like challenges, it can be a tough read.

I guess he thinks its cute or something to call people mammals.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »

I guess he thinks its cute or something to call people mammals.

It irritates religious people. He's in the business of doing that.

Personally I'm just glad that he's out there heading off bullshit about deathbed conversions.

April 22, 2011-
"The letter also dismissed the notion of a possible deathbed conversion, in which he claimed that "redemption and supernatural deliverance appears even more hollow and artificial to me than it did before."

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/04/hitchens_address_to_american_a.php

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

yamnuska

« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

Screw the roses, send me the thorns, I'm getting into the funky stuff as I like to call it, trying to spice things up, slowly.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »

Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Bill Brasky

« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »

American Gods, and For Whom the Bell Tolls. 

Probly won't read 'em both at the same time.  But theres no reason why I couldn't.

Smart Pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 12, 2011, 02:31:48 AM »

I’m reading Middlemarch by George Eliot, I read the book once and this is the second time I’m reading it, reading books is one of my favorite hobbies.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »

TANSTAAFL by some economist. I picked it up because of the title, and it was an interesting read. The book revolves around the costs of environmental pollution,and how to pay for the impact. Since the author is an economist, and not an environmentalist, he takes a dim view of legal methods, altruism, and conservation to change human behavior. He instead would monetize damage.

Makes sense.

-Dennis Goddard

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

American Gods 

And...? It's been on my wishlist forever. Last time I went online to get it, I bought Ananzi Boys instead. Don't know why I haven't read this yet. Should I move it over from wishlist to shopping cart?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »

Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Suess and Mickie's Jokebook, out loud, over and over again.
They are very riveting. :(

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »

Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Suess and Mickie's Jokebook, out loud, over and over again.
They are very riveting. :(

For yourself?

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Yet Another "What are you reading?" Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.